Early Adopter

Default When is a run a run?

Historically, my department's run numbers have been lower than they should have. Plenty of calls -- especially service runs -- were never logged simply because they weren't notable fires or medicals. We've changed for the better and are more accurately reporting the work we do. However, some shifts are taking it a bit far.

My general rule has always been that if the company has to do anything, it's a run. The notable exception to this is when people come into the station to have their BP checked. I've never logged that as a run. Other shifts, however, view things differently.

In your department, what makes a run a run? Are there things you do or services you provide that you don't log down as calls?

Any time the apparatus leaves the station to answer a radio, telephone, or walk-up request for service it's logged as a run. Any time personnel have to perform firefighting duties or emergency medical treatment at the station it's logged as a run. We don't log BP checks as runs.

MembersZone Subscriber

we log a run when we leave the station with lights and sirens going, anything else i don't think we log. we don't get all that many calls/yr, like recently we had someone call one of the firefighters and ask if we could do a CO test, the rescue truck left with 2 personnel but i don't think it was recorded. but if they would have called the emergency phone number or 911, it would have been recorded.

Forum Member

I think a run is any type of dispatched call that your 911 Center gets and your dispatch center tones out the FD for... Doesn't matter if it is a call for a dog stuck in a hole or cat in a tree it is still a good intent call to help the community and the person that called in.... We make a calls for service sheet for every time our dispatch center tones us out

John

Anytime my dept is toned out we count that as a run. We do not count details or multiple requests for service (example if we have heavy rains w/ basement flooding that is more than an isolated incident we count that as one incident and only log one run, even if it lasts 3 days and we service over 100 homes).
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

IMHO, it's in your best interests to log any type of service activity as a run. For example, my dept. has a full-time FF on duty Mon-Fri and a part-timer nights and weekends. It's the responsibility of that member on duty to handle, for example, CO calls that don't require the immediate response of the whole dept. This is still logged as a run.

First of all, it documents your response, emergency or not. This could potentially bite you if there should ever be any legal action regarding the "call" you were on.

Secondly, it is an accurate way of displaying your activity. You know you were busier than the 100 "logged calls" you have, but does your local government, funding agency, or the public that you serve. They may not be 300 structure fires but 300 runs looks better than 150 runs when you need to ask for more funding, higher staffing levels and so on.

To do anything less than documenting all your activity is selling yourself short. Think about it.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

MembersZone Subscriber

Anytime we go out the door; fire call, medical, service, haz-mat, it's considered a call. If we have someone come to the station for a fire or ems call, it's a run. I've never had someone come to just get their BP checked. If it's for something other than to just have it checked I would consider it a call. If it is something worth writing a report for, its a call.

Forum Member

Smile

A run is a run is a run.

Any time you go out the door on the apparatus to any type of call, where it is fire, EMS, to check a smell or the see why the bell is ringing, it is listed as a run. If a citizn comes to the station with their call on fire or with chest pains it is a run.

We don't care how they come in either by the vocal system, telephone walk in or drive up, we are going to have an incident number assigned and call it what it is. A RUN

Stay Safe and Well out there

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well...........................

Try this for defining a "Run": "Any unscheduled trip from the station, at the request of a Customer, to investigate or mitigate any situation that may constitute an Emergency in the eye of the Customer." That's one example of several that I've Heard, and it seems to cover all bases. Scheduled things such as inspections, Alarm tests, School fire drills, etc. are planned ahead of time, thus they are not "emergencies". A "Walk in Customer" with an unplanned medical event such as a laceration or chest pain is an emergency since it is A: unplanned, and B: could lead to life threatening consequences. A storm that floods basements all over town is not an emergency. Each flooded basement becomes an emergency when a customer calls for help. Each basement and it's owner/occupant is separate and distinct from the others, constituting a separate "Run" for each. That's how it works here. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Some Departments up in this area log everything as a run. it can actually get a little obserd. My Dept. we log all emergency runs. auto and house lock outs, medicals and thats about it. but some towns around here log all permit inspections as runs if someone wants a burning permit it gets a run number. so it can get crazy.

Forum Member

Any time our tone drops.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Every call is a run. Not every run is a worker.

Hence: Runs and Workers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Runs

Obviously, any time our E-911 Center dispatches us for a call, we get a run number for it. Cases such as medical walk in's to the station, and self-dispatches where someone calls the station and wants us to "check something out", we call fire dispatch via phone and have them generate a run number for us.

In our County, even when our Chiefs get dispatched for a "Chiefs Investigation", the department is given a run #.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Truckie

Anytime we get a run number from dispatch it counts. Whether we are dispatched by them or call for a number on a walk-up. If we self dispatch or come upon a potential call, again we contact dispatch to get a number. At times we will get toned, but cancelled prior to going in service, it gets logged in the station log, but not on the computer, hence it don't count in the big picture.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Anytime our county pulls a complaint and hits our tones for Fire or EMS it's a run
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

IACOJ BOD

"Any unscheduled trip from the station, at the request of a Customer, to investigate or mitigate any situation that may constitute an Emergency in the eye of the Customer."
    Like when the siren goes eh.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Not Exactly................................

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi

No, not really, Our siren doesn't go "eh", it goes "Wooooooooooo"

In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Originally posted by RedBank24
    Any time the apparatus leaves the station to answer a radio, telephone, or walk-up request for service it's logged as a run. Any time personnel have to perform firefighting duties or emergency medical treatment at the station it's logged as a run. We don't log BP checks as runs.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

Forum Member

Red face

hotboy

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by RedBank24
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUH? I must have lost something in hotboy's statement.

Of course the fire department will respond to what ever calls that is given to them. Yes, firefighters should be doing blood pressure checks if you are an EMS first responder, EMT and up. There is no reason why the public can't get free blood pressure checks at the station. If the pressure is high and after you have checked it several times to be sure, then depending on the pressure reading, the citizen should be told to go to their doctor or if necessary be sent or taken to the nesrest emergency room.

After all, firefighters are hired and stationed in the houses to provide a service. This is a little part of the service we provide.

Stay Safe & Well out there.

Forum Member

Anytime we are dispatched it is a run. Senior Day BP's dont count, people wanting their BP checked doesnt count. BS Fire alarms , medical alarms, CO checks etc along with all the other stuff = a run number for us.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

If we get a phone call or radio call for service its a run and we fill out a IC report just to cover our rears.
    Walk up service aint to popular..........considering were on a federal site behind 2 fences and in a bunker and you would probally get arrested 20 paces in.........
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Question Uhhhhhhhhh...............................

Those of you who aren't keen on BP checks - In my experience as an EMT-B, in Maryland, a BP check is a part of a standard patient evaluation protocol and must be documented. Food for thought. (if it's a "run" or not is up to you.)
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Ummmmmmmmmmmm Harv, if someone stops at the staion to just have their BP checked there is no actual assesment unless they have a chief complaint ,or it is WAY out of normal limits.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Ummmmmmmmmmmm Harv, if someone stops at the staion to just have their BP checked there is no actual assesment unless they have a chief complaint ,or it is WAY out of normal limits.
    That's how we see it too. We're an unmanned vollie station but sometimes folks stop by city hall wanting a BP check. The dispatcher just calls one of us that lives close to the station and it isn't logged as a run. Now, if we get there and something trips a red flag then it is full assessment time and things start getting written on PCRs.

Otherwise, if we're dispatched, respond as a result of a walk-up report, or happen upon the event ourselves, it is logged as a run.

Forum Member

Default Re: Not Exactly................................

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi

Originally posted by hwoods

No, not really, Our siren doesn't go "eh", it goes "Wooooooooooo"

LMFAO!!!!
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Thread Information