MembersZone Subscriber

Default Collapsible 28" Traffic Cones

Receiving quite a few emails from readers of the University of Extrication series on Safe Parking wanting to know about the collabsible cones I showed in Part 5 "Special Equipment".

As of August '03, there had been 11 patents issued to companies to produce collapsible traffic cones. I got the set that I am currently using from a company in California. Four cones fit in a zippered plastic carry case that measures 12" x 12" x 12". They cost $40/cone. Regular plastic 28" cones with the required two reflective stripes cost about $25 each.

28" cones with two reflective stripes (standard or collapsible, it doesn't matter) are required anytime FD operates at a highway scene where the posted speed limit is greater than 45mph or anytime when used at night within any posted speed limit street, road, or highway.

http://www.pop-upflashingcones.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

dazed and confused

Are you satisfied with them? Would you buy them again?
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

MembersZone Subscriber

how do the cones stand up in the weather such as rain, winds, etc...

MembersZone Subscriber

Field testing still underway. They have a lightweight hard plastic base that would be fragile if it were ever run over. The standard rubbery-plastic cones bend when they get crushed.

Because the collapsible cone is much lighter, they are no way as heavy as the standard cones. They are balanced OK and hold up OK out on the street.

I have not had an incident yet where I've used them in high winds or in the rain but I'm working with them every day, so it's only a matter of time before I'll get to see them under less than ideal conditions.

At this point, they are the only ones I've looked at and worked with out on the street so I don't know how they compare to what is out there.

As far as recommending them, yes. At least I think you could invest in out set of four in the zipper pouch to see how they work for yourself.

Four standard cones cost about $100. Four of the pop-up cones run about $160 with the carry cse.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

dazed and confused

Smile

Thanks for the information, Ron.

We invested in a set of the folding "quick cones" for each truck a year or so ago... imho they're junk. Not only that, they aren't 28" and as such, aren't approved for highway or after-dark use.

I plan on ordering at least one set of these new ones.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Thread Information