firefighter3531
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Recruitment Ideas

I would like some .02 cents from all of u folks on recruiting ideas. i am from a fd that runs about 1000 calls a yr and going up. We currently have 26 members on the list and about 10 active. We are located on the outside of a bigger city in alabama and seem to have problems drawing folks into the fd. we cover about 6000 homes in 32 sq. miles. any help would be greatfull and thanks for your time........john boy

Forum Member

Default Recruiting

Hey...Well my dept runs approx. 350-500 runs a year...We have 67 dedicated volunteers...3 Chiefs,6 Capts,10 Lt's,3 Safety's,1 Fire Constable and 44 FF's...Ways we have gone about recruiting..Put posters up around your town in Grocery stores and other busy places in your town inviting people to drop in to your station and visit with members.Also we have an information session yearly to invite the public out to tell them what this is all about...We also allow people interested in joining watch in on training nights or other nights such as equipment checks etc to see the many things we do. These have always been helpfull ways and help to make our force strong

-Stephen,KVFD

Put posters up as stated...
    Building up your Jr fire fighter program is a must.... Also make sure you are doing education with the elementry kids... I know alot of the people in there 20s who are on my fire department now became interested when they were in elementry school...

MembersZone Subscriber

Before you think about posters, open houses, public displays, whatever, there is one thing you must do to attract new members. Put your own house in order.

Ask yourself these questions about your FD:
    1. Does your fire house look like a professional workplace where the serious work of fire suppression and life safety takes place? Or does it look like the clubhouse from Spanky and Our Gang? You don't have to have a lavish station to make it look professional.

2. Do your members represent what is good about your community? Or do they represent a "good ol' boys club" that is stuck in the early 1970"s?

3. Do we welcome new faces here? Or do we treat them like outsiders until we grant them the privelegeof entry to the inner circle?

4. Do we have good, intelligent sounding information to provide a potential new applicant? Or do we have some slack-jawed illiterate telling war stories in the apparatus bay?

5. Do our officers project professionalism and confidence? Or do they promote an authoritarian, do-it-my-way-or-else, culture that does not develop and foster new members?

6. Do you provide professional career enrichment opportunities (ie: training)? Or do you simply provide OTJ that is largely unstructured and undocumented?

7. Do you provide a reason for a new recruit to stay?

There are many, many opportunities for a person to perform community service that do not take up as much time and energy as the fire service. You also have to realize that you are competing for a finite number of potential volunteers with these other organizations. Recruit as if you were recruiting for a career job. Project that level of enthusiasm and professionalism. Put your house in order BEFORE the recruitment program begins.

Forum Member

Beer & pizza usually work, right? Just kidding... figured there was room for a little humor. Besides, there's already a thread on the beer subject!

It's awful to say, but sometimes people need to know what they're gonna get out of it. The personal benefits & potential for a career (people have to start somewhere!) can be enough to spark interest. As others have said, it's not the promoting of a "good old boy's club" or a place to get away from the spouse. This is a way to help our communities in a way that promotes teamwork, dedication, and honor. That, combined with the fact that your town(s) need more people like this, can be enough to convince outsiders to come in. Visibility is key. Having open houses, being out among the people everywhere they are (stores, banks, landfills), and having a good clear description of what's involved, what they have to do & what the department will do for them... should help your cause.

Good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Default recruiting

Myself and another firefighter put together a couple of power point presentations and went to the high school to talk to the seniors. One was informational stuff, ie.. employment requirements, training available, pay, and other stuff. The other was action shots from scenes or training set to music. We've had a few new recruits since then, but not sure how much our presentation had to do with it. I'd like to do it again but include the junior class as well.

Forum Member

Default Re: recruiting

Originally posted by NFD159
    Myself and another firefighter put together a couple of power point presentations and went to the high school to talk to the seniors. One was informational stuff, ie.. employment requirements, training available, pay, and other stuff. The other was action shots from scenes or training set to music. We've had a few new recruits since then, but not sure how much our presentation had to do with it. I'd like to do it again but include the junior class as well.
    Except it needs to be given to the kids from the vocational school also. They are probably more likely to stay in the city and not go to away to college........

Forum Member

Except it needs to be given to the kids from the vocational school also. They are probably more likely to stay in the city and not go to away to college........
    I know, I'd like to get out there also.

MembersZone Subscriber

one more time

MembersZone Subscriber

again

Forum Member

When you are recruiting, remember that everyone ghas diffrent motivations for joining:

Some join to learn new skills, and yes begin a career in
    firefighting. Some departments don't want these folks, as "they are
    just going to move away", but think of it as motivated short-term
    labor. They have a place.

Some join to meet new people.

Some join for the brotherhood.

Some join for the opportunity to share existing skills.

Some join for the excitement.

Some join to assist the community.

Remember that when you recruit you need to hit all these motivations,
    Not necessarily in one poster or message. Target your recruiting efforts. For example, stress the "on the job training" with High school kids. Stress "community service" when talking to church or civic groups. Stress "meeting new people" when talking to seniors if you have a special member program. Stress "share existing skills" when talking to groups with professionals or retired professionals. Get to know your community.

To me, the best thing you can do is run a coordinated effirt 2-3 times a year. Simultaniously, do the following:

Posters in local businesses.
    Real Estate Signs on the roadway.
    Article(s) in the local paper.
    Pop-up advertisement on local access TV.
    School program.
    Display and information setup at local grocery store.
    Banner in front of the station.

Run it for 2-3 weeks. Much longer and the message will no longer be new and will not be "recognized" by the brain. This way you can run 1 "new member" training program every 3-4 months, coordinated with your recruiting drives.

Remember, the key to successful advertising is folks seeing a message over and over. If you use multiple tactics at once, they will see the message repaetedly, and be far more likely to think about joining.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Scratchy635
    Put posters up as stated...
    Building up your Jr fire fighter program is a must.... Also make sure you are doing education with the elementry kids... I know alot of the people in there 20s who are on my fire department now became interested when they were in elementry school...
    My mom's friend's son was a firefighter when I was a little girl and I remember in early elementary school we said what we wanted to be when we grew up and I said a "firefighter like Patrick". And I don't really remember much of elementary school classes but I remember when firefighters came in about fire prevention!
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

Got a website with an applicationon it?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I'm with the website idea... I use the Internet sooo much, I actually found out about a church online and I've been going there for almost 2 years.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Thread Information