Forum Member

Question Firefighters pay- HELP

Is it just my department or everyones, i have been a lieutenantfor 5 years, and with this city for a total of 10. we are a growing department. there are drivers in this department with alot less time than me that make more than i do. Human resources claim it's because they keep raising the starting salaries and new positions that let these people catch up to me. is there any thing i can do, or am i stuck? Are there any laws that pertain to this? or what can i do. Please let me know.

as anyone run into this problem please reply!!!!
    Thanks and be safe!!
    Last edited by fdofficer4; 01-29-2004 at 09:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Uh Oh here it comes....

Can you say O-R-G-A-N-I-Z-E
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

the 4-1-4

Is your department a union job ?

Forum Member

Default And when you do organize

BE SURE that officers such as Captains and Lieutenants are included in your bargaining unit.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

You mean they pay people to fight fire????

Forum Member

unfortunately we do not have a union, we are in the atlanta area and i can't convince these people that we need a union. the department is organized. we just have alot of growing pains. wejust started in the past couple of years paying for drivers positions and extra for paramedics. this is how they catch up to the older folks.

Forum Member

It is tough when you dont have collective bargaining rights. The members of your department are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to dealing with management. It is hard to convince members to unionize for a myriad of reasons. Retaliation and intimidation are not unheard of. Members do not understand why they should pay dues even though they very well might never get a contract. I would talk to some of the Union people in the Metro area. See what they have to say. Dont advertise it. Find sone other interested members of your department and ask lots of questions. Good luck. I know from personal experience how difficult it can be.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Just a question. If everyone in the department already feels they want a pay raise, why should they unionize? Can't they just pick a few members to go and argue on their behalf? Pay dues to a union, so they can pick leaders of their local union, to go argue for a raise. It sounds the same to me except for adding the pay dues part.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out the IAFF site at www.Iaff.org or their "Build Your Union" site at
    http://www.iaff.org/build/org.html. Or since your near Atlanta you could contact their local union or the one in DeKalb County.

Should you organize? Ask yourself this, if we don't look out for our own brothers and sisters who will?
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Thread Information