Thread: leather boots

chrisa
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question leather boots

I am going to be purchasing boots in the near future and am thinking about leather ones. Any suggestions on a certain brand. How do they run as far as sizes? Before I spend alot of money I want to get some input from people that already have them.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Forum Member

Ok just FYI, if you go in the search and type in leather boots you will get alot of posts about this.

I love my leather boots, The cheapest ones are Thorogood, which are the ones I have, I will get a better pair later when I am certified. Since I got leather boots I couldnt go back to rubbers.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

I have the Ranger 14" pullups and they are the best and like backdraft said once you have leathers you will never go back. The only set back is breaking them in at first they are really tight but once you use them a few times they fit very comfortably.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

I've got the thorogood pull up leathers as well, I love them. Make sure you get them to fit. They should feel like regular lace up boots.
    put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

EMT
    Firefighter
    Hazmat Tech.
    911 EMD dispatcher
    IPN Dispatcher

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Warrington from what I heard are the best, but pricy.

Forum Member

Its is true the Pro-Warrintons are pretty expensive. However they are well worth the money. I have had my Warringtons for about 7 or 8 months now and I absolutely love them. I would never in a million years go back to those piece of junk rubber boots.

Forum Member

I used to wear Ranger Shoe Fit rubber boots and then switched to Warrington-Pro leather 14" pull ons about four years ago and they are the greatest. I would never go back to rubber again. Some will say that after having leather boots on for a time will hurt your feet but I have not found that out. Just this year we had a major structure fire and I continuously wore my Warrigtons for fourteen straight hours and my feet were fine. Best boots I have ever worn. Would never wear anything else.

Forum Member

got the Servus boots ...........took awhile to break in.........definetly search the forums and the new Warrington 5000's do look sweet.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I have had a pair of HAIX(sp?) for two years now. Great boot, wearing good. If i had to buy again today I would give the new Pro's a look.

Forum Member

I have used both warrington and thorogood. I will not go back to rubber boots. I have seen all sizes (both full and half) Depending on how many pairs you are purchasing you might get a discount due to ordering a larger quantity

MembersZone Subscriber

My 2 Cents:

I wore rubber boots for years, to include three/quarters. Fortunately almost 10 years ago I got one of the first pairs of leather boots that Ranger put out as part of their wear test program. After 10 years I would NEVER wear another pair of rubber boots.

I have worn Haix, Servus, Ranger, and Warrington. Any of those leather boots beat a pair of rubber boots, but Haix or Warrington would be my pick.

Haix (http://www.haix.de/us/startseite.php)
    Germans make great cars and great boots! I actually got my first pair of Haix boots, in Germany before they were available in the US. They were the 10" zip-up model called Fire Flash. They fit really great right out of the box and they only took about 2 weeks to brake in. They also have a rubber toe cap which does great when it comes to wear and tear. I am wearing these anytime I am not in bunker gear, primarily for technical rescue work when I may be on my feet for 4-8 hours non-stop.

Warrington (www.warringtonltd.com)
    I have worn both the zip-ups and pull-ons. I am currently wearing pair of the new 5000's. I am not real big on the fact that the lower portion of the boot is fabric. It holds dirt & debris and is hard to get clean. I am also a bit concerned on how the fabric will wear in the long run. On the other hand they added the ribbed "power toe" which is great. The one thing I hated about leather boots was that I wore out the leather covering on the toes in as little as 6 months. I am a Training Officer and run Recruit Classes so my boots see a lot of wear and tear. So far the toes on the 5000's look almost brand new after almost 6 months of wear. I wear these with my bunker gear.

I would recommend any of the above, but you REALLY need to try the boots on before you buy them. Some of the boots run narrow or wide, some are tall or short, they are all made a little different. You really need to try out the different manufacturers and models and find the one that fits your foot and lower leg the best. Usually the best way to do this is to go to a trade show where the different manufacturers/reps will have all of the different models and sizes for you to try on. Also don’t buy solely based on price, the old saying “you get what you pay for” is true. Spending a little extra money and making the investment in a good pair of leathers is well worth it.

Good Luck, Stay Safe,
    Mike Richardson
    Captain, Training Officer
    St Matthews FD, Louisville KY
    "aka TIman"
    richardson@stmatthewsfd.com

TI Training = www.safe-ir.com

The information and views above are in no way associated with my employer, and are strictly my own.

i own the warrington pro 5000 I have had them for about a year now and they still look like new. the toes aren't even scuffed they have more features than any other boot I have seen. As for an earlier post I have not had any problems with dirt getting embedded in the kevlar fabric they have faded some but are still structually sound.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Chris,

I began wearing the Warrington Pro leather about six years ago and would not even consider wearing rubber boots again.

During that time I switched my entire engine company over to leather and all agree they are the best; with two exceptions, who continue to wear their rubber boots.

Leather fit better and are significantly more comfortable, reducing fatigue and increasing safety.

I my opinion, they are the only way to go.

Stay safe,

Fireman488

Forum Member

I have a pair of Thorogoods and love them. It took a while to break them in, but now I would never go back to rubber boots.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

I selected boots that were a little tight, they broke in really well
    and just like everyone else on this forum I'll never go back to rubber boots again! Make sure that you select a brand with the cap to protect the toe area from wear.

You get what you pay for. Yes - the Warringtons are a bit pricey, but they are hands down the most comfortable bunker boot I have ever worn.

I have a 2 pairs - the 3007 (10 inch zip ups) and the 4000 (pull up bunker boot with Kevlar Uppers).

I alternate them - and frequently wear the zip ups when I am required to wear a boot with a safety toe.

Comfort is worth the money.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Count me in.........

My lovely bride gave me a pair of Warrington Pro's for fathers day last June. Great fit, comfortable, look decent, (I shine them up, just like any other boot). Next time out, I'll get Warrington again. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Just for something a little different, try highmark shoes. In particular, their "Taipan" boot. Highmark is a small(ish) australian company that provide the footwear for my department. I too, used rubber for quite some time, got my set of taipan's and have never turned back.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~highmark/

The fire service issue of the taipain comes with a Zip-up tounge.

Forum Member

Default NFPA?

Dave,

From looking at that website it doesn't appear that those are made for interior firefighting. Might be good boots but I am not sure how they would hold up on a job.

I have Warrington Pro 14" Leathers with zipper and love them, I had to get 2 sizes larger than my regular size for them to fit but I love them. I am hoping to get a pair of pull-ons but I am afraid they will not have the "Snug" fit of my zip-ups I don't want the feeling of them sloshing around on my feet that stinks.

John

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll never go back to those rubber boots, leather for my head, leather for my feet.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wear the 14" Ranger pull-ups. I've worn rubber and zip up leathers also and the pull-ups work the best for me. Like someone said above, they were really tight when I first wore them, but they broke in after two weeks or so. They're really comfortable and I've never had a problem with cold feet like I did with rubbers. After being spoiled by my leathers, I never want to wear a pair of rubber clunkers again.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

Forum Member

We recently purchased Pro Warrington boots for our entire department. Everyone loves them with no complaints at all. They were a bit pricey when priced individually but when we purchased a large quantity through a total fire group dealer we paid about $190 a pair.

Forum Member

Thumbs up leather boots

The pro warringtons in my opinion are the best boot out there...I have tried a few and will never get a diff pair..

Forum Member

Dave,

From looking at that website it doesn't appear that those are made for interior firefighting. Might be good boots but I am not sure how they would hold up on a job.
    Your very correct, the boots listed on their website are not made for interior firefighting. There is however, a variation of the taipan that is. It comes with a chemical/heat resistant sole.... reinforced sole.... treated leather... quick zip-up outer-tounges.. etc. all the trappings of a leather firefighting boot.

To get further information on them, and a US dealer (If any exist..) you'd have to contact them directly.

District Chief

Tradition Fire Boots. www.fireboots.com

They are made in Italy and are some of the best that I have seen. They far exceed the characteristics of the HAIX Boot and are constructed to eliminate the "bent over" syndrome of most leather boots.

The fit is very close to your regular shoe size and they come with different thickness insoles to help you adjust the fit. I have a friend who has a pair and he swears by them.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information