Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Helmets

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Leather Helmets

Hey all leather heads how do you put a fold in the back of a leather helmet??

My only quesiton for you is this....WHY? Why do you want to crease the back of the helmet with a fold?????

I know that some think it looks cool, but if it was supposed to be there, it would have been made that way.

The length of the brim in the back of the helmet is supposed to be designed to keep water and debri from falling down your collar. (or so I thought) So bending it would alter the protective characteristics of the helmet.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

It came with the fold in the back I just wanted to know how they do it! I have heard that they put them in a oven or something like that!! The new phenix helmets come with a fold!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Mine bent down and took on a diff shape after a couple hot fires. The leather softens and bends itself

Dont the phenix have a fyberglass inner-shell????

I am sure someone will chime in about the "Bronx Bend"........it came like that ? Was it used?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

The Phenix helmet does NOT have a fiberglass inner shell. It is leather just like the Cairns. It is softer though... almost more pliable.

The bend you get is from use in hot fires... not ovens...
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

This is the one I was talking about...

http://www.phenixfirehelmets.com/mai.../1500-TL2.html
    Ain't Skeerd
    Half Leather Forever....

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Just to correct myself... the Phenix Leather does have a composite impact liner. It does not however have a fiberglass type inner layer like the Paul Conway.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

My step-dad back in the 70's and 80's told me he put his in the oven to heat it up a bit and then he bent the back of the helmet down and then stick in the freezer immediatly.He told me that you have to make sure that it is an all lather helmet and not a just a leather wrap, or else you know what'll happen. I hope this helps

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys! And yes the new phenix is all leather like the sam houston but better fit and lighter!! Its a nice helmet and has "the bronx fold" in it from the factory!!

Why bend it? Leave the thing alone and let it do the job that it was intended to do. I hated hot water. embers and ashes to go down my coat collar and down my back. I had plenty, being a truck man. This doesn't make you mod and macho. It hurts and burns like hell.

The next thing guys will wants to do is to get bump helmets OK'ed for firefighter, since it has a small brim and no back part. Plus it is very light too.

Use the gear like it was made to the latest safety standards. Don't modify it. It may safe you life one day.

Stay Safe & Well...........

MembersZone Subscriber TruckSkipper's Avatar

I'm not really concerned with bending leather helmets but while we're on the subject, does anyone know where you can get them repaired. I've had mine for about 13 years and the leather on the brim has become very brittle and charred. I have dropped it a few times and pieces of the brim have fallen off and the wire frame is just hanging out there. It should probably be replaced but it was a gift and I can't part with it.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

MembersZone Subscriber

First off, the fold in that Phenix helmet is not a "bronx bend" it's the natural curvature of the helmet itself.
    Secondly, don't bend it, it looks dumb and defeats the purpose.
    Thirdly, the Phenix helmet in my opinion is a piece of crap. Never wore one in a fire, but I'd be afraid to if I had to. They are very cheaply made, trust me, you get what you pay for. The back brim is extremely flimsy as compared to the Cairns, the leather doesn't look nearly as nice which leads me to believe it is over poorer quality. Overall the helmet just looks cheap.

TruckSkipper
    MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not really concerned with bending leather helmets but while we're on the subject, does anyone know where you can get them repaired. I've had mine for about 13 years and the leather on the brim has become very brittle and charred. I have dropped it a few times and pieces of the brim have fallen off and the wire frame is just hanging out there. It should probably be replaced but it was a gift and I can't part with it.

If it is a Cairns then sending back to them and they will do a good repai and overhaul job on it. My old NYC style leather lid still looks good after 30 years of wearing it.

I was in Clifton about 15 years ago and took it with me and left it and they re worked it and sent it back to me.

MembersZone Subscriber TruckSkipper's Avatar

Thanks, I live about 45 minutes from Clifton. Next time I'm up that way I'll take it with me and see what they say.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Thumbs up

It can't hurt. Since MSA took them over I am not sure if they will have the same old service they once had.

When I was there I aked an old guys who worked there if there was any old parts around. he asked what I was looking for. I have an old senator (alum) lid that was missing the ridges pieces on top and the front holder. He said that he would look and in the mail about two weeks later he had sent me what I was looking for.

Good Service.

Good luck.

Stay safe and well...

Captoldtimer says:
    Use the gear like it was made to the latest safety standards. Don't modify it. It may safe you life one day.
    Absolutely!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

Speaking of leather helmets.....

Has anyone had a problem with the paint peeling on the N5As?

I had mine a week....1 room/contents fire and a day at the burn tower, and all the paint started forming 'bubbles' and peeling off.

Ive tried refinishing it, but it looks like crap. When the new paint job dries it has a greyish/black looking finish...also the reflective trim fell off....Is this a fluke or just what leathers do?

Ive always wanted one..I finally got it (unused out of the box) and this is what it did..

Any thoughts/suggestions?

fieldsengine2

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Thats wat leather helmets do.. After using my n6a for about 2 years.. alot of my paint was charred or peeled off. It was yellow and i repainted it black using high heat paint. Unless you use the paint from the company you wont get that same look... but helemts werent made to look pretty....

Thread Information