Default Video of car fire when air bags hit the FFs???

I seem to recall there was a video out there of a car fire, knocked down, and when the FFs where checking the dash area one of the airbags went off tossing them out of the car.

Maybe I'm just recalling the details of the article, but if there's a video of it online I'd love to find out the URL for it!

Matt
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Don't know of a car fire but I have a copy of the Dayton incident. Send me a private e-mail and we'll figure out how to get you a copy.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

I believe you are talking about the Dayton Incident, which was an MVA and I believe they were using the spreaders on the drivers seat or the console when it happened........

Forum Member

2 stories mixed into 1. The video of the guy getting thrown from the car is the Dayton video, no fire involved. There was, a few months ago, an article about a department in PA that had the bags fire at the end of a car fire, I believe while they were checking the dash for extension.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Ah, Ok.

Dragonfyre, check your email
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Bones; did you get your copy ok?

As per the PA incident Ron Moore was trying to get info from Mercedes Benz who was investigating the incident. Don't know if he's received an answer yet.

My feeling is that the bags exploded due to the heat of the fire. The flash point of sodium azide is around 300 degrees and I'm sure it wasn't hard for the fire in a dash to get over 300 degrees. One fo the videos I use in my air bag class says that it is a "safety feature" that they are designed to deploy at 300 degrees but I think its' the flash point that causes it.

Firefighters have to be aware of this fact when dealing with a car fire. We are all aware of the bags during extrication but we have to get smarter when it comes to fires involving air bags.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified

Forum Member

You might be able to contact State Farm Insurance (Bloomington, Illinois) or the Illinois Fire Service Institute (Urbana, Illinois). They came out to create a responder safety video when we burned cars during an extrication class. There is a video from 2 or 3 different angles of the evolution from start of the fire to the driver\passenger air bags going off, then the side impact ones firing. It also has good video of shock towers and the drive shaft failing, same with the gas tank dropping.

.zimm

Forum Member

Bones; did you get your copy ok?
    Aces dude. I have not done my presentation with it yet, that comes in March? I've only shown it to 2 or 3 guys so far. Was quite the eye opener for them.

Thanks again.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77
    I believe you are talking about the Dayton Incident, which was an MVA and I believe they were using the spreaders on the drivers seat or the console when it happened........
    I think they were using the ram in the centre consol of the vehicle. From what I understand, the main airbag sensor was below the base of the ram, or whatever tool they were using, and it deployed the airbag even though the battery was cut.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

Dayton was using a spreader, not a ram. One arm of the spreader was resting on the DERM. Battery was never disconnected due to not stabilizing the vehicle. As they were trying to open the hood, complaints of too much vehicle movement stopped them from disconnecting the battery.

Sample picture of what was going on...
    Last edited by Bones42; 03-15-2011 at 09:38 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello!

I don't know about a video showing an accidental airbag deployment during a vehicle fire. I only now the dayton Video which is perhaps the only well documented case of an accidental airbag deployment ever!

I know a video I got from NHTSA some years ago showing a vehicle on fire, you could also that there is an object flying away from the vehicle which is supposed to be an exploded airbag module. NHTSA also documented some other vehicle fire related airbag deployments. I think there are some infos about it on www.extrication.com.

I think you could find some informations about the accident you requested the video at washingtonpost.com.

Personally I always thought that firefighters was aware that airbags deploy during car fires and that there is also the potential to deploy during cable fires, for example in the dashboard. Firefighters should also be of all the other different dangers related to new vehicles (gas struts, fuel etc.). I think this problem will get even bigger with alernative powered vehicles on the market (hydrogen etc.).
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    Sample picture of what was going on...
    Now the scenario makes more sense... The video we watched didn't give much of an explanation as to what they were actually doing. It just said that their tool came into contact with the "main airbag control computer box thingy" and that the airbag deployed.

I didn't think it made to much sense to be using the ram in the centre console, but we all know each call is going to give us unique circumstances to work within.

Do you know if they trying to remove the driver's seat? or where they trying to lift the dash with the spreaders?
    Last edited by firefighter26; 02-11-2004 at 06:42 PM.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

Thanks for the pic, Bones

Forum Member

The Dayton video was incredible, that poor guy got thrown a good distance. Certainly an eye opener when I saw it many moons ago, and ya Bonsey GREAT pic !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

They were attempting to displace the drivers seat as the victim was in the rear drivers side seat. Apparently had their feet trapped somehow. The rescuer's did notice the air bag control box, they just did not know what it was and did not read the label on the box.

Also note, there are 2 FF's that are hit by airbags, one on the passenger side is thrown out of the car. 2nd guy is on driver side and walks toward front of car where he finally falls.

Thankfully, neither of the 2 FF's that were hit by the bags suffered serious injuries. The Dayton incident should become a standard example of why to keep up with your training.

I will take credit for posting the picture, but I can't remember where I got it from to give the proper credit. I simply use it as a training aide. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Forum Member

Bones:

Did you notice that there is an EMT coming into the scene from the right of camera? He's walking toward the car until the air bags deploy, then he turns around and walks away.

Also, count the number of firefighter in or near the car during the rescue and then how many of them run toward the downed firefighter.
    Steve Dragon

Forum Member

then he turns around and walks away
    Had to go change his shorts!

There are so many you can hardly see the vehicle that is being worked on. Not sure, but from what I remember seeing in a longer show about this, all the guys except 1 on the driver side rear left the victims to attend to the fallen FF's. I think the 1 that remained was holding stabilization.

MembersZone Subscriber

Would it be possible for you too email me the video. Currently doing a powerpoint for a new group learning extracation. It would be a great help. Also any one with pic or vids that may help feel free to send them. Thanks guys.
    bkholmes1@yahoo.com
    B Holmes

Forum Member

If the one firefighter left was holding stabilization he had one heck of a job to do since there was no other form of it being done.

I really appreciate the photo you posted. Hope you don't mind that I downloaded it so I can show it in the class after I run the video. It's always been hard to describe what it was they were attempting to do.
    Steve Dragon

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello!

As far as I know the photo is courtsey of Robert Badics of the Swedish Rescue Services Agency. I also use it in my powerpoint presentation about airbags/rops etc and gave the credts to him.

Ron Moore wrote an article about the Dayton Incident some years ago.
    Moore, Ron: "The Dayton Airbag Incident", in: Rescue Magazine 7-8/96, JEMS-Communication

Personally I do not know any other vehicle extrixation related airbag incident than the one in Dayton. I only know of some problems with seatbelt pretensioners during extrication (training) with no injuries and of some airbag explosions during vehicle fires.
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

FIGJAM

I only know of some problems with seatbelt pretensioners during extrication (training) with no injuries and of some airbag explosions during vehicle fires.
    Bingo!

That's me- I've cut through a pretensioner in an actual extrication.

It made a bang (reasonably loud- not a a gun shot type loud, though) and a loud hiss. (I'm assuming the propellant??)

In talking with a rescuer in the vehicle at the time who was assisting with in line immobilisatiion of the casualty, it was fairly loud in the car...
    Luke

Forum Member

JorgHeck, thank you for the information on the picture credits. I will add it to my notes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dayton

Hello, I was reading the thread and I am doing some training on airbags at our department. I saw the video of the airbag going off on TV recently and emailed the TV station but got no response. Viewing this thread I noticed that there is two videos spoken about where this happened, one of them involved a fire. If anyone knows where I could get a copy of these videos emailed to me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! tsweeney@new.rr.com

Thread Information