MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Need Help with a project ASAP

Ok I was wondering what companies and stores donate to volunteer squads & fire departments. I was recently given the job of finding stores and companies to donate certain things such as furniture and possibly a new TV. But yet I dont know how to go about this... I know I need the tax exempt form to give the store but does anyone know of any stores that might be willing to donate and how I might go about contacting them? Any help is appreciated....thanks again
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

In my experience over here in the sticks, if for a good cause, almost any store will donate money, or merchandise. Wal-Mart usually does good for us. And also our local auto supply, even though they don't have t.v.'s they may donate money to put towards the purchase of one. I suggest going to a business where your department spends alot of money, and then go to their direct competition down the street and say " so and so down there donated this, what can you do for me ?"Works well for me. Good Luck with your solicitations.

Forum Member

Dawg took my thought with Wal-Mart, but you can ask around of stores that are particularly eager to donate money & goods for a cause such as ours. Maybe there was a good save in your town recently where the owner's (commercial or residential) might be willing to pitch in for your furniture fund. Thrift stores will often have great things for firehouse purposes. Best of luck
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Walmart does some $500-$1000 grants for fire and police departments.

We got a grant from them for Digital Cameras and Printer docks. They often knock of 15% on things we buy from them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Home Depot also has a similar program.

NOTE: Make sure you document your donations, especially large ticket items, and do everything in writing. HD donated stuff to a PD here and the PD ended up in a wringer when a citizen complained about the PD "extorting" items from local businesses. They had nothing in writing to back it up.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Get Help!................

Having "been there, done that" I would suggest contacting other organizations in your area and enlisting their help also. I found that it's easier (sometimes) to get a local "Community Service" organization to donate something (or the money to buy something) than to go to the store directly. Jaycees, Lions, Rotary, are just a few of the type that I'm referring to. Give it a shot, "You won't know if you don't ask". let us know what worked for you. Good Luck.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

other than walmart i dont really know of many "big" stores that donate, but we have a medical supply store in town, and the guy that owns it is awesome to our fd. we just organized first responders and he donated all the equipment we needed (except the AED that came through a state grant). When we totalled it up it came up to almost 2 grand i think. We have a Christmas letter fund drive and they usually give like 100+ dollars to it. The cool thing is he use to be located on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago so he isnt really use to small-cash strapped fire depts. He is a real good to the FD and the school and stuff. Needless to say he got a free dinner at a local Steak house and i think he got free dinner at our summer draw down.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Meijers (sp), and your local clubs ie. Lion's Clubs. Our local hardware stores also donate. When something is donated we make sure to write a thank you note to the local newspaper. Our local paper is great making sure the letters are published.

You would have to solicit all Business and Churchs in you community They will definately send you things, you have to tell them what you want. Get right to the point.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

firefighter3531
    Firehouse.com Guest

we have always had luck with cvs. they seem to give us around 200 bucks a month of ems stuff. home dept does good as othe folks have said they always seem to give us at their cost.i have found your best place is the smaller stores that are directly serviced by your fire dept.

Thread Information