Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question What do I do to begin a career in firefighting?

I am interested in looking into a career in firefighting. Although, I must admit I don't know what I need to do first, like if I am required to take the physical and Civil Service exams before attending any type of firefighting/tech classes at a JC, or if a department looks at my exam results and then hires me on part time, assuming I do well enough, and sends me to a Fire Academy for training or what?

I will be moving to Northwest Ohio, Findlay area, in the near future, and I see there are classes relating to Fire Officer and technology available at the Owens CC campus. Should I be looking into possibly attending Owens(Findlay campus) in the fall? I'd apperciate any suggestions on what I need to do to begin.

Thanks.

http://www.owens.edu/academic_dept/p...erv/index.html

You may want to look here for you college education. You can take the civil service exams but most give extra points if you have college, are a paramedic, former military. Even witha degree doesn't mean you will get on....that is just a stepping stone. And no you don't need to take any physical exams or anything..just contact the college and talk to a guidance counsler and they will help you from their.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Just keep your eyes and ears open for civil service tests and take as many as you can find. As ff7134 said, having your degree, or EMT/Paramedic, or being former military will usually get you bonus points but dosen't guarantee you a job. Most full-time departments will send you to their acadamey after you get hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

My advice would be to join a volunteer department to gain some knowledge of the fire service and to go to Paramedic school.

Most of the career departments in this area require you to be a Paramedic before being hired and the knowledge gained through training at a VFD will help you on the tests for career departments.

I'm sure there are many volunteer departments around the Findlay area (although Findlay itself is career). Most will have some type of residency restrictions due to home response. For example, my department requires all members to live within the township limits or within a 1 mile radius of our station.

I don't believe Owens offers a Paramedic program but the University of Toledo and Medical College of Ohio at Toledo do.

Best of luck. You will find this business challeging sometimes and boring sometimes but the brotherhood (& sisterhood) of your fellow firefighters is something you won't find anywhere else.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Originally posted by WTFD10
    My advice would be to join a volunteer department to gain some knowledge of the fire service and to go to Paramedic school.

As a chief of a volly department, I can say this is probably good advise.

But I'd like to add - after we give you some initial training, please be decent enough to stick around. Don't just use us and our training resources as a stepping stone.

I just wanted to echo what everyone else has said........

Since I will be working part time and also be taking a few college courses during the week. What weekly responsibilities come as being a member in a Volunteer Fire Department?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MysteryGhost
    Since I will be working part time and also be taking a few college courses during the week. What weekly responsibilities come as being a member in a Volunteer Fire Department?
    It varies from dept. to dept. My department requires you to make 20% of runs per month plus attend training every Wednesday (offered in the morning and evening).

You will also have to attend a basic 36 hour firefighter class and most likely some sort of EMS training either First Responder (around 70 hours) or EMT-Basic (around 150 hours). This will likely need to be done during your first year.

Look up departments in Hancock County on this site's Firehouse Network and give them a call to see what their requirements are.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

It varies from dept. to dept. My department requires you to make 20% of runs per month plus attend training every Wednesday (offered in the morning and evening).
    Just curious Moe,
    What happens if someone dosen't meet these requirements?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by NFD159

Just curious Moe,
    What happens if someone dosen't meet these requirements?
    If they do not have legit excuses, such as most runs happened during your work hours, out of town on vacation for two weeks, etc., it goes from a verbal warning, written warning, 30 day suspension, dismissal from department.

Everybody can have a streak where most of the runs happen during the day or whatever and you miss them. (Every working structure fire we had in 2003 happened while I was at work but I never fell under 20% because I was always around for the ill person or in-service assist calls ) Falling under the 20% once a year or so is not made into a big deal but if it consistently happens (without legit reasons) they will start the process.

They will crack down faster for missing drills since we have them available morning and evening.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

If they do not have legit excuses, such as most runs happened during your work hours, out of town on vacation for two weeks, etc., it goes from a verbal warning, written warning, 30 day suspension, dismissal from department.
    That's pretty much the same as our policy. It just dosen't seem to get enforced very often.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by NFD159

That's pretty much the same as our policy. It just dosen't seem to get enforced very often.
    I'm not gonna get into that here but let me say: Brother I hear ya!

S.S.D.D.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information