Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default scba communications

As far as i know i dont believe anyone has these. but as you all know comunicated amongst each other with scba on is prety close to impossible, i know scott has come out with alot of different voice mics. but anyway i was thinkin perhaps use the mics that sit on your throat like the swat and seals use, this way it would be protected slightly by turnout coat and hood, but wont have any complications with scba mask, and use an ear piece to hear the other, all would fit under hood no problem. anyway this might already have been tried or might even be on market, i was just thinkin about that today.

Forum Member

I was thinking about this a month ago, go to ebay and search for throat mics, they have a bunch of them, they seem to be compatable with every motorola portable except the model that we have, go figure.

Forum Member

$ 29.95
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

but would they have to be more heat resistant? or are they ok as it is?

The department that I am doing my community learning project at has (MSA?) masks with the built in HUD and communications. They aren't in service yet though, we're waiting for the new station. Are the "Throat Mics" heat resistant though? I know I've roasted outside of a fire before.

Forum Member

MSA has Helmet Communication System that is basically a skull mic clipped on the ratchet on your helmet. They work pretty well (we tried them when we were testing out new SCBAs). You can hear very well, and the mic will pick up and sound clear even with a SCBA on.

http://media.msanet.com/NA/USA/FireH...S/10046197.pdf

.zimm

First, the mic and wires would be under your Nomex hood. Second, your skin is much more sensitive to the heat than plastic. If you feel that much heat, it's probably time to back up a little bit. The hard part is having the radio outside your gear, then the wire find a path inside your gear.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

We went the cheap route, FDNY radio straps and Voice Emitters. This seems to work real well.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Having used throat mics I found them to be rather cumbersome. When you sweat, the mic and strap slide are able to slide around on your neck when you move. I also feel uncomfortable using them because I dont like the feeling of them on my neck. We used them in a HazMat situation and the entire radio and mic/earpeice were inside the A suit. I would think that as Bones said, wire routing would be a problem. We use the Scott Envoy radio system and are quite happy with it. Voice amplifier and radio communications all in one.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

We have the Envoys for officers. It took a little while for me to get them working right with our portables (some audio level problems). But they workd great now. We don't have a whole lot in the way of fires but the use they have gotten has been well recieved.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber Firefighter1219's Avatar

Default DRAEGER COMMUNICATIONS

Our new Draeger airpacks have voice diaphragms built into the facepiece along with a wireless transmitter. When you speak into your handheld, your voice is transferred perfectly. We have played with this feature during training, and it sounds as clear and someone without an airpack.

When I use it, all I have to do is lean my head over to the left to where my head is by the mic and speak into it. The radio is protected inside my radio pocket.
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

Forum Member

Skull mic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We have the scott voice amplifiers that attach to the face piece they are compatable with the scot mask since scott makes them. they are very effective and fairly inexpensive.

Thread Information