MembersZone Subscriber

Question Medical Military Discharge/Chances in fire service???

I know a lot of people here are or were prior military, so I'm hoping that maybe someone will be able to help me out! Right now I'm stationed at Elmendorf AFB, AK. I've been having trouble breathing for the last 4 months or so, its off and on. I went to a Dr. and he automatically started talking about asthma. I have never had asthma in my life, I was a paid/on-call firefighter before I joined the Air Force, and never had any trouble. So what I'm wondering is if I get seperated for having asthma, and I get medically cleared when I get out will that effect my chances of getting on a Dept?? I've heard of a lot of people getting misdiagnosed in the military with asthma. Especially in the Air Force! Just thought I would try to get any info that I could. Because when I get out I am planning on going back into the fire serice. Thanks a lot!!

Forum Member

Most Cities and Fire Departments will not even entertain the idea of taking on a person with health problems. You probably could not pass the medical physical that the cities give. It must meet the standards of NFPA and the city and department would not wave the PFT to hire someone.

Each member anually has to pass the PFT and face piece test. If not they are put on medical leave and must see their own doctor and get medical attention.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default PFT results

I'm getting the PFT results on monday. But the Dr. was still telling me that I could be seperated for asthma even if I pass that. I didnt understand how that worked. I'm 99% sure that I dont have asthma, and that the problem that I've been having is from the new living conditions. I've never been to AK and the air is much dryer that I am used to, and there are other things in the air that can effect breathing. But the Dr's here on base didnt even want to look at that. And for me to get a 2nd opinion I have to go off base and pay outta my own pocket. I'm pretty sure I passed the PFT test though, I have taken it before for the dept. I was on before I joined the military. But thanks for your reply. Hopefully I'll get things figured out.
    "If you can keep your head while all about you are losing theirs"

Forum Member

Good luck to you. Maybe you don't have any problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I can only hope!!

I can only hope everything is OK!! I'm still having some trouble breathing though, I just want to know what it is! And the military Dr's arent helping too much. Well thanks again!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Here in New Jersey Veterans (those who qualify for veterans preference) go to the top of the hiring lists in the order in which they scored provided that they passed. Disabled Veterans go above that.

I don't know all the particulars about the rules but we had a guy who was a disabled vet who scored a 72% and was on the list ahead of vets and non vets who scored much higher. He wouldn't talk about his disability but after I got to know him I think it was probably a section 8. In the end he left on a disability after 4 years service.

Sorry to go off on a rant, but the point is that you must find out the rules for the particular jurisdiction you are trying to get hired in.
    DKK
    Truck Man
    APFD
    IAFF Local 384:

"Above all, an assignment to a truck company should be considered a promotion."

Chief John W. Mittendorf-1998

Forum Member

Plus too, he is also covered by the ADA if the military certified him as disabled. He should contact the VA and the ADA to see what his chances are.

I had vet preference but only got 5 opoints when i came on the job. The 5 points stay with you even when you are moving up by promotions.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll have to look into all that! I have 3 years on my regular enlistment, but if I get seperated for disability that could help me out I guess. I didnt know that depts. didnt look at why you were discharged. Or do they, because I wouldnt think a section 8 would qualify someone to be a firefighter. But who am I to judge!! Well things could be looking better for me I guess. As long as I pass the PFT, especially when it really matters!! Thanks again!!

Forum Member

Actually, if the department and city does a good back ground check, it will find out a lot. Ours goes throught he state police and their world wide connections. Too bad the city does do this for the council members!!! Did I say that. Yes I did..

A section 8 would be grounds to keep someone out. Plus any criminal record is grounds not to hire.

Good luck partner.

Stay Safe and Well!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats what I thought, a section 8 would disqualify someone. But who really knows what the reasons for the section 8 were. one can only speculate. But at least I know mine would be honorable!! Thanks a lot guys!! I dont know whats gonna happen, but getting other peoples view points sure does help!!

Default Honorable Vs. Medical

Your DD214 will only give out the type of Discharge. IE. Honorable, Other than Honorable, Bad Conduct or Dishonorable There is no such thing as a medical discharge. You can be discharged medically and receive a dishonorable discharge. No where on your DD214 will it say what your reason for separation is.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

Thread Information