Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Paramedic Programs in Mass?

I'm looking at moving back to the mass area in Sept, and hope to have started on my paramedic studies in 2005.
    Does anyone recommend a paramedic program to look into, and if so why?

Really appreciate any help you can send my way!
    Amanda
    Lieutenant, EMT-II
    Central Mat-Su Fire Department,
    Wasilla AK

I'm looking at moving back to the mass area in Sept
    What are you freakin' nuts? Why move here? Granted I don't care for Mass so I am biased. I'm leaving so you can have my spot. Anyway:

Massachusetts OEMS website:

http://www.state.ma.us/dph/oems/

Massachusetts Paramedic programs:

http://www.state.ma.us/dph/oems/EMT/emtpara_course.htm

Personally, stay FAR away from Blackstone Valley EMS. I have heard from a few people that the state is looking HARD at their program for a variety of reasons.

Northeastern will get you your medic in 13 months, but it will cost you $15,000 plus. Yes, that is $15,000. Their program is no better than any other, it used to be, but it has lost A LOT of clout.

I graduated from Quinsigamond Community College and have an A.S. in Paramedic Technology from them as well. A good program still trying to iron out a few bugs but the instructors are top notch and very experienced overall. Total cost is about $3000 - $4000 for a 15 month program.

Another option is to take the Medic course in New Hampshire, get the National certification as a medic from them and challenge the state exam. Much easier in the long run. There are problems with the testing process and the fairness in evaluating examinees and difficulty getting test dates rapidly enough to test everyone.

New Hampshire OEMS:

http://www.state.nh.us/safety/ems/index.html

Make sure you research the cost of living. I realize Alaska is expensive but the cost of housing alone here in Mass. is through the roof. The average cost of a single family home in Mass. is WELL OVER $450,000 and a condo averages $160,000 to $250,000.

Starting pay for a medic in and around Boston is about $14 per hour for a 48 hour week, and about $16+. I have no idea why the discrepancy in pay but it exists. Most ambulances in the state are Fire Based so you may need to become a "buckethead" in many places to work 9-1-1 calls. Do some research.

These are my opinions and I freely admit that I am biased, but I will answer any questions you may wish to ask.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Hey,
    One absolutely fantastic program I'm familiar with is Northeastern University. The school has a great reputation, and the program has been in existence for a while now. Quinsigamond College also has a paramedic program, as I recall from researching schools for a west coast friend. She didn't actually go to school out here, nor was she looking for paramedic (another health career), but that's how I came to find it. Another option you might consider depending where you decide to take root is a hospital-based paramedic program in Nashua or Manchester, NH. The St. Joseph Hospital & Elliot Hospital both have programs that are tried & true. I can certainly recommend both because I went through one & know many from the other. You'd find Nashua fairly reasonable travel from many points in central MA. I can get you contact names & phone numbers for the NH classes at any time. Feel free to write kghemtp@hotmail.com Good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

I don't mind becoming a firefighter in order to get on a department. I'm already cross trained here in the department I run with, just not to the standards in Mass. We do things a little differently up here.

Anyone here of Safety Program Consultants? My husband worked for them 8 years ago, but I've heard a lot of things have changed since he left. How are they now?

Thanks for your help
    Amanda
    Lieutenant, EMT-II
    Central Mat-Su Fire Department,
    Wasilla AK

Quinsigamond Community College and Mass Bay community college are both well respected programs that are very reasonable to the wallet. Also depending where you live in Mass there are several OEMS Region courses that are good.

Welcome to Taxachusetts!
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Sharkie-- had NO idea NE was so pricy! Yeah, I know they have clout, much like the NH Technical Institute in Concord. "If you're not a Tech medic, don't bother" could be one of the mottos. $15,000??? Wow! Heck, I say $6,000 is a lot of money, and that's what the Elliot Hospital program is in Manchester, NH. Our Nashua program was $5,000, and of course that's without a degree (didn't think a second degree was necessary).

The fire service is a great choice if that's what you would like to do. I know nothing of MA in terms of retirement, but municipal services are my favorite and the one I advocate with retirement being one of the reasons. You'll lose nothing if you do become a firefighter besides medic, but you'll find your niche, your likes & dislikes in the biz.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

In regards to Safety Programs and a few other programs out there teh state appears to be getting ready to possibly implement a statndard of a 2 year degree for a medic. The reason that I say this is because the state requires that every program now have a memorendum of understanding with an institution of higher learning. There also appears to be a requirement of advanced degrees being mulled about at the OEMS meetings. I hear there is quite a bit of turmoil in the office and pending, if not already occurred, change in leadership.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I am currently enrolled in the Springfield College paramedic program. They offer a BS degree in Emeregency Medical Services Management, as well as just the medic program. The medic program is included in the degree program. SC is now rated #1 in the state for both passing the state/national test, as well as job placement post certification. Part of the program is a 1 week ride along with FDNY EMS during your field rotation. The didactic portion is 3 semesters long..starting in January, running through the summer, and ending in dec. Clinical starts in Jan of the following year.
    here is a link to the program
    The comments made by me are my opinions only, not of the Fire and EMS services I am affiliated with.

I have lost my mind..has anyone seen it? it's not worth much..but it's mine

Forum Member

Cape and Islands Emergency medical Teaching..or something like that. They run 2 programs, one at Cape Cod Community College and one in Whitman Mass. Its run by a Captain in Barnstable MA. I don't remember the cost, but its no where near the Northeastern price. Slots are also available to all Towns in Barnstable County to send members. I am not sure how those Towns determine whoo to send, and not that many have call departments anymore.(Although a few do).

Dave

Smile Northeastern = totally worth it

Hi there,

I second kghemtp's original comment. Northeastern's paramedic program has been around for a LONG time, and employers love their grads. Because it's a university, you get lots of college credit, and financial aid is available. But by far, the best part is the two week field internship in New York City. It's the most "hands on" experience you could possibly get.

Hope that helps!

Forum Member

Does anyone have any feedback from the Emergency Medical Teaching Services? I think there is a daytime session in Pembroke, starting soon, so I would love to hear more about it. Thanks
    Impossible is Nothing.

The very best paramedic program in Mass right now is the one at PRO EMS in Cambridge. Everyone who has attended seems to have great things to say about it but I believe they are very picky on who they let in.
    Their website is www.centerformedics.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPM001 View Post
    The very best paramedic program in Mass right now is the one at PRO EMS in Cambridge. Everyone who has attended seems to have great things to say about it but I believe they are very picky on who they let in.
    Their website is www.centerformedics.com

Yeah, I don't know about that. Center for Medics is basically an extension of Safety Programs, which has to be the biggest medic factory in the Northeast. The website is flashy and the equipment looks good, but what's the educational quality? How are the instructors? Are they all Safety grads? Something to think about.

Smile Center for MEDICS is light years ahead.

I graduated from their paramedic program. At some time in the past they had some kind of affiliation with Safety, but that is over, in fact they are probaly the polar opposite of Safety.
    I did a few months of a paramedic program at Northeastern ten years ago and dropped out to go to the academy. I couldn't believe the difference when I went to PRO's program. They are extremly professional and think of everything, right down to the finest detail of the program. They have a 100% pass rate in the paramedic program, NOBODY has ever failed the state exam.
    The instructors are second to none, mostly from PRO, Cambridge Fire and MedFlight, all very experienced with years under their belt. The chief instructor spent a decade working as a medic in South Africa, the students are given the option of going there with him for additional ride time. The guest lecture's (and there are a lot of them) are all from the MGH Emergency Medicine and Trauma Surgery residency.
    Also, they are the only medic program that I know of that GIVES the students full uniforms and requires that they are worn to every lecture and practical class.
    Please trust me, these guys are the real deal. You would be stupid not to go there.....if they will take you.

Forum Member

Ok, I'm willing to be wrong. Happy to be, actually. Mass needs another quality program to offset the floods coming out of Safety every 8 months.

That said, I'm looking at their own photo gallery and not seeing very many people wearing a uniform, especially in the cat lab. I'm not trying to be picky, I'm just sayin.

As far as your closing statement, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume for the moment that you aren't directing that at anyone specifically.

Forum Member

Northeastern's program has been suspended indefinitely....great
    Impossible is Nothing.

Thread Information