Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Alcohol use and discipline

I would like to get some feedback on a recent event that is controversial within my organization.

The department (private department with paid and volunteer staff) adopted a policy that says you can't drink alcoholic beverages within 8 hours prior to going to a run or participating in a training.

Is this unreasonable?

The chief was recently confronted about violating the policy after being confronted with allegations of smelling like he had been drinking. He admitted the fact that he had been drinking and the resigned.

Is it unreasonable to expect the fire chief not to drink before coming to a training or an emergency response?

Some of the members think we don't need any SOP's or rules because we are a small organization. It seems that any fire department needs SOPs, rules, and discipline to operate safely and effectively.

Forum Member

That policy sounds reasonable and appropriate. Those wishing for a world without rules are living a fantasy. If your Chief doesn't even use sound enough judgement to not go on calls with alcohol in his/her system then what do you think the junior officers or firefighters will do?

8 hours is reasonable. Those who do not think so may need to re-evaluate their priorities. Safety vs Inebriation.

Your customers expect a clean, strong, well-trained firefighter or EMT to show up at their door with all their equipment and mental faculties intact. I guess what they want is not as important as a beer.

Benson911

Eight hours between the bottle and the nozzle!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I guess the chief doesn't really believe in Leading by Example, huh?

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

SOP's are important no matter how big or small your organization and everyone, make that EVERYONE, should abide by them except under the most exigent circumstances.

And 8 hrs is not unreasonable.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

Do we really need to dredge this up again?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

ohioff1, what Duffman is referring to is that the subject of alcohol in fire stations has received lots of airtime in the forums and is a pretty well-beaten dead horse. You can find all you want to know (and then some) by doing a search.

Since this was your first post, I think that those of us who are really tired of the whole thing can cut you a little slack.

You concerns about SOP's are valid. Just because you are a small outfit doesn't mean that they are any less important. Granted, SOP's dont have to nail down every facet of every response to the smallest detail, but they should at least provide a guide for action - even when the situation at hand isn't straight out of the textbook.

If you don't have any SOP's, how do you hold someone accountable if they really screw up?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Do a search using the term "alcohol" for this forums and see what you come up with. Believe me...you do not want to get us going again on this issue.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Default Insane

Call me crazy but ..... do we really need to ask such a question in this day and age....lets move on

fellas, (and ladies if there are any present) I will admit I hate the threads that are repetitive but did you all see something ? The Chief resigned ! It sounds like this department is ripe for a turn around..........they have obviously decided that EOTH and the job didnt mix..........I hope they get some good people in place to write or get those SOGS and carry on. Best of luck !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber CrossBro1's Avatar

Well this isn't a difficult one at all. No alcohol before getting on the truck.

I remember the first time I encountered a situation involving alcohol. We were sent mutual aid to a not so neighboring town for a rather large brush fire. We worked several hours before being relieved for rehab. When we got to the rehab area, the chief of the "host" department said there's Gatorade and Beer over on the truck, help yourself. I nearly had a heart attack when I heard that.

I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thread Information