Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Denis Leary to play a firefighter!

Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- FX has placed a series order for comedian Denis Leary's ``Rescue Me,'' signing up for 13 episodes of the one-hour drama, the network announced.

``Rescue Me'' is about the lives of a group of New York City firefighters. Leary stars as a firefighter who's coping with the fear of his job in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

The announcement was made last week by Nick Grad, vice president of series development for FX. Production of ``Rescue Me'' is scheduled to begin in April and will be shot in New York.

``It's about time there is a show that looks at the lives and great work of New York City firefighters and what goes on beneath the surface of the job you see,'' Leary said in a statement. ``I am excited to portray a firefighter. I have many close friends and family members that are firefighters and many of the stories and characters will be drawn from them.''

Leary, 46, is a native of Worcester, Mass., and a cousin of one the six Worcester firefighters who died in a 1999 warehouse blaze. The actor founded The Leary Firefighters Foundation in response to the blaze.
    I think Leary could really pull this off. At least, his heart is in the right place. I read somewhere that he lost a cousin in Worcester warehouse fire. Anyone know for sure.
    This is a show that I will schedule some TV time for.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

I was sorry to see THE JOB go off the air. It was a damn funny show.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

I think Leary could really pull this off. At least, his heart is in the right place. I read somewhere that he lost a cousin in Worcester warehouse fire. Anyone know for sure.
    CR my man. Read your own post.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Yes CR thats why he started the Leary fund. I think he will
    try and do us right. He is funny as H%ll every movie I have seen
    him in cracks me up! And the positive publicity his fund brings
    is not hurting us at all in these "troubled times" all the good
    press might MIGHT help in light of all the bad press lately

Denis Leary's cousin was Jeremiah Lucey, one of the Worcester 6.

If he wasn't a comedian... he would be a jake!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Is Leary writing the show along with starring in it? If not, then we have to hope the writers are worth a damn. Even the best actor can't make poor writing work.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Duff:
    Apparently, that's where I read it!
    It's my understanding that Denis is going to draw upon his friends and family for story lines. So, if he isn't writing, then I am sure that he will have creative control.
    Like MIKEY, I was disappointed that "The Job" was not renewed.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Denis Leary's cousin was Jeremiah Lucey, one of the Worcester 6.

If he wasn't a comedian... he would be a jake!
    I know a few jakes that the opposite is true!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Good God, would you even have to call Leary playing a Jake acting? His natural personality, well, fits. I soooo can picture him walking out of a juicy fire, and start bitchin' between drags on a cigarette that if the Truck Monkeys had taken any longer to open up his nozzle would've melted...

He's on a local station (WAAF) relatively frequently, and he's just a great guy to listen to -- especially the juxstaposition between his genuine caring and really sarcastic sense of humor.

The Leary Firefighters Foundation was founded in 2000 by actor Denis Leary in response to a fire that broke out in an abandoned warehouse in downtown Worcester, Massachusetts, his hometown, in December of 1999. Over 75 firefighters ran into what some have called "the perfect fire" and six of them never came out. One was Mr. Leary's first cousin, Jerry Lucey and another Lt. Tommy Spencer, was a childhood friend and high school classmate. To date, The Foundation has distributed over one million dollars to Worcester Area Fire Departments for the purpose of improving equipment and training facilities.

http://www.learyfirefightersfoundation.org/history.html
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Now, if he could just convince Christopher Walken to play an officer role. Man, I love Walken!

I think this should be a good show. Hopefully it's something that will be around for awhile

Thread Information