Forum Member

Default What Type of Pliers

Hey i was just wondering what type of pliers are better to carry, i currently carry a small pair of channel locks for batter cables and such, but im trying to decide what cutting pliers are better, whether it be the LINEMEN pliers, DIKES (sp?, sorry if i offened anyone)or needle nose. thanks in advance

Forum Member

Lightbulb

I carry heavy duty lineman pliers. Especially useful for cutting obstructions like drop ceiling wires, phone cords, and other stuff that falls when a drop ceiling comes down leaving entanglement hazards. The other good thing is they have a flat tip so I can get a grip on hinge pins more easily when removing a door. Some people prefer a high angle wire cutter that supposedly cuts nails. Another option is a set of vise grips with a short piece of dog chain attached to the end for holding pad locks (better to hit that then my fingers!) or securing a door handle to allow for quick closing from a distance if conditions degrade.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry a few things. I have a set of vice grips with the chain, but more and more I use my fencer's pliers. or controling the door I use webbing now. I also havea leatherman attached to my radio strap but that is for non emergency stuff mostly.

Forum Member

One thing to keep in mind is that some pliers (the rounded kind) are designed to only cut soft metals, like copper and aluminum, which is mostly used in electrical wires. If you try to cut steel wire, such as barbed wire or the wire in HVAC ducts, you will ruin them.

Forum Member

This is the Pliers that I carry: FirePlier by Pocket-tool, not the Channellock Rescue Tool. It features, a gas shut off, Hydrant shut off tool, spanner wrench, 10" slip groove pliers, 5/16" and 1/4" nut drivers, #1 & #2 phillip screwdrivers, 3/16" & 1/4" standard screwdrivers. The unit fits easily into a standard bunker pocket (using a sleeve/tool holder is suggested and comes with the tool). See more details at www.FirePlier.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

I used to carry a Lineman plyers but found it to be a pain due to being big and bulky. I have found a Leatherman to be much more versatile and useful on the fireground.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I used to carry a Lineman plyers but found it to be a pain due to being big and bulky. I have found a Leatherman to be much more versatile and useful on the fireground.
    Dickey while I agree that the Leatherman is a valuable tool it certainly is not a replacement for the linesman's pliers. The linesman's pliers can be used to cut wires during entanglement, cutting battery cables and more. As well as being used as a pliers for turning off gas meters. Different uses for different tools.

Forum Member

I currently carry a pair of heavy duty diagonal cutters (Klein Tool) and a medium pair of Vice Grips... those two tools can do a lot of the tasks i need pliers for on the job, if not all. Add a 6 in 1 screwdriver, a volt sensor and a knife and I can accomplish 99% of the jobs I need small tools for on the fire ground.

I do have a Leatherman Wave on my belt normally when I work, and it is great for daily tasks and non-fire calls. I used to keep a multi-tool in my turnouts, but I realized I never used it when I had full sized tools around.
    "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
    "Speed is not a good alternative to lack of knowledge." -armymedic571

Thread Information