Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Newbie Needs Advice

Hi everyone, I'm 29 years old and am looking into a career in fire fighting. I just moved to SoCal (Irvine) and I don't know anyone who is in the business. I'm hoping this forum site can help me out, did I come to the right place because I didn't notice any forums here for hopefuls or beginners???

Either way, I'm a male, in good shape, have a BA in sociology and I've been a youth counselor for almost 3 years now. Everyone that I mention my goals to says that firefighting positions out here are rare to come by, I didn't expect less, but they really make it sound dismal! Should I just pay my way thru an academy at the local jc, do volunteer work and apply to the city and county depts.? I'd appreciate any tips.

Thank you

Smile

Welcome to the site you can find alot of useful info here. I can't give you any other advice other than ask around your area and see what you can find. Maybe someone a little closer to your area could be of some help...

MembersZone Subscriber CrossBro1's Avatar

The best advice that I can give you is:
    If this is the job you want then you have to believe you can get it no matter how difficult it is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies Maltese and Cross.

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum. Looks like I'll have a lot to do searches on in here. I guess I'll apply to as many depts. that are hiring as possible and be prepared to put myself through an academy, possibly at Santa Ana's fire academy?? Anyone on this board local to Irvine, CA? What routes did you find necessary or beneficial?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not from your area, but I have some advice. Just try checking out your local fire station. In my experience, firefighters love to try help people, and they just might be able to help open a few doors for you.

Default Here we go...

First- You work in the region protected by the
    Orange County Fire Auth. (www.ocfa..org)(my old
    stomping grounds) and they are not hiring career
    FFs now, but they are always looking for Reserves.

Also- GO TO www.firecareers.com. There is an
    awesome "community board" to share local
    California info and thats where you can
    subscibe and get up to the day job info.

Lastly- You need to go to www.eaststress.com
    and get a jump on your oral boards.

PM me for more info...CalFFBou

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm origionaly(sp) from newport beach, and I know from experence how hard it is to get a job on the coastal cities. I would try and get a job at a dept. a litte farther inland. Just my .02 though.
    *Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Member*
    EMT-b (in training)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, for all the good info.

firedawg803: That probably is the best thing to do. That is also probably one of the harder tasks for me to follow. Is that as simple as driving up to one in the afternoon and asking to come in and talk?

CALFFBOU: I will apply to the reserve program at OCFA and I can definitely use the info from www.eaststress.com.

ryanzick: Yeah, it looks like I will have to apply to a broader region. By further inland, do you mean San Bernardino, Ontario, etc. Either way, I'll look into them all.

This job, more than many others, IS about networking as the people here have hinted at. Getting your face known to people is going to help, and asking questions about where you can go for a good chance is something that should pay off. Yes, I think every brother in the biz would bend over backward for another who is interested. Best of luck, and keep us posted!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

You might want to try looking at any military bases around your area. Iím a captain in the fire department and my base is now hiring from off the streets. You must have your minimum standards, which for the government is, Firefighter 1 and a current CPR card. Now having your minimum standards only qualifies you for GS-4, and you you only have 1 year from the date you got hired to get your Firefighter 2 and Airport Firefighter certs.

After doing so you are promoted to GS-5. We have hired about 10 volunteers from local departments and we currently are in the process of hiring some more. In the past you pretty much have to have served in the Military to get hired on a Federal Fire Dept, but things have changed for the better.

Good Luck!

Thread Information