Question Sharpening Irons???

I just came from Fire Expo. I saw how FDNY filed and sharpened their irons. What tools and methods do they use to do this (thinning the haligan, notching the axe, etc.). Any feedback would be great, thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

All you need to use is a mill bastard file and some oil to rub the halligan down with when done!

any more suggestions

Forum Member

It is important to not only maintain the Halligan, but to keep a nice edge on the adz end ( chisel sharp ) It allows you to go through a carrige bolt on a door in one shot with an axe or maul, and Ive also used it to open a small hole around soil pipes in roofs to check for extension, usually with 3 or 4 swings, when no saw is on the roof. If you know how to use a Halligan and the many things it can be used for, you realize how crucial it is to maintain it properly. As for how to do it. We only use hand files. Never use a grinding wheel, it will eat through it before you know what happened.

Default Not too sharp!!

my suggestion is to file them sharp and then file the edge just enough that its not razor sharp. if you leave them razor sharp they will chip and your blades will be useless after just a few uses.

just my opinion not exactly textbook

MembersZone Subscriber

Never use a grinding wheel
    Never say never. A grinding wheel can be used for severe damage or dullness, however, it is important not to overheat the metal (blue the steel). Fast passes and a water bath between. Overheated metal will break easily when used. Grinding should be used to bring the steel within 80-90% of the desired edge then finished off with a hand file.

Many companies will notch the center of the adz for a good bite on bolts, etc and hone the vee. I'm not a big advocate of this. As for chisel sharp, I think that may be extreme, I prefer an edge similar to a dull lawn mower blade (if that makes sense). If you have a good eye a three angle edge will prove strong and durable.
    Last edited by E229Lt; 06-20-2004 at 10:06 AM.

Thread Information