Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Sta22BeaverCoPA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Reduce the number of departments

Is it time for the fire departments in PA to begin consolidation and reduce the number of fire departments ? The state would like to see this by taking the smaller departments and joining them with a neighboring department. Good Idea, maybe, as long as the state gives some type of benefit by establishing a fire district incentive. You form a district with 2, 3, 4, other departments and the state would monetarily help out that district. This district would them eliminate duplication of equipment where its not needed and the availability of funds for more equipment. What do you think ?

Forum Member

Default Re: Reduce the number of departments

Originally posted by Sta22BeaverCoPA
    Is it time for the fire departments in PA to begin consolidation and reduce the number of fire departments ? The state would like to see this by taking the smaller departments and joining them with a neighboring department. Good Idea, maybe, as long as the state gives some type of benefit by establishing a fire district incentive. You form a district with 2, 3, 4, other departments and the state would monetarily help out that district. This district would them eliminate duplication of equipment where its not needed and the availability of funds for more equipment. What do you think ?
    BUT BUT WHO will be the fire chief?
    What color will the trucks be?
    I Want my scott not their MSA!
    (more petty ranting)

A lot of old fire chiefs got to DIE around my parts before that will even be close to happening here

MembersZone Subscriber

I think this is a common way of thinking in todays fire service. You're right. There are way too many stations around, and tons of uselss apparatus sitting around. Companies should start consolidating, and eventually combine even more into regional. Think about it. Some counties in PA have more stations than the state of delaware!

Spring Twp, Berks County just combined 4 independent fire companies into 1 municipal fire department. Of course there are bumps in the road, but it can be done!

Default Yup....

Originally posted by TSVFD85
    Spring Twp, Berks County just combined 4 independent fire companies into 1 municipal fire department. Of course there are bumps in the road, but it can be done!
    AMEN!! I think the time will come for consolidation, but it will happen in starts and fits. My guess is that the first to go will be those small municipalites (boroughs mainly) that have multiple departments. The larger townships will take longer and depending on size and location, might not combine stations & apparatus, but just create a central command structure.
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Post Agree

Like it or not, the time for consolidation is coming in PA.

Remember some years back when Act 45 went into affect and resulted in the consolidation or closing of many volunteer ambulance services? I have the feeling that something similar may be in the future for Pennsylvania's fire service.

I know of several areas where there are 3 or 4 fire stations (different departments) in a 2 mile square area.

I also agree that the process would be very bumpy and would require the passing of a lot of time.

Stay Healthy and Stay Safe,

Phil

Forum Member

In my township there is: 90, 91, 92 we are all warminster FD but somehow while 'hartsville' is still warminster it also isn't so they have there own station 93 and ivyland which is just like that has a station. I'm not saying anything for or against it but it seems odd sometimes.

overall, in bucks we have three sheets long of stations but to even cut that to two would take an act of God himself.
    Bucks County, PA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not a bad idea, but there is only one problem with it. Pa fire co. were started because people couldn't get along, so they left and started their own co. This was just proven in Adams county they tried to bring 4 co. together,all the active firemen thaught it was a great idea but then when the social members thaught that they were going to lose their socail halls they voted the idea down by 1 vote.

100% in favor of consolidation. With 2 caviates.
    1)All members of consolidated departments are on equal status. The membership should decide the chiefs, and line officers (with a further stipulation at only members with a minimum set of qualifications apply)

2) KEEP THE POLITICIANS AS FAR AWAY FROM THE PROCESS AS POSSIBLE!!!

Thread Information