MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kansas City, KS Fire Dept

Anyone know the real deal with respect to the current hiring process at KCK FD??

I heard anywhere from 2000 Applicants to 4000 applicants and only 50- 80 openings?

Do they prefer Paramedics?? Does an EMT have a shot at getting hired there??

I have experience on a paid dept. also have more certs than I need for the job, what are my chances??

Anybody with any info, rumor or fact........please respond.

Stay safe

Mort

MembersZone Subscriber

Default kckfd

rememeber, its all rumors...

for what it's worth. they HAVE TO fill at least 60 spots asap, b/c they are taking over ambulance service in their city as of july. they need emts to drive and medics to pretend they're god from the passenger seat

i have no idea how many applied this time around. when i took their test last year, i'd like to say that around 200 tested. ballpark. they have a little trouble getting medics (like everywhere else) so they're a shoe-in. emts will have more competition.

but if your not from around here, then i'll let you know. It's a tough town, they run like rabbits, the guys and women on the department are good people, and the pay and benefits are very solid, comparatively.

-chingon

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks chingon,

I am just having a little hesitation because they start out so low ($27,000) . I know that they top out around ($49,000) in five years but I can't seem to find out what the steps are.

To take this opportunity would result in a significant pay reduction for me and although I don't consider the money a reason to do the job.........I am providing for a family and have to take it all into consideration.

Do you know what the step raises are and when they occur?? If I had to start at $27,000 but knew in a year I would make some of it up that sure would help. If the main pay increase is a big jump at the 4th or 5th year I would have to say it would be tough?? I could always work another job but................

I am currently on a paid dept.........and making a very comfortable living BUT the challenges of a metro dept do interest me for sure.

Thanks !!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default kckfd pay

sorry, brother. i have no idea how the pay system works over there. i know the top in is around 49 in 5 years, which is upper eschelon in kc and environs w/ regards to ff pay. i also know that money goes a lot further here on the no coast. so, depending on where you live, that 27k/yr could "translate" into more than it sounds like in terms of cost of living adjustment. don't be proud, money matters. i have a friend or two living with their moms, or worse, in jersey just to have the job they want. when you have kids, wife, concerns, you got to investigate. a pretty solid source is to go to monstermoving.com to the "compare two cities" section and you can pull up a side by side comparisons of things like average home cost, crime rate, and cost of living in most mid- to large-sized cities so you can get an idea about how things stack up.
    -chingon.

p.s. - i heard the dept. got around 200 new applications and still has about 200 applicants who tested a year ago who will all be ranked and processed as one applicant pool.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I have many good friends on the KCK FD...Here is what I know.

According to the guys there they had 2000-4000 applicants. They sent flyers to anyone who was an EMT in Kansas and I think MO as well using public lists from the states. We'll see how many actually test.

They are looking for EMTs and Paramedics. I am told you will be also FF trained however you will be assigned to the EMS division. There will be opportunities to transfer to fire if desired at some time. (PS-medics ride the Pumper Co's.)

I won't tell you about the city unless you ask, I don't know what you know about there.

The pay is quite good and there are plenty of part-time jobs around the metro area to suplement your income.

As opposed to other areas which lure applicants with higher starting wages but top out in 13-15 years! KCKFD tops out in 5 years around $50,000. A medic as I understand starts at a 3rd year FF.

And they have a contract so no BS like some of the other communities where they change your pay and benefits at will.

You must live in Wyandotte Co. If you are worried that the whole place is ghetto, don't. The Western half is very nice and very affordable.

There is plenty of action there as KCK has a very urban half and very poor population which as we all knows brings its unfortunate side effects. The city has a fire department that is the same size as the Wichita FD but that serves a population about 1/3rd of that. There is plenty of experiences and opportunity for advancement.

Best of Luck

FTM-PTB

FFFRED

I took the written test for KCKFD on Feb 12. Still waiting for the results. There were about 160 who showed on the day I took the test.

So let me get this straight. Those getting hired in May will not be assigned to fire apparatus. They will be assigned to the EMS division and ride the white box!?! No chance of seeing any fire? Do you know of a time frame when they will be hiring for FF positions?

I'm not from the KC area so I'm not too familiar with the city or the way the department is run, so any and all info would be greatly appreciated as I contine the possibility of employment (having to ride the white box is not encouraging at all). I did visit Olathe (suburb of KC) last year and talked to a few guys on the floor there. I herd some pretty interesting stories. From wrecking trucks, hitting civilian vehicles, selling drugs out of fire houses, solicitating a prostitute on duty, to some of the headlines recently of having sex with some women in a firehouse near Westport. Can you confirm or deny any of this? I'm a little concerned of what is going on in some of these houses. This could be KCMO but the guys from Olathe were not too specific. I know surrounding departments don't always have the best things to say about each other so if you know some guys on the floor in KCK, you may know more about these "stories" than what I have heard.

I'd really like to be optimistic about KCK. The metro aspect is appealing from the suburban city that I now live in. Thanks for any info.

gman119

MembersZone Subscriber

Default talking it

first, the facts. new hires will be assigned to medic rigs. you will be crosstrained for fire and eventually (time frames are anybodies guess, too many factors to say) have the chance to bid for an assignment on the rig.
    now, about the olathe boys. no disrespect, but olathe is a white-bread suburb in an economically advantaged county and they don't face the challenges of having 18 stations and the staffing and human relations concerns that go with it. they also don't deal with the problems of an urban department (call volume, call nature, etc.). i know guys on both those deparmtents, and i think alot of some of them, and no so much of some others. isolated examples of bad press can be found on ANY department of ANY size in ANY socio-economic setting. it is simply a question of probability. the more staff you have, the greater your chances of having somebody make the papers with bad news. that's a statistical fact.
    there is a long tradition of bad mouthing other deparmtnets, other stations, other shift, etc. in fire deparments. its sometimes good-natured ribbing, and other times its mean-spiritted, jealous, sniping b/c people in suburbs are scared of cities, but the guys on their departments are envious of the "good calls" and high fire volume. just something to marinate on.
    -chingon

Thanks Chingon

I was hoping new hires would not be assigned to medic rigs but by the sound of your post that is what is going to happen.

Hope I didn't hit a nerve with some of the stories I heard from the "olathe boys".

Just trying to get the stories from the facts. Since I am not from the KC area, and only hearing one side of these stories I was hoping to get the real deal. Hopefully you can respect the fact that I'm just looking to get the truth no matter what it is. I'm trying to find out as much as possible about this department since I am going through the process. It sounds like you work close with KCKFD and getting some input from someone who works close to KCK and knows something about this department was my intension.

Any and all information on the going ons with KCKFD would be appreciated.

Also, during my test I sat across from a medic from MAST. He said the latest rumor was Wyandotte County didn't have the money for the fire department to take over the medic side of things. Any truth in this??

gman119

MembersZone Subscriber

gman119,

Glad to hear you took the test. I heard the same that there were 150~or so test takers. Apparently some guys told me the 1000+ number due to a misunderstanding of what I meant by applicant. Anyhow...

Regardless of any problems you may have heard of they have some very good firemen and a number of their companies still see regular work.

They are for the most part a ecconomicly poor City...although the Race track is helping some. This has advantages and disadvantages...they are represented by a recognized union and by contract....something that is rare for Kansas. They though don't always have the best equipment or gear...that is just a reality of working in older bigger cities from the midwest to the East coast. They do have a large amount of older and still vacant housing stock...along with many major highways they have everything from heavy industry to ghetto to suburban cul-de-sacs.

They are just big enough to have a fair amount of promotional opportunities in a few different areas, as opposed to smaller 1-3 firehouse depts. They have something like 18-19 Engines, with 4or5 Trucks I think and a few quints..although I heard they weren't really pleased with the quints...but things change as always.

Most guys I know live in the western half...like Bonner.

First Chingon, Let me agree with you on a very important point. You are absolutely right...people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Lets just say JoCo FDs all have skelletons in their own closets. Including OPFD Inc. & Olathe. It seems the press for whatever reason likes to pick on KCMO and KCK...probably because they have larger populations and viewer(reader)ships. I am not sure why they told you that. Perhaps they just wanted you to realize KCK isn't Disney land...But I would assume you are smart enough to know that since KCK is a older urban city. It is disapointing to hear that some brothers in Olathe said that. However one house doesn't make the whole dept. I'd chalk most of it up as just pride and boasting..just as KCK, KCMO or anyone would do.

However to be fair if I remember correctly while Olathe is in a "whitebread" county as you put it...they are far from that as they are very similar to KCK in that there are two very different halfs...there is the nice East side and not so nice side West Side. They have more minorities than anyother JOCo city...Black, white trash Asian, Mexicans...etc. and with that comes the unfortunate problems with poorer communities.

They certainly aren't OP or Leawood. They by many neutral accounts (Dispatchers, Med-Act etc) are the only real true Fire Dept in that county.

I know many people who live in OP or some of the more affulent JOCO communities consider Olathe to be the KCK of JOCO as KCK is to Kansas as a whole(an armpit). While it isn't KCK it sure isn't a fantasy land.

If joining KCKFD for you gman119 means a few years of driving a bus so be it...it might be worth it in the long run for you. Just one more consideration for you.

Best of Luck either way.

FTM-PTB

PS- No money??? First look at the source..MAST medic. Not that he is wrong...but it is his current employer who has everything to loose. There will always be rummors that KCK doesn't have the money...they tell the brothers that every contract year!
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-22-2004 at 02:12 AM.

FFFRED

Thanks for the great info bro.

Not that I would be a shoe in for a job in KCK but to uproot the family to a new city to do a job I really don't have any desire to do (bus driver) with the opportunity to be on the floor as a FF a couple of years away just does not seem very appealing. I truly find the opportunity to fight fire in a real urban city very appealing, but the cost/reward doesn't seem to be worth it for me at this time. I'm still deciding whether or not to continue with the employment process (physical in about 2 weeks). Would it be worth it to keep pursuing this if my heart is not into being a ambulance driver?

I'll be keeping an eye on this post so if you have any more info on KCK please let me know.

Thanks for the info and encouragement.

gman119

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow

gman119,

I don't know your whole situation...but I would at least go through the physical so you have the option of taking the job later...always keep your options open. If you decide later it isn't for you at least you, not them, had the choice.

I would speak to as many guys as you can about what the plans are for the current list. Also talk to whomever can give you a straight answer.

I can understand your hesitation at being a ambulance jockey...I myself always made sure that any FD I applied for didn't run or wouldn't place me on an ambulance under any circumstances.

Many places unfortunately do this...the most important thing is to look how long you would have to be on a meat bus. If it is only 2-3 years at most...remember in a 20+ year career 2-3 is very small amount of time. And to have a union job in an urban FD is hard to come by for many.

If you are serious email me through my profile and if you would like I can arrange a visit to a good friends firehouse. He can tell you anything and everything.

FTM-PTB

Default contacting fffred

FFFRED

I may take you up on that visit to talk to your friend about KCKFD. I'll be in KC for my physical test next Friday (5th) and will probably stay in town if you can arrange something. I tried to email you through your profile but was unable to do so. I tried contacting the administrator to get in touch but have not heard from him either. Let me know of some way to contact you.

Thanks
    gman119

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow

gman,

I don't know why the email won't work....My friend works on Thurs 4th and Sunday7th. You can go to Pumper 10/Truck 10 on those days and ask for John. If he is detailed to another company for the day have them tell you how to get there. He knows you might be comming.

The house is right by KU Med center. For a good meal...go over to 39th and Bell Blvd.(1 block east of State Line Rd.) to DaBronx Deli for the best pizza or sandwich. They are on the south side of the road.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-28-2004 at 03:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the map:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Default stepping on toes

fffred,

didn't mean to step on your toes, man. i didn't mean to imply anything negative about olathe or its fire dept. i just wanted somebody from out of town to have a little perspective. i think we're on the same side there. i don't want to argue about what defines a "real" fire department (but i assure you it's not Med-Act). if you're on the job, you're on the job. i just think that gman would be foolish to not test at kck b/c of petty firehouse gossip. to me it doesn't matter if their from the 'burbs or from here in kcmo.

and gman,
    fffred is definately right. take the test no matter what. you can always say no if you don't like what you find. and chances are, if you're working on a suburban fire department now, you're already doing mostly ems, so if you have to do your time on the box, so what? i know guys who would love to have a union job with excellent benefits and good pay AND have a chance to slide over to fire truck in a couple years. as it is, half the medics i know (admittedly, it's a biased source) would kill to have that light at the end of the tunnel. and if the 10 house ride-out doesn't work (and let me say that's a great house from what i've heard - hell, it's practically kcmo)call the city and have them slip you in a 1's, 9's or 5's. their the busiest houses over there and you'll probably get to see them work a job.
    -chingon

MembersZone Subscriber

chingon,

No problem. I didn't take any offense. I just wanted to clairify a few things. I think we see things more or less the same. I filed for KCK test years ago myself. I just never ended up there. I'm sure if I had spent time there I wouldn't have regreted it. I think that despite the bad press both KCKFD and KCFD recieve they are both excellent FDs to be members of.

I am on the job just in a East Coast FD.

As for the Med-Act comment all I meant was since they get to see all JOCO FDs work and all they do most times is stand and watch; many of their members who have been around the county see a disinct difference in how one Dept operates over another. They get to see who burns them down and who saves them. Thats all.

Stay safe bro,

FTM-PTB

Default kck hiring

I am new to this site, I was actually just taking a look when I saw this thread and it cought my eye. I too am testing for kck. I took the written on Feb 12 and now I am getting ready for the physical on March 5. I just had some thoughts on this whole thing. I understand that there is only 160 people who showed for the written and probably less will show for the physical. KCK has 63 spots or something like that, that is better than 1 in 3 chances, plus some of those that were testing don't have much of a chance for the physical from what I saw.
    About riding the bus for two years, so what. Everybody has to do there time. I too want to be in the fire but I currently work for a private ambulance company and enjoy it. Who knows maybe if you guys give it a try you might too and before you know it your time will be up and you'll be on a rig.
    ffemttk

Thread Information