MembersZone Subscriber

Default chiefs job at rit call

Hello,
    My dept. has been working for the past 7 months to complete are RIT Team. we have been developing SOGs, and Bylaws, and have been performing monthly drills. We run a nine man crew to calls: 1 Chief, 1 Rit team leader, 1 ( driver only ), 6 rit crewmen (workers). we are a volly dept and have 3 chief. The chief is set to go to the IC, The Rit leader is set to command the crews and report findings to the chief which would go to the IC as needed, as well as dispatch the crews and duties as needed, and perform accountability for his men. the driver stays with the truck in case we need anything else then the rit equipment, and we use 2 teams of 3 men.
    1. is this example wrong? and can it be improved?
    2. what would we do if 2 of are chiefs wanted to go to the call. what would be the best job for the other chief?

Any ideas or helping insite would be great. Thanks Dean

Stay home and cover calls in his own district.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

MembersZone Subscriber

Dean,

I suggest you contact Mineola, Garden City Park, Williston Park and East Williston. Their RIT agreement is the best I've ever seen for the Suburban Volunteer Situation like yours. Trust me, I know. I designed it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default E229Lt

please let me know what you have to offer, any new information to research would be very helpful. thanks dean
    deanmc141@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Default Afraid to get dirty?

What would be wrong with him/them putting a (GASP!) SCBA on, and (GASP AGAIN!) being a worker bee? Pry the portable radio out of their hand, and hand them a set of (GASP!) irons!

-Firm believer of the C.H.A.O.S. Theory! (Chief Has Arrived On Scene!)

-Firm believer of the "Fire Square" or "Tetrahedron": HEAT, FUEL, OXYGEN, AND CHIEF OFFICERS- Remove any one, and the fire goes out!

Forum Member

Default Good resource

Jim Crawford of www.rapidintervention.com wrote a great article on man-power and RIT called "The Rule of 3". You can find it here: http://www.rapidintervention.com/med...c/january2004/

Anyone who is on, starting, thinking about or heard of a RIT team should read the article and then browse his site. The Forums have a lot of great info as well.

In the event of a working structure fire or other incidents,
    The Incident Command System is set up. If your getting dispatched
    as RIT or FAST team. Your Chief can be assigned another task depending
    on what is needed. Its up to the IC to use him or he can pack up with the rest of you guys.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

Forum Member

Our FAST assignment is 5 members, none of which are Chiefs. We leave them home to be Chief in their own town. 1 member of the FAST will go to the IC Post and remain there, 2 others will do a quick walk around, the last 2 will get the equipment ready. We will place or have ladders placed where we feel they should be. When the FAST is activated on scene, 2 of the 4 guys will make entry and locate the downed FF, they will then contact the other 2 for what equipment (if any) is needed.

It's worked great at many drills, thankfully we have not had to activate at a fire call.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information