Thread: Irons???????

Default Irons???????

How do you marry the axe and the halligan together? Do you use straps, or do you just slide them in place? Also is there a certain placement needed to keep them together....
    Ain't Skeerd
    Half Leather Forever....

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, tough question.

I'd say place the fork over the axe blade and place the axe handle inside the adz and the claw/hook. Don't use straps, you'll lose them at the first job and don't carry them on your shoulder. Hold the handles of both in your hand squeezing them together with the axe head up and the axe handle forward under the thumb.

Anything else?
    Last edited by E229Lt; 02-10-2004 at 07:49 AM.

Forum Member

Default Re: Irons???????

Originally posted by MalteseMonster
    How do you marry the axe and the halligan together? Do you use straps, or do you just slide them in place? Also is there a certain placement needed to keep them together....
    I am the commander/justice of the "piece"... I pronounce them axe and wife, then send them off to work with a trusted Jake or two!

On a serious note...what Artie aka E229LT said!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Wow I didn't no it was that easy, Wasn't sure if there was any cutting or grinding to do or what....Once again I leave the forums a wiser man..
    Ain't Skeerd
    Half Leather Forever....

Forum Member

Irons are the most amazing tools ever!!!!! I prefer to be the irons man whenever possible.
    On the note of the straps that E229 brought up; they suck. My company has the straps the just go around the handles of each tool. I hate them, all they do is get in the way. As soon as I grab the irons I take the retarted strap off, the irons hold themselves together anyway. Not to mention I take them apart as soon as I grab them anyways.
    Anyways... E229 summed up the whole shabang!!

IACOJ BOD

2nd option

Get bigger hands.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone heard of carrying a 8lbs sledgehammer instead of a flathead ax? I think that kind of limits you and defeats the purpose.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

we got the flathead axe thing ................but I will admit with the right goon .........er truckie swingin it could get the job done.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone heard of carrying a 8lbs sledgehammer
    Many companies take the Maul and Halligan into occupancies with tough doors. Many have also welded a strip of steel to the top of the maul to accomodate the Adz of the Halligan for easy carrying.

MembersZone Subscriber

IMHO the sledge is one of the most under-utilized tools (around here at least), I cant tell you how many times I have watched guys beat away with a flathead when one swing of the 8 pound would have taken the door and probably brought most the frame with it.

Forum Member

Originally posted by pullthehook150
    IMHO the sledge is one of the most under-utilized tools (around here at least), I cant tell you how many times I have watched guys beat away with a flathead when one swing of the 8 pound would have taken the door and probably brought most the frame with it.
    I have to disagree with that. Not that the sledge is a bad tool. However is it first of all a fairly heavy and clumsy tool compared to an ax to carry IMO. But by crushing a door in like that you are forgetting one major component of forcible entry. DOOR CONTROL! If your bashing a door in with a slege you most likely won't be able to control that door.
    Most of the time its the skill of the man forcing the door, not the size and brut force. Brains over braun!!! IMHO

THE sledege does however have it's place on the fireground!! EI: masonry wall or something like that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of the time its the skill of the man forcing the door, not the size and brut force
    Ah yes, FE can be Finesse Entry

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Door control was never my strong point...

Forum Member

Smile

Originally posted by pullthehook150
    Door control was never my strong point...
    MONGO want to break!!!!! lol understandable

MembersZone Subscriber

That about sums it up firefiftyfive, not something im proud of but put a destructive tool in my hand and im more than happy to use it

Originally posted by firefiftyfive

MONGO want to break!!!!! lol understandable
    Mongo like candy....

I could understand using a monster maul more to break a tough lock or soemthing... but in my humble opinion id rather have an ax and a k/r tool...

MembersZone Subscriber

I prefer to replace the flat head axe with the 8 lbs maul. Yes its a couple pounds heavier but when you really need some force behind your blows it is irreplaceable. Try breaching a brick or block wall with a halligan and flat head and then try it again with the maul and halligan. The flat head has its place, mainly on the roof after all the power tools have failed, at least in my opinion. If the weight is the issue my God its just an extra 4 lbs.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Just wanted to add my 2 cents, #1 if you are teaming a 4lb. flat head axe with the haligan, you can stop now, you will never generate enough force to accomplish your goal of opening a locked door. The maul has its place, but if you use a 8lb. flat head you can do the job with much improved results. #2 if you are the forcible entry person or team, you must always remember that you need to control the door, if there is fire on the other side and the door has been demolished, you have no effective protection and you are exposing more of the structure to the destructiveness of the fire.
    #3 I will agree that the flat head works well with roof openings, an 8lb flat head works wonders on roof decking.#4 can you use a maul as a wedge? Just my thoughts.

Skip

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to agree with 12TruckIrons and Skippy361 a 6 lb or lighter axe is worthless. A 8lb flat head is the minimum you should carry. I like the 8lb maul, it seems to go through newer residential roofs much better. For commercial a 10lb sledge is also nice.
    Most important is make sure you have a good Halligan. Iowa American or the Pro Bar are teh best. No pins or fat wedges.
    For carrying the maul or sledge with the halligan I have used a section of 3" hose, about 2' long. It is big enough to carry them securly and doesnt get lost as much as the straps. You may not see it again till overhaul but it usually shows up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree witht he 8lbs maul....the only one we had was on the irons on our ladder. So the guys from my company chipped in so we could buy one for our engine.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Side question: Why are they called "Irons"?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information