Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default PC has Cow Power

Hey Mike
    Sounds like you guys had better get brushed up on your methane gas fire fighting skills. What do you do when a very large pile of cow crap goes WOOOF!

Illinois e-News Summaries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    02/08/04 - GOVERNOR ANNOUNCES FIRST GRANTS IN CREATIVE COW POWER PROGRAM
    $500,000 for two Northern Stateline region farms who will turn waste into electricity
    SPRINGFIELD - Governor Rod Blagojevich today announced the first Cow Power grants to a pair of Stephenson County farms that will help both the environment and the economy by turning animal waste into electricity. A $225,000 Opportunity Returns grant is going to Scheidairy Farms in Freeport, while Hunter Haven Farms in Pearl City will receive a grant of almost $225,000. The funds will be used to install state-of-the-art anaerobic digestion systems at both facilities. The Governor unveiled the Cow Power program last October as part of his Opportunity Returns plan for the Northern Stateline region to spur economic growth.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber pcfdcap1's Avatar
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Default Got a Light?

It should be interesting. I know what methane does when I light my own-ruined a pair of wind pants that way. We got to be famous for something besides finding pearls in a clam shell in a creek
    The operation will be just south of our district border. I hear we're going to have some training with Lanark and Shannon when the time comes.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

After reading the topic, I just couldn't resist seeing what the heck Les was talking about. Seems like the digesters would have to be pretty big to make them pay off. It should work, though.
    Maybe if the governor can give people money to make light bulbs burn on manure, he'll let go of the money to build our fire station.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

And I can't help but think of the story of the cow who pooped on the little bird to keep it warm.
    There's a lesson there. You just have to sort through the .....
    Jack; maybe if your station was constructed out of cow manure?
    Just a thought.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Hey, i've seen these work. Helped build one for the hog boys. Run boiler pipe through a small lagon,about 100000 gal,cover and heet and wha-la methane. Takes a large boiler 400000-500000 btu's. The thing that ****es me off is Blo-jo pulled our grant, to put a generator in our station, the only place in town that would have anytime power, to fund this.......cow s#$% Buy the way the hog boys paid for this out of their pocket.

Forum Member

Maybe you guys need to ask for a methane powered backup generator.
    I am sure the townfolks won't object to the large pile of crap behind the fire house if its for a good cause.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Dad, don't be getting any ideas from these guys...if our new station in DuBois is made out of cow manure, I'm moving to Nashville right now!! and if it's going to be across the street from your house as planned, mom will probably ask if she can rent out the spare room at me and Chris's house!
    That is pretty cool though that they can make electricity out of poop....I wonder if they can do that for houses...our electric bill would probably get cut in half hehehehe
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Trainer, maybe that's where our money went, too. Without a new station, we won't need any electricity or gas. We also won't have any place to put a fire truck. He released a bunch of money a week ago but we weren't in the list. I WANT THE CASH!
    No, Laurs, not in half. Not since you're not around there much anymore.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

HAHA very funny....I was referring to my and Chris's electric bill, not yours! your electric bill probably got cut in half anyway after both kids moved out...
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Thread Information