FH Mag/.com Contributor

Default Might there be hope?!!

Riddle me this Batman:

Total Vehicle Dollars if 25% based on post-Admin Costs:

$750,000,000 * .95 * .25 = $178,125,000

Vehicle Total thru Round 31: $179,943,449

Total Vehicle Dollars if 25% based on Total Program:

$750,000,000 * .25 = $187,500,000

Considering that they have gotten close but never over (since it would be a violation of the law) the vehicle total yet (key word, yet), doesn't it seem possible that there's $7,556,551 left for vehicles?

Of course I post this, and the way fate has been treating me lately (think baby and diaper), I'll get my DJ along with everyone else. Details.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

Exclamation Misery

Anyone have a “best guess” on when those of us that are still impatiently waiting will be put out of our misery (dear johns)??

I still have a little hope but the light is getting pretty dim.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Forgot to keep the theme of the week:

"What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?"

USFA hasn't updated their numbers that I've seen so I don't know how much overall dough is left. They can't be waiting too much longer. I would venture that we'll all be either really happy or really sad come next week.

either really happy or really sad come next week.
    but at least we would know.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

To also stay with this weeks theme,

"It's good to be the King"

Still waiting!! No 1199, No questions, No Dear John!

Keeping fingers crossed for out brush truck we want.

Forum Member

Unhappy Strike 3...

We submitted our application April 10th, as early as possible as instructed. Absolutely no word from FEMA to date. With things seeming to be winding down, I called our congressman's office today to see if they could get us any info... Coincidentally they said they received an e-mail today saying we were denied...3 years in a row. Based on what I have seen in our county, I can't figure out what it takes....

Forum Member

Angry any one else have any news??

Has anyone else heard from FEMA or from their congressman?

Forum Member

Default I have hope!

" In my hands I have the 15.....damn, 10 comandments..."

I heard from Ms. Hargrove at FEMA Friday, needing to re- update the 1199A I updated in December. They lost the hard copy I fedexed them. After about an hour she said she found it. So I ask her the obvious question..."Is this a good sign?" she laughed and said "I believe so."

So to start a new week and new movie lines....
    " ...and he tells me I will regain total conciousness on my death bed, so I got that going for me."

Hang in there. We got our first grant this year, which enabled us to purchase a new aerial/truck. As long as there's money left, there's a chance!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

The latest round of Dear John letters are being sent out by FEMA this week. Unfortunately, we were on the receiving end this year...again. For those still in limbo, contact your Senator or Congressman(woman), they received a list of rejected applicants earlier in the week. They have no information of successful applicants, but if you're not on Try Again Next Year list, you still have a chance. There's still a sizeable amount of money left to finish out the rounds.

Whitey

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Right there with you Whitey. Just opened up ours too. Good and above average marks, but not high enough to be in the winners circle.

Guess I helped so many other departments get some dough I helped us right out of the money. Oh well, I can sleep with that. At least our biggest need is a ladder truck so I certainly count us well off compared to some of the people buying new toys. It was fun while it lasted. On to next year's application. Congrats to those that didn't read a Dear John, if you haven't gotten anything else yet, you will get the good news shortly.

Forum Member

Angry dang, dang dang!

Just got our dear John, 0 for 3 but at least we made it to peer review this year. Anyone heard anything about the fire prevention grants?

Getting ready for the next application........

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Vest Grants

Got our Dear John today as well. That's 0 for 2, but we, too made it into review and at least through the first two rounds. Unfortunately, we have to now do without some necessary and needed equipment due to funding, but there's always next year. Good luck to all through next year's grants.

Got our Dear John today too. We're 1 for 3. Got money in 02 for turnout, gear, hose, scba bottles.

All we asked for this year was $35,000 to buy a new 4x4 pickup and a skid pump unit to make a brush truck.

Just got our dear John, 0 for 3 but at least we made it to peer review this year. Anyone heard anything about the fire prevention grants?
    I think they were supposed to be out late January to mid-February.

Add us to the DJ list. 0 for 3. Oh well, at least I know I can go to the company a couple towns north of me and excercise on their brand new treadmills and stairclimbers. Yup, they won a grant. God knows, exercise equipment is much more needed than turnout gear.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default It DOES make sense ! !

Bones,

It REALLY does make sense. Like you, we got DJ'ed today, but here is how I look at it. Since we did not get to replace our 20 year old SCBA's we really do not need exercise equipment since they are steel, weight a ton, and are not certifiable any longer. Our newest turn out gear is 15 years old, and comes back from the cleaners with “take out of service,” or “not repairable” notes attached, but it is all we have, so we still use it. And that was not good enough. I guess what we have is better than the rubber coats and no bunker pants I started out with. We are a small volunteer department that covers an Elementary school, Junior high school, and Senior high school, total over 900 kids. But that did not matter.

By the way, last year I attended 3 FEMA grant workshops, 2 grant writing classes, and read 2 grant writing books – total cost close to $1000.00 out of my pocket. Next year, I will just give it to the department. Maybe they can buy some exercise equipment with it.

Twenty Five years service, Firefighter, EMT, Chief, Fire Board, I am done. I am no longer going to ask people to risk their life and not be able to at least give them the bare minimum protections. Good Luck to the rest of you. Stay Safe.
    Last edited by RedRider; 02-04-2004 at 10:52 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Bones, we can go to the dept. north of us that got money last year and bought so much 5" hose that they didn't have room on all their trucks for it. They told me the other day that if we needed about 500' more at a fire, they'd throw it on a pickup and bring it over. It's laying on the floor in their station. They'll never use it. Another dept. north of us got $225k for a truck and now they don't know how they'll spend that much on it. We just borrowed the money for one and could only get the price tag up to $170k for pretty much everything we wanted on it. They'll have to spend another 80k. Gosh, that 80k would have bought us an awful lot of SCBAs. And we have to pay ours back, they don't.
    0/3 - maybe next year.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Add us to the DJ list. 0 for 3. Oh well, at least I know I can go to the company a couple towns north of me and excercise on their brand new treadmills and stairclimbers. Yup, they won a grant. God knows, exercise equipment is much more needed than turnout gear.
    This is an aspect of the FIRE Act grants that needs to be CHANGED. I hope to goodness that somebody among the powers-that-be recognize this, and does something about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good comments from all. I hear you on the "fitness" equipment - gotta hang the bunker gear somewhere I guees. Whatever happened to running around the block - pushups comp's in the truck bay - pullup bars out back?

Got DJ'd this year - made it all the way to the end. Gave my heart a workout(as do the steel air bottles on the 4 structures fires so far this year). Was successful last year though on getting a tanker. It ain't big and it ain't fancy but it does it's job very well. First grant I ever wrote and I didn't attend the grant writing classes. But I will attend the workshops this year.

Noticed that for 2004 they are changing things - no one who received a grant for a vehicle the first three years can reapply in that category. And I agree with it. Maybe in '05 they can apply that too other categories. Have seen dept's writing $250k checks on new ladder/towers get grants for bunker gear, running fewer calls than us. But, I guess some is luck on who "peer reviews" your submission and some is on "need".

Will reapply in 2004 for SCBA's again. Probably buy a couple of refurb's to carry us over.

Good luck to all on the '04's and I hear what your saying. Might even call my Congressman again - he has been very good working with us in the past. Try and make the playing field a little fairer.

Thread Information