Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Electrifying Aerial Experience

A neighboring career department had an aerial mishap about 3 weeks ago that I wanted to share as a reminder to everyone about what happens when the Aerial Operator doesn't pay attention during aerial ops. The basic story:

Apparatus: Approx. 2000 Pierce Dash 2000 105' RM Quint
    Place: Fire Station front apron
    Time: Weekday mid-afternoon
    Weather: Dry and clear

The department, as many do, had an OUTSIDE company from Arkansas conducting ground ladder & aerial ladder testing at their Station 1. The departments only Truck Co. was over for their ladder testing. The Tester from the company basically and simply raised and rotated the aerial into 20,000V power lines. The contact was broken when the aerial "burned" away from the power lines. The crew was not on or near the rig and all parties, including the tester on the turntable, were un-injured. Initial repair costs as of now is $390,000.00 without it even being in Appleton. This price as of right now is from the local dealer with factory pricing and does NOT take into consideration the amount of damage to the electrical system. Jeremy please clarify or correct as necessary. Just some thoughts.

BOTTOM LINE, WATCH WERE YOU PUT YOUR AERIAL.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 02-03-2004 at 02:32 AM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Larry, I sent you about 11 pictures of the incident above. I do have a correction. The truck didn't burn away from the power lines. Other than that it took 3 shots of 20,000 volts until it tripped a breaker somewhere in the power grid. The truck however still was able to fully retracted and cradle under its own power. We are currently still waiting for the insurance adjuster from the testing company to come out and look at the truck and make a determination of what THEY are going to do.

I will keep you advised.
    "Dont forget to wear your Reed"
    "When you buy junk, you now own junk"

J.Brown

OUCH!! You'd think they would know better! Then again, reminds me of this one FD I know that took their Mini-Pumper to the car dealership for Ford Warranty work and the dealership left it outside overnight in 10 degree weather and froze the pump up!!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you don't run into any problems with the Insurance Company. Keep us all posted on the status.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds to me like they would have a easier time with the insurance company than the Department from Ohio.

I'll bet that was a big ding fries are done. Oh the power went out no ding this time

Hope things work out for Sugarland and glad nobody got hurt.
    Les Hartford
    Assistant Chief
    LMR Fire Dept.

The views posted here are strickly my own and not of any of the groups I am affiliated with.

IACOJ Member

I'll bet that was a big ding fries are done. Oh the power went out no ding this time
    ROTFLMAO!! That is hilarious. nice one, Chief

SLFDEng1:

Can you send me the pics as well? firescooby@alltel.net

OT: How is the F-550 rescue truck from Taylor Made working out? We were there doing a final inspection on one of our trucks when two of your guys were there trying to take it home. They were having problems with the Aurogen (sp?) and when we left they were still there.

Forum Member

Scooby, I will send them as soon as I can. As for the Taylor Made
    F-550, now thats a story. It was to ease the EMS runs on a several stations. It was stationed at our station 4 which is in the middle of the city along with Ladder 4 (which is now O.O.S.!). Ladder 4 is a 105' Quint. Squad 4 ran all the medical calls in Station 4's first due and it took some of Station 1, 3, and 5's area for medical runs. It also ran the calls outside the city. That put alot of miles on it. As for Aurogen, it was having problems until it was put out to Station 5 to service as a HazMat vehicle.

Now for a small update. Tonight the city council approved to lease a HP100 from E-One for one year for approx. $70,000.00. It will be here tomorrow. They also approved to replace E5.

I will keep ya'll (Texan slang) informed!

J.Brown

Forum Member

A department in the Seattle area did the same thing a couple years ago. A probie training on their tiller rotated the stick right into some high voltage lines, knocking out power for a large area. Luckily everybody jumped off the truck right before it happened, so nobody was hurt. This was the department's only aerial, and it was out of service for quite some time.

I wouldn't mind seeing the pics of the texas incident posted here...

Forum Member

Small update.

The E-One was delivered yesterday and was put into service as L4. The Pierce is being sent to the factory to get looked at for an estimate for repairs.

J.Brown

MembersZone Subscriber

Jeremy,

Good luck with the new rig. I saw it the morning before it was delivered to SLFD. It looks functional and should do the trick. The side stacker body kinda irks me as it eats up compartment space, but if it lays a line the ability to load hose without raising the aerial will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to seeing it in a week or so with the SLFD labeling on it. And the CD player was a nice touch by the dealer. LOL.

P.S.: Tell your Battalion Chief to get some sleep. The MCFRS box and the Stafford Box probably cut into his beauty sleep. LOL. And remind him to remember his green IC strobe light please. LOL.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 02-10-2004 at 11:51 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Larry, I will agree with the side stacker is a pain in the *****. It has a divider in it so we where able to load 600' of 2.5 with 800 of 5 inch. I gave the E-One rep an idea of maybe they can design some sort of pull out step above the wheel wells where FF's can step up to load hose. The patch and stripping should go on tommorrow.

Later.

J.Brown

Thread Information