Thread: Chat

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chat

Where is everyone? For days no one has been in the chat room

former FH.com member

Exclamation chat

Ever since the WT had to make the chat "Members only" in January it has been DOA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ooooh ok

That explains it then !

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool chat

I miss it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default So.............let's

So....let's write a petition to get it back up and running for everyone not members

I wondered why I couldn't log in to it... I refuse to pay to use their website, since I pay the unusually high rate to subscribe to the magazine. Why pay twice to read the same stuff, that really, you can go to many other firefighting sites and get the same thing for free...

I stand by my opinion, but let me re-phrase. It's not my fault that people use the site for other purposes that what it is for...

There are other sites available that are free, and have more users. There are private chat rooms from yahoo groups that have hundreds of members. Webteam makes it difficult to use firehouse.com. Why pay here today, where problems with some people may cause it to shut down tomorrow? Perhaps the member zone should be free for those who pay the subscription fee for the magazine; and those who do not subscribe, can pay a fee to be a member.
    Last edited by historyjunkie; 02-06-2004 at 12:22 AM.

Forum Member

Webteam is ruining the -once- fun expirence of using Firehouse.com
    Oh please...if you read why they shutdown the chat I'm sure you would be more understanding. And plus at times the Webteam has bent over backwards for the website and the forums so I think a little appreciation is necessary, I've had a few run ins with the Webteam but doesn't mean I'm going to keep putting blame on them. And plus the Webteam could make the whole site where you have to pay I give them props for making a lot of this free.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

A few reasons the chat was shut down...

1. People misrepresenting themselves as members of the webteam and threatening lawsuits against members of the forums.

2. Sexual harrassment.

3. Obscenities spewed on a regular basis.

4. Very little chat going on about firefighting...it was more like "badge bunny heaven" and "the dating game".

5. The very nice people who own and run this site got tired of dealing with the bovine scat the chat generated.

Get get a life and get over it!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up There's a Better Way.............

There are "Chats" out there, that are fun, AND informative. One, in particular, has gone a long way toward making our Brotherhood a better place. But there is no room, with most of us, for the things that were mentioned by Capt. Gonzo in his post. We are engaged in a line of work that DOES NOT guarantee that we will come back from the next run, and that fact requires that we have a certain attitude towards our lifestyle. Some of the things popping up on the Chats that I have looked in on, were so childish, for want of a better term, that there was no question in my mind that Firefighters were not present in that group. We're certainly not angels, but I would submit that we're above that level of BS. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Disillusioned Subscriber

posted by hwoods: We're certainly not angels, but I would submit that we're above that level of BS.
    Amen, Harv, amen.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Question for the Web Team

Is there any possibility of offering an opportunity for subscribers to have an open chat with, say, Chief Goldfeder, for example, or other notable contributors to the magazine and/or web site? This may restore some credibility to the chat room and revive itself as a place for firefighters and EMS professionals to come together to share thoughts and ideas.

It's crazy enough that it just might work! Think about it, please.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

District Chief

Captaingonzo and hwoods are right on target....

gordoffemt has an excellent idea, although I do not see it materializing.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy

It's really sad when people think the FH chat room is internet_find_a_date.com or some sort of sexual discussion group. It had degraded into nothing short of that, along with the sexual harassment instances....so the Webteam clearly had no choice. While it has resulted in the chat room being DOA.....well, so be it.

NJ
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information