MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Florida Fire union chief suspended

Fire union chief suspended in incident at BayWalk
    By Times Staff Writer
    Published February 3, 2004
    -------------------------------------------------------

LARGO - Timothy Baker, president of the local firefighters union, was suspended for 80 hours without pay after an Oct. 18 incident at BayWalk in St. Petersburg.

Baker, 32, was with a group of friends when one of them got into a verbal confrontation with a security guard, according to police reports. Baker allegedly elbowed the security guard and was pepper-sprayed by a police officer. He was charged with simple battery, a misdemeanor. Two of his friends were charged with disorderly intoxication. The case is pending.

Fire Chief E. Caroll Williams found that Baker violated the city's code of conduct by failing to immediately notify his supervisor of his arrest and not conducting himself in a manner that reflects credit upon the department. Baker served his suspension in December. Baker filed a grievance appealing the discipline. That grievance was denied Jan. 13.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Default No offense

But is this really important news?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe to some... maybe not to others...
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

With all of the trouble that the Largo Fire Department has been going through in the last 6 months or so, I think it is pretty important. I live in the area, and lately on a weekly basis that department has been in the paper with one issue or another.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post I'm with Mikey..............

News is news, but this seems to be OLD news....... No offense to Grant, who provides us with a lot of good information from the Southeast, but I'm wondering about the Newspaper. Here where I am, the denial of the greivance on 1-13 would have been reported by 1-15, IF IT WAS REPORTED AT ALL, which would be highly unlikely. Is there anyone among the forums participants who is located in that area that could provide a little "local insight" to this?? Thanks, Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I think I should clarify my opinion a bit. The VAST majority of news items posted by Grant and many others are very timely and informative. Discussion and disagreements are hallmarks of firefighters everywhere. Where my objection lies, is when a minor local issue is posted and it then becomes an International one. I am sure the Brother from Florida regrets what happend, but I am also pretty sure he is embarassed by having his story out here. I guess waht I am trying to say is that we worry about what the public thinks about us, but then post stories that while not flattering are also really non events. Just one mans opinion and I didnt mean to single anyone out.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information