Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Don't be saaad, 'cause two out of three ain't bad

Just got the DJ on my last pending grant for 2003. I wasn't all that surprised, since it was for a truck. The other two I wrote were funded, so I don't look at it as batting .667 this year. I look at it as being 0-fer on truck grants and batting 1.000 on non-truck grants.

Bring on 2004!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Don't be sad? I'm 0/3 for MY department over the last 3 years. Don't be sad? I'll remember that the next time I strap on the 40 YO SCBA with the steel tank because our 3 "good" ones are on somebody's else's back.
    EastKYFF, read your signature line.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Jack, as a brother firefighter I want you in adequate PPE just as much as those for whom I was fortunate to get funding. Fire burns in Illinois just as hot as it does in Kentucky.

But to imply that you are in old SCBA's only because I am in new ones is misdirected anger. You are in old SCBA's because, for whatever reason, you didn't make your case with FEMA. The evaluation process is subjective and might be unfair, but whatever the system is, it isn't my fault. Go to a workshop and ask for help. It's what I did after getting shot down in 2001 and 2002, and I am convinced it helped me. It may not do the trick for you next year, but it will help a damn sight more than getting on here and bashing me.

My post was intended to mean that I was taking my punches and getting geared up for 2004. It was not intended to suggest that others who weren't funded should just laugh it off.

And I really don't care if you think anything I've said is "the stupidest thing ever."
    Last edited by EastKyFF; 02-05-2004 at 02:45 PM.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

You know what, I went to the FEMA workshop the last two years and I'm going again next Saturday. I've read the program guidances again and again. I learned enough last year to not try for a truck, since we already had 3 of what we needed to replace (30-45 YO). So we tried for SCBA for both stations. I thought my narrative was as good as some I read that got funded. Maybe I asked for too much, I don't know.
    Who's fault is it that we've got junk SCBA? Our district trustees and past chiefs for not having the foresight to put some money aside for new equipment. Two years ago I worked hard to get a tax increase passed so that we'd have funds for a new truck and some other things we really need. We'll get that money at the end of this year and maybe little by little we'll get what we really need.
    Your heading just upset me. Yes, 2 out of 3 is pretty good. I wouldn't be sad either. You're only patting yourself on the back for writing good grants. Good for whoever got the $, I'm sure they deserve it. Was it your dept. that got turned down, or another dept? I'd like to know cause I'm sure the one that got the DJ isn't so happy you went 2/3. As far as they're concerned, they got 0. Right?
    I didn't mean to bash you. I only meant to say that it is "stupid" to say that it's ok if somebody didn't get funded. And that's what you implied. End of discussion.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information