Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Toledo, OH 2+ Alarmer.

WTOL Story and Footage

TOLEDO -- Employees of Maumee Valley Fabrications, Inc. and Tool Crib, Inc. met Tuesday morning to discuss their future. The businesses on Bennett Road were severly damaged when a major fire broke out Monday afternoon.

"Very black smoke and a lot of it going right towards our house," said neighbor Ron Zomkowski as he described what he saw.

Other neighbors said the smoke and flames were scary. "Folks like myself are a bit frightened about that," said Vince Wuwert. But no one was as worried as those who live right next door. "I'm just hoping they get it out as soon as possible so we can get power back," said Joe Cumpian who stood just feet away from the flames shooting into the sky.

Karen Coolidge works with the fabricators. "One of the gals that owns the Tool Crib had heard some popping sounds," said Coolidge. "She opened the closet and flames just shot up to the wall," she added. Coolidge went on to tell us Tool Crib owner Liz Robles then ran for help.

Workers thought about using an extinguisher, but they got worried about the paints and explosive chemicals inside so they got everyone out safely. Firefighters were concerned about the chemicals as well, plus the nearby apartments and very worried when walls started collapsing. That's when they got all firefighters out from inside the building. "It's a very difficult fire from the standpoint of the size of the building," said Fire Chief Michael Bell. "It's a little difficult on the backside of the building, but I'm extremely pleased with the firefighters efforts," he told us.

Now owners are focusing their efforts to evaluate where they go from here with the plant and their 60 workers. "It's a pretty sad situation, pretty scary," said Coolidge. "Business had just started to turn around. We have a lot of product in the shop," she added.

Maumee Valley Fabrications VP Bob Palmer says the company plans to rebuild and move on.

Files, papers, drawings have all been destroyed, but the manufacturing area didn't get hit with too many flames. They could be able to continue making the custom metal and machining for the steel and energy industry.

Maumee Valley Fabrications has been in Toledo since 1978. The Tool Crib has been renting space from them and employs three people.

Updated Tuesday, February 3, 2004 at 2:35 p.m. by bwray@wtol.com

MembersZone Subscriber WTFDChief730's Avatar

I'm glad I was off duty for that all nighter.
    The WTFD had an engine fill in TFRD station 24 for about 6 hrs. while 24's was at the fire.

the big city went to 6's and did some runs ........also about 6 hours worth. I sent the story to news @ Fh.com but got ZERO response !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Toledo was at it again tonight........... 2 Alarm 3 Story Apartment fire in 25's district. Called for a 2nd right away. LS5 also specialed for another LS due to multiple people jumping from the 3 story apartments. Ended up with 3 LSs (3, 4, and 5) plus 3 privates. 9 pt.s transported last I knew. Sounds like the guys did a heck of a job. At one point had fire reported to be in all apartments on all divisions. Sounded like they had it under control in roughly 30-45 min. Making them people in the AO earn their money these last 2 days......

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by WTFDChief730
    I'm glad I was off duty for that all nighter.
    The WTFD had an engine fill in TFRD station 24 for about 6 hrs. while 24's was at the fire.
    Man I miss everything! If I'm not at work, I'm hospitalized with double pneumonia
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Sorry to hear that, MOe. Hope you feel better........

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Sorry to hear that, MOe. Hope you feel better........
    Thanks Brian, I'm down but not out.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information