Default 2005 Fire Act - Cut in Proposed Budget

Lowered by 1/3 from 750 million to 500 million. Time to start calling your Congressman.

MembersZone Subscriber

That sucks.

I hope the all of the various organizations are all over this right now, better sooner then later.

What the hell is up with this trend lately?

Fire department cuts on the local level, and now on the federal level with the Fire Act and and USFS fire budget woes.

The Fire Act is working so well, for Petes sake, dont mess with it, if anything, make it a billion.

I wonder... Maybe they have spent to much on the war efforts. Right after 911 the emergency services were given a huge amount of support, but now it seems that is starting to waver.

IMO our domestic preparidness is much improved, but it is not the time to slack off, not by a long shot. Hell, there was just more white powder scares again.

I do realise that the military is playing catch up on with their needs thanks to slick Willy. There was a huge cut in military spending during Clintons admin, now the military is haveing to play catch up, even with the basics such as assault rifles and such.

In anycase, this is a poor time to make fire service cuts.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

Actually, the proposed 2004 budget had it at 500million also. It was raised back to 750 while being approved. The same will happen in 2005.

That way, all the 2 and 3 time winners can get more and the non-winners can still get nothing. Yup, it's a great program.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, in anycase, I can only speak from personal experience with the Fire Act Program. IMO it is great.

We are a needy VFD, we got much needed help.

Bones, if you have needs that have not been met, sorry to hear that.

But, I am still going to apply next time around, I have already started my reaearch and narrative. Its my job.

And in any case, the VFDs I work with (3 seperate ones) all have many areas of concern that warrant another application (or 2, or 3) to the Fire Act program. PPE is still not up to par, there are critical pieces of equipment unavailable, and local funding will never be able to cover the expenses.

I must pursue any and all means I can to insure the safety and effectiveness of the fire sevice in my area. I couldnt sleep at night if I didnt.

Good luck this go around.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

But you know what really sucks about it Samson? Departments getting money for exercise equipment when there are still departments that don't have adequate PPE.

Justify that.

Is not the purpose of the grant program to provide basic needs? Exercise equipment or PPE? Which is a basic need?

PS - I know it's not your fault. It just don't make sense.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, the proposed 2004 budget had it at 500million also. It was raised back to 750 while being approved. The same will happen in 2005.
    Don't be so sure.

Of course some people don't think it should be funded at all.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Fire Depts Burned by '05 Budget Grant Cuts
    February 4, 2004
    Washington -- In August, Rep. Tim Bishop (D-Southampton) proudly presented a check for $204,000 to the Patchogue Fire Department, the result of a successful grant application to the federal government from one of many New York City and Long Island departments -- all involved in the Sept. 11 rescue efforts.
    But President George W. Bush's fiscal 2005 budget calls for a reduction in those type of grants, putting hundreds of local fire departments across the country into even stiffer competition for funds needed to update equipment and train first responders.
    Congress appropriated $750 million for the firefighter grants in fiscal 2004; the Bush budget calls for $500 million. That cut comes despite rhetoric in the budget document that it "supports critical preparedness, response and recovery efforts at all levels of government."
    Chad Colton, a spokesman for the administration's Office of Management and Budget, said the reduction in funds is "a little bit of a shift in priorities, not away from fire departments, but in the way funds are directed to areas based on threats." He said the budget contains more money for areas likely to be the targets of terrorism. But he acknowledged that the extra money is not "firefighter specific, but terrorism preparedness specific."
    For every fire department that got grant money last year, five or six had applied, according to members of Congress who often helped the departments prepare their applications. Those departments were hoping the program would continue at current funding levels so they, too, could update their equipment and training.
    "It just makes long odds even longer," said Bishop, who has scheduled another grant application training class in March for local fire departments. "Within the context of the homeland security budget getting a nine percent increase, to cut first responders seems so unwise."
    Larry Fink, first assistant chief of the Brookhaven Fire Department, one of those unsuccessful in getting money last year, said his department was prepared to try again to get funds for "rapid intervention teams," which assist injured firefighters at the scene and require specialized equipment.
    Brookhaven sent men and materials to the World Trade Center site on Sept. 11, 2001, several going on their own time to search for Lincoln Quappé, a former colleague who had left the department but who was still fighting fires."We are the first responders and we are the first line of defense," Fink said. "What that tells me is that we're expendable."
    Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-Mineola), who also helped fire departments in her district prepare successful grant applications, noted that Congress had increased funds from the Bush request last year, and suggested it might do so again. "It's up to the president whether he vetos it," she said.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40