Question Fire Prevention Week

Currently at my school we don't have a fire prevention/safety program for the elementary part of my school (privare school)... How could I influence my principal and local vfd to start one?

MembersZone Subscriber

Rblack,

There are a lot of different things you could try depending on your community and department situation.

For your VFD, you need to show folks how it will benefit the department. Some of your memebers will want to do it because it is the right thing to do. You can pull they ones who are on the fence or somewhat opposed by showing a benefit to the department. Does the goodwill created cause the mom's and dad's to donate more money to the VFD? Future memebers cultivated by a continued presence in the schools? Connections developed with officials and influential parent's that will assist the department in the political arena and/or corporate partners? Just some examples.

You really have to take the same theory to the school but with a different angle. Most teachers feel they are overworked and do not have time for something else. Can you deliver a program that requires nothing extra from them? Is educationally sound? Can enhance the current curriculum? No cost to the school is a HUGE plus in the administrators eyes!

Good programs that fit the bill are the NFPA Risk Watch program as well as the Red Cross Masters of Disaster. Both were developed by educators and fire service professionals and meet most states standards of learning tests. They are both comprehensive fire and injury prevention programs.

One last item: If you have good data that can show the kids in your community are getting hurt and even, hate to say, killed in preventable fire and injury incidents. An increase from year to year should inspire both the department and schools to do something.

Remember: There are NO accidents. Most incidents are preventable!
    Bill Delaney

Program Manager - Community Safety Education

Montgomery County Fire & Rescue

101 Monroe St., 12th Floor

Rockville, MD 20850

(O) 240.777.2448

(P) 301.629.2306

(C) 301.648.1262

http://www.mcfrs.org

thanks for your input...

MembersZone Subscriber

No problem. Please feel free to drop me a line if you need to discuss further. I think we are all faced, or have faced, the same issues and problems.

Stay Safe!
    Bill Delaney

Program Manager - Community Safety Education

Montgomery County Fire & Rescue

101 Monroe St., 12th Floor

Rockville, MD 20850

(O) 240.777.2448

(P) 301.629.2306

(C) 301.648.1262

http://www.mcfrs.org

Thread Information