MembersZone Subscriber

Question Military experience

How much does military experience really help you getting on a dept? Before I joined the military I was on a paid/on-call dept. and I tried to get into firefighting in the military but that that didnt work out. I'm currently in the Air Force active duty. I'm an aircrew egress tech. Work on ejection seats. I'm wondering how much just regular military helps when trying to get hired on a dept. Eventhough I'm not doing any firefighting at this time. I'm planning on taking some classes, and trying to get certs like EMT and such. I already have FF1, and a few others. Just any info would help out! Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by twhite00; 02-06-2004 at 11:41 AM.
    "If you can keep your head while all about you are losing theirs"

Forum Member

Well, I don't see where being in the military, in and of itself will really help you actually get in. However, all civil Dept's in Texas, and I assume everywhere else, give applicants and additional 5 points on the entrance test if they have military service. You will have to show your DD214 at either at the test, or at some point, and the 5 points will be added to your score. Having a clean military record may help in you in ways not seen.. for instance the people who are reviewing your application may take into account that you were in the military and din't get into any trouble etc.. that may help. But, in most large dept's here... even being a firefighter in another city won't help you "get in". You're going to have to that part on your own... being a FF or military may only help sway someones opinion later on in the process. Hope this helps.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Disillusioned Subscriber

Ohio adds 20% of your passing score for military service with an honorable discharge.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, if you apply to a federal fire position, like the USFS or BLM fire crews, I do believe that vet points are worth a lot. There seems to be a lot of X military people in those organizations, at least in the fire fighting.

You are on the right track by geting all of your certifications, and you might want to look into joining a volunteer fire department to get some experience on your resume.

Have you tried realy hard to get transfered to a military fire fighting unit? That would be a great way to get second to none training at top dollar facilities.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just some more thoughts on military and the federal wildland fire service.

There is a very very strong connection between the military and the worlds most elite fire fighting unit.

The Smoke Jumpers. The fire service para troopers.

I do believe that haveing military experience, and especialy Air Force experience, may be a real bonus to getting into the jumper program, wheater as a firefighter or in another job.

Hell, the Triple Nickle (555 PIR Airborn) WAS a military force that was part of the Smoke Jumpers here in Montana.

Some more of the military/smoke jumper history has been comeing out over the years as classifications and time wears on.

Lots of stories can be found here.

http://www.smokejumpers.com/smokejum...zine/index.php

Jumpers, the CIA, and exotic places (Like Vietnam, Bay of Pigs, Laos, and others that cant be mentioned)

http://www.smokejumpers.com/smokejum...editions_id=19

http://www.smokejumpers.com/smokejum...editions_id=16

http://www.smokejumpers.com/smokejum...editions_id=15

Smoke Jumpers Vs. Terrorists

http://www.smokejumpers.com/smokejum..._editions_id=8
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.................

I'm glad to hear from someone who wants to get into the Fire Service. My question is borrowed from a TV commercial, "Where do you want to go today?" Do you have a particular area in mind? Some places are only interested in Paramedics who can fight fires on occasion, other places are looking for firefighters only. Look around, there are a huge amount of websites that can give you an idea of what is available. Best Wishes, Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information