Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Tower Ladder which do you perfer?

My department is currently in the process of purchasing a 95' Mid- mount Tower Ladder. The company is dead set on going with a Sutphen. The Chief's office has done extensive research in to this project and has decided to recommend a Pierce 95' Mid-mount to the board of fire commissioners.

The Department currently has (2) 1989 Pierce Lance 1250 GPM Pumpers that has served us faithfully for the past 14yrs., with very few problems. The only major problem to date, was that we had to rebuild the pump on one of the engines, and believe me this truck has seen some heavy fire duty in my district throughout the years.

We use Firematic Supply to service our apparatus. Firematic Supply is also the long Island, New York distributor for Pierce. They have an excellent reputation for sales and service. They are also a one stop shopping vendor, that carries all necessary equipment to outfit any apparatus.

There is an on going joke on Long Island (NY) about Firematic Supply!
    It is said that they have sold so many Pierce fire apparatus on Long Island that the water table has risen!

Let me know what you think!

www.firematic.com

www.sutphen.com
    Last edited by Engine731RFD; 02-03-2004 at 01:32 PM.

We just awarded Sutphen a PO worth about 2.5-2.8 million for three 90+ midmount quint platforms.

We had Sutphen, Pierce, E-one and Ferrara bid and show their trucks. Pierce truck was NICE from what the evaluators said. The major downfall was it was VERY heavy. About 20k lb more that the Sutphen.

Our sutphen's we have now have served us better than ANY trucks we have had. We currently have 3 platforms (86, 92 and 94 all with over 100k miles) and two 2002 75 midmount stick quints.

Good luck on the new truck, whatever it may be.

I just went through research for my dept on a mid-mount Platform.
    Sutphan and Pierce are good trucks but we decided on going with the
    E-one Mid-Mount for a number of reasons.

The E-one only has 2 extending stabilizers with a jack spread of only 15'6, while the pierce, sutphan, KME, and ALF all have 4 extending stabilizers with a much greater jack spread.

The E-one has this self-leveling capability, which makes setting up the truck faster.

Those were two of many reasons, which made us, go with e-one.
    I highly suggest you look into E-one also, we will be receiving ours in a few months.
    If you have any questions please let me know.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FIRECOMMAND
    The E-one only has 2 extending stabilizers with a jack spread of only 15'6, while the pierce, sutphan, KME, and ALF all have 4 extending stabilizers with a much greater jack spread.
    Sutphens have only two outriggers. Their jack spread is 18 feet. More than an E-One...but still, only 2 outriggers.

Smeal!!! All the way.

Most advanced aerial device on the market and operates smoother than all the others.

Try one and you will see what I mean.

I am sure I will get blasted for making this comment on here from Station2.

I like this one....
    Last edited by Bones42; 03-15-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

isnt that the one from out west ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Kind of like Beetlejuice, if you mention her name three times, she appears!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey engine,

You in Ridge or Riverhead FD? Of did I miss another R department?
    I am also on Long Island.
    B Holmes

MembersZone Subscriber

The picture of the wooden ladder on the back of the truck, isn't that the Smeal that ff43065 was talking about?

As for most afvanced, I don't know if Smeal can claim that title. All of the BIG aerial makers have come along way in safety features and little nice things that make the job easier. As for smoothness, it all comes down to training. I could put a guy on the "Smooth" Smeal and have it jerk around more than someone well trained and experienced on a 1975 WLF/Maxim in 30MPH winds. LOL.

I still prefer the E-One aerial line-up. I ride on an E-One CR100 at my fulltime job and a 95' LT at my volunteer department. Simple set-up, superior design and material, widest aerial made and an outrigger system you simply can not beat. Oh, and they have never had a failure. Just some thoughts.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Originally posted by Bones42
    I like this one....
    GREAT PHOTO BONES !!!!!!!!
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

The picture of the wooden ladder on the back of the truck, isn't that the Smeal that ff43065 was talking about?
    Larry, where the heck are you getting your information? I'm surprised you would say that about high-quality Smeal aerials - that was a WOODEN ladder in the back of the truck, not a CORNSTALK ladder.

Bones - That's a very tempting purchase, but I think we'll have to wait until we get a new station - I'm not sure the 10' height limit would quite cut it for that one.
    Last edited by HFDCLanger; 02-07-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Forum Member

I'd go with an E-One platform.We run a 1992 E-One 95' Platform as well as a 1985 E-One 110' Ladder,both very well built apparatus. As an EVT I've crawled all over these things.Under all the shiny aluminum and paint is where it all happens.The Sutphen is lighter because there's nothing to the chassis.I believe E-One is the only manufacturer that builds their own aerial specific chassis.Access to the ladder turntable on a Sutphen isn't the greatest either.This is just my opinion though.Whatever works for you and your dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's wrong with an Aerialscope? Two jacks, tough as nails. You never hear of a Sutphen continuing service atop of a new chassis.
    Many an Aerialscope gets put on a new chassis and is good as new.
    Your area is flooded with them so I'm sure that service isn't a problem.

I would have to say I would go with the Pierce, but I would like to ask you some questions. Is there a reason why your chiefs are not going with the company recommendation? Did they do their research? It is not hard for truck committees to see different truck manufactures on Long Island. I think you have Smeal, Pierce, and Stutphen trucks around you. Did the chiefs and company work together or as separate entities? I only ask this because it can cause hard feeling between the chiefís office and the company. When my department spec'ed a tower we worked for 2 years only to have the Board say your getting a Pierce. It would have been allot less work and hard feelings if they said it from the beginning. Good luck.

Stay Safe

What's wrong with an Aerialscope?
    It's a bitch to climb up and down that ladder.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Aerialscope

This is the only tower ladder you'll ever want.

I used to occasionaly work on a 95' rearmount E-One Tower. I would never go back after being on the scopes. The controls are out of the way to the rear and the buckets are excellent for getting in and out of. The E-ones were not user friendly to realistic fireground operations.

I would go with the scopes. Although I know Pierce has a better reputation than E-0ne...but that also has alot to do with how much of the BS Bells & whistles you spec.

FTM-PTB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Second to None. Aerialscope
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Victoria - I'm not sure what Sutphen you were looking at, if any. Our custom built aerial chassis - (design only for aerial use ) has a full length frame liner, 1/4" steel sub assembly and 12 gauge stainless steel body with more compartment space than E-one offers. I Believe E-0ne uses an aluminum sub frame and a 1/8" aluminum body.

The weight difference is in the aerial. Since E-one welds their aerial, they have to double the thickness of the material since welding weakens the aluminum. Sutphen uses huck bolts so they can use thinner material in their aerial. This is where they save weight. They do this and still maintain a 3:1 safety factor.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Sutphen sounds well built, kinda. If thats the case, why did the first 110' LT built by them fail at the factory? Just a thought.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 02-09-2004 at 10:57 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Thread Information