View Poll Results: Does your Department conduct training burns, and are they 1403 compliant?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

0 0%
  • Yes, but not compliant.

0 0%
  • Yes, nearly compliant.

2 50.00%
  • Yes, always fully compliant.

2 50.00%

Default Calling all instructors that use acquired structures...

I'm looking for instructors out there who conduct acquired structure burns for training. I am in the process of requesting a sub-committee be formed under NFPA 1403 or 1041 to include a certification and standard for instructors who conduct such training. Anyone out there willing to help or give input, please mail me at tony@firellc.com. Thanks a bunch, stay safe and train as if your life depends on it, because it does.

Fraternally,

Tony Piontek
    Green Bay Fire Department

How about some input everyone, don't be shy...

Please go to the safety and survival heading, same title, more posts.

Fraternally,

Tony

Forum Member

Just so happens Tony that North Carolina is aheaad of the game on you. Here, all instructors that are QUALIFIED live burn instructors must first be General Instructor Level II for a minimum of 2 years then have at least 5 documented training burns they have assisted with under another qualified instructor. Then, we have to take a 24 hour qualification course that consists of a pre-test on 1403 and 1142 (Live burn and water supply), then sit through classroom lectures on all the legal paperwork stuff we have to do, then take a post test. Afterward, each instructor must light two burns and lead crews for the attack on them. We also have to teach a minimum of 100 hours in a five year period to maintain our certification.

As you can see, some places are already there. If you will go to the North Carolina Office of State Fire Marshal web page, you can download the entire brochure for qualification.

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/TrainingAn...veFireBurn.PDF

If you need any more information, contact the office at (800) 634-7854.

Good Luck!
    Tell me, I will forget. Show me, I will remember. Involve me, I will understand.

benford,

Thanks for the info, looked at it briefly, would be a good add to our project, gives some backbone to the argument if someone is already doing it. Can you get me in contact with instructors who function under the system so I can ask them questions?

Fraternally,

Tony

MembersZone Subscriber

Well Pa is in the game for years all structure classes weather burn building or aquired structure must meet NFPA standards for live fire burns with minimums on instructors and students .... yes we still use aquired structures but you must obtain a burn permit from DEP and the only way to recieve this permit is to hold a Fire Academy class and department not obtaining the permit is subject to fines and imprisionments .... we have one department who is going through this now for not having the permit. must have 5 state instructors and 25 students no exceptions to hold a structures class. FF safety is #1

Thread Information