I was figuring this would already be posted on the mainpage of the site. But since it isn't this is about the best place to put it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------Firefighter breaks back in fall from roof while fighting Montrose house fire

By KIM WIEDMAN, Daily News
MONTROSE - Just two days after Mike Clark became the owner of a house in Montrose, a fire destroyed the two-story home and left a local firefighter with injuries.

The Montrose Fire Department was called to the scene of a house fire at 311 W. Meade at 2:14 p.m. Sunday, and with mutual aid from the Dieterich and Teutopolis fire departments, the fire was extinguished three hours later.

While trying to extinguish the blaze, Montrose firefighter Rick Overbeck fell off the roof of the home made slick by freezing temperatures, according to Montrose Fire Chief Chris Overbeck. Rick Overbeck fractured his back in the fall.

According to Chris Overbeck, the fire started in the lower level of the home where occupants were attempting to thaw pipes with a torpedo heater. The wall caught fire, and then the fire spread to the attic and the upper level of the home. The occupants of the home were not injured.

"There was lots of smoke and water damage. It was totally destroyed," said Chris Overbeck. "(The firefighters) did an excellent job getting the fire put down and keeping the structure in tact. I commend them on their job."

Because Clark had just purchased the home, Chris Overbeck said the house didn't contain possessions.

Rick Overbeck was transported to St. Anthony's Memorial Hospital, Effingham, after his fall.

The hospital does not release patient information, but according to the fire chief, his brother, Rick Overbeck is expected to be in the hospital for several days.

Contact Kim Wiedman at 217-347-7151 ext. 128 or kwiedman@effinghamdailynews.com.