MembersZone Subscriber

Default Maximum age/limit?

Don't know if this has been addressed before:
    Is there a maximum age limit that most FD's observe when considering applicants?
    Completed Vol., FF1, and currently going throgh FF2.
    After doing this for a bit(almost a year), giving some thought to full-time if it isn't too late.
    Last edited by dadman; 02-02-2004 at 04:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Only place I've seen any kind of age cap is on several east coast departments.

Make sure to read the job announcements though. They will specifically say under the requirements if there is a maximum age limit in order to apply.

Good Luck.
    bam

Forum Member

Default It's now Federal law...

You can thank the Federal government---several years ago, when they re-signed into law the mandatory retirement at 63 for police officers and firefighters, they also enacted the right for the municipalities to enact maximum hiring ages(generally 35) for these positions. Just about every municipality that tests now has 34 at testing and 35 at TIME OF APPOINTMENT as the maximum. And if I remember right, you can't be older than 29 & 1/2 to take the FDNY test.

Oh, and the best part? You can't sue for age discrimination. They wrote THAT little tidbit in there too.

So if you're over 35 and looking to get into the fire service, your options are very limited from a career department standpoint.

Forum Member

Default HMMMMMMMMMMM

Is Age a Factor in Hiring?

That might be true in some areas but it's been our experience that itís not uncommon to see candidates in their late thirties or early forties hired, especially paramedics. The oldest was a non medic candidate was 42. Oldest medic was 46. You never mention your age in an oral board. They are not supposed to know your age until your hired.

I encourage candidates to focus on their personal life experience when answering questions in the oral board. No one else can tell your stories of where your have been. Candidates over 30 years old have life experiences younger candidate canít match.

When candidates answer questions laced with a story that demonstrates they have lived the experience, they separate themselves from the other younger clone candidates.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Point taken...

Your point is well taken, sir. It may be possible that, where a limited candidate pool exists, these limitations may not be feasible. I know for instance in Chicago, there will be a hiring maximum for FF, but not for single role paramedics. And I would think that "life experiences" as you mention would be of little use or interest to a department. It's been my experience that they want someone that they can start from scratch with, and train to do it THEIR way...experience(s) and training notwithstanding.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll have to do some more personel checking into of state and fed. laws concerning FF age limits.
    Noticed at the Cincinnati FD site that they have a starting age limit of 36(I think). looking into smaller dept's.
    Got into this to be a VFF. Looks like that's how it'll be.

MembersZone Subscriber

In the Chicago area, most communities follow the state statute, which says the age limit is under 35 unless you are already a member of a "regularly constituted fire department".

But home rule communities don't have to follow the state statute. So some of them ignore the "unless" part, and others don't have a maximum age at all. It's a crap shoot, really.

For a real life example, I am 35 (36 in April). I am currently in the final phase of the hiring process for a suburban Chicago department (yay me!). This suburb follows the state law to the letter... and the rules when I applied said under 35 by hire, except where exempt by state statute. Since I am part time at another department, that gets me under the age limit. Yay me again.

So to dodge the age limit (at least in Illinois), join a part time or paid on call department, and apply to communites that follow the state statute to the letter.

Anne

Unhappy Age Limit

Most fire departments have an age limit of 35, unless you have been a full-time firefighter previously.

Thread Information