Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawzall

MembersZone Subscriber

Any thoughts on the 18v cordless Milwaukee tools?, More specifically, the ones equipped with Curtis Wright (Power Hawk)12 v corded options? I understand the recip. saw loses approx. 100spm and the circ. saw approx.200rpm when using corded 12v power but that should be insignificant if using the right blades. I'm seriously considering purchasing this stuff due to it's versatility and compatability with equip. used by the local FEMA task force. I've allready ruled out the DeWalt 24v/110 corded option because 110 is not allways practical in collapse,wet and or con-space scenarios.It seems portable 12v power or direct connect to the truck makes more sense. John F.

JF,They had that stuff at the NE Fire Chiefs show in Springfield last year.I'm sure they'll be there this year and I'll bet you could get a "road test".Sold by an outfit in Mass. if I remember right(but I might not).T.C.

Talk about staying on the fence.... We actually carry the cordless DeWalt and the corded Mil. SuperSawzall.

Reason being... keep your options open. Easy access to power source..use the milwaukee. Remote operation down in the woods, etc use the DeWalt.

I haven't had a problem with either one. We did have the outer jacket of the milwaukee cord get damaged but like Rescue101 stated, ordered a new cord and quarter-turned it on to the saw for easy replacement.

As with anything in fire/rescue I like having the options of both styles.

Stay Safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have just one comment from reading this long post. I would be on the look out for a saw that has the quick release for the saw blade. This way you don't have to go hunting for the little lost allen wrench. Good luck.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

My career FD carries Milwaukee corded Sawzalls and DeWalt 18 volt cordless.

My volly FD carries Porter Cable corded reciprocating saw and a DeWalt 18 volt cordless.

All have preformed well when needed.

For blades we just go to Home Depot and buy EXTREME blades. they are cheaper than Milwaukee or DeWalt blades and are much beefier. We have had better luck with these than any other blade. As well as being able to have a large stock of them on hand due to the price.

FyredUp

FFT,As I stated earlier in the thread,we had two Dewalt cordless that the gearboxes exploded on.Now these were on two Demo saws we were beta testing.We sent them back to Dewalt along with a nastygram.I suspect some changes were made in this area.I agree that cordless have their place but not in my Dept.And that particular issue has nothing to do with any issue except batteries.But again, I ask that anyone considering a Recip saw for rescue work look at two things;Amps and weight.Amps,regardless of power source is where you get the ability to work the tool with results,and weight;lightweight components(in recip saws)equal less durability;a heavier saw will GENERALLY have better motors and transmission components.We use corded saws exclusively,multiple power sources,firepower shielded cord systems,and lack of battery maintaince issues are all contributing factors.I know Dewalt makes good stuff,after all their battery pack powers Holmatro's SCRT.But to make the blanket statement(Which you didn't make)that Dewalts cordless saw is God's answer to vehicle rescue work;I don't buy it and I've got conclusive evidence that just isn't so.And I started my career in vehicle rescue when the only "power tools" were a porto power and a diamond hacksaw.We've evolved a bit from that,thankfully.T.C.

Thread Information