Lightbulb Snow Removal Detail

Hey all. Hope everyone is well. I was just wondering what your department does for snow removal from fire hydrants. Here in New Jersey we got about 10 inches of snow on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, and Wednesday night we had a work detail in which each company cleared snow from all the hydrants in their respective districts. I imagine most departments do the same thing, but does anyone's community have an ordinance that mandates that the property owner closest to the hydrant clear a space around it when it snows? Just a thought...
    Junior Firefighter
    Ridgefield Pk. NJ Hose Co. 4
    "Pride of the Park"

Forum Member

Well, if we would ever get enough snow here I would tell ya!! LOL

We got around 4 inches early this week, right now its coming down there saying like around 3 inches by morning. Lets just hope No school tomorrow.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

There is a law against speeding while driving a car. Does it keep people from speeding? There is a law against killing someone. Does it keep people from killing? Do you really think an ordinance to clean snow from your hydrant would mean something to anyone (other than a FF)?

An ordinance would not hurt, but I would not count on it meaning much.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Myself and a few other younger members of my department actually look forward to shoveling the hydrants in our district. It gets to the point where we actually compete against to see who can clear the hydrant the fastest. Its great exercise, sometimes we even put packs on just to increase the workout.

Forum Member

If it snows on a Monday we will make it a dept detail to go around and shovel out hydrants. If its any other day a few guys will get togehter and do it. Jeez you got 10 inches...we got about 6.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have to go dig all of the fire hydrants out that are covered by snow I'm usually the one shafted to do it.

if a person calls then they will send out explorers

Forum Member

As a home owner,resident,neighbor it would behuave you to shovel at least the two closet to you.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Our city has a law that as a land owner you have to clear the sidewalks and any fire plugs on you land with in 24 hours of the snow fall ending. 24 hours after the snow ends the city sends out crews to clean sidewalks and fire plugs. They take a before and after photo of the work and mail the land owner a bill for the work. most bills are about $100. many land owners only need one bill and they take care of the snow removal

The town pays a group of people to clean municipal walks, and fire plugs along them free of snow w/ in 24 hours... The property owners are responsible for clearing walks on their property w/ in 24 hours of the storm ending. Private property owners are responsible for fire plugs on their own property. They fine 50.00 for uncleared walks; and 100.00 for uncleared fire plugs. The Water Authority/Hose Truck can use their plug-steam system to clear the snow and thaw the plug w/ in a few minutes.
    Last edited by historyjunkie; 02-04-2004 at 01:28 PM.

Thread Information