Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Medical Military Discharge/Chances in fire service???

I know a lot of people here are or were prior military, so I'm hoping that maybe someone will be able to help me out! Right now I'm stationed at Elmendorf AFB, AK. I've been having trouble breathing for the last 4 months or so, its off and on. I went to a Dr. and he automatically started talking about asthma. I have never had asthma in my life, I was a paid/on-call firefighter before I joined the Air Force, and never had any trouble. So what I'm wondering is if I get seperated for having asthma, and I get medically cleared when I get out will that effect my chances of getting on a Dept?? I've heard of a lot of people getting misdiagnosed in the military with asthma. Especially in the Air Force! Just thought I would try to get any info that I could. Because when I get out I am planning on going back into the fire serice. Thanks a lot!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I guess it would depend on where you apply, We just took on a new recruit who has Asthma, but there are some depts that have different standards, I suppose it would also depend on how badly the Asthma(if indeed thats what it is) affects you. I wish you luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks a lot! I'm like 99% sure that I dont have asthma, but the military Drs are really pusing for that. But I guess if its just something up here then I'll be able to pass a PFT for any dept. I took a PFT up here almost 2 weeks ago, and I'm going in to see results early next week. Hopefully that will help out with something. But thats still encouraging that your dept. took on someone with asthma! If you dont mind me asking, where is that dept?? Well thanks again!!
    "If you can keep your head while all about you are losing theirs"

I filled out an application recently that had a section asking if I was physically able to do the job with "reasonable accommodation." If you find that this is handled with medication or an inhaler, that should be all you need, and a medical condition should make little difference. You're already accustomed to physical fitness training, so familiarize yourself with the standard CPAT testing courses. You'll need to be in decent health to do many of the fitness tests. Best of luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Im With the Los Alamos NM FD. we cover the town and the Nuclear Lab facilities. 5 operational stations and one training station, 129 full time personnel who have to obtain a "Q" clearance from DOE.

I had a similar situation. I was medicaly discharged from the coast guard. After being discharged from the CG I went to a civilian doctor who specialzed in my particular "condition". I was cleared for duty and now work on a full time department. All the run around can be a hassle but well worth it if this is really what you want to do. Good Luck!

Thread Information