MembersZone Subscriber

Default Does this guy live in a Cave???

FIREFIGHTING: A CANCER RISK?

Copyright 2004 The Hartford Courant Company
    Hartford Courant (Connecticut)
    February 9, 2004 Monday, 6/7 SPORTS FINAL

"Smoke eater," slang for a dedicated firefighter, fit Eric Lundquist Jr. perfectly.
    For almost all of his 27 years on the Bristol Fire Department, Lundquist was the guy others wanted on their crew -- a big, brave, burly man whose savvy and strength gave colleagues a sense of protection, no matter what the situation.

"The guys liked working with Eric because they felt safe with him," fire union President Thomas Bentivengo said of his friend. "They figured he was strong enough so he could get them out of trouble if something happened."
    Lundquist always knew his job was dangerous, Bentivengo said. But it may have been deadly in a way Lundquist realized too late.

In 2000, Lundquist was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a bone marrow cancer that affects the blood. The illness forced him to retire in October 2001. He died on April 26, 2003.

But before he died, he filed a precedent-setting complaint that is still pending before the state workers' compensation commission.

Lundquist claimed the toxin- and carcinogen-laced smoke he breathed in time after time at fire scenes, and the diesel fumes from firetrucks, made him sick. He sought compensation from the city, filing a claim shortly after he was diagnosed in 2000; his widow, Brenda Lundquist, is pursuing it.

The portable air packs firefighters now have protect them from those fumes, but when Lundquist started with the fire department in the 1970s, and for much of his career, the packs were used much less frequently, said Lawrence Connelli, Lundquist's lawyer.

Workers' compensation claims from firefighters are routine, said John Mastropietro, chairman of the state commission. But the claim of a work-induced cancer is singular, he said.

"I have never seen something like this," Mastropietro said. "If this is not unique, then we certainly have not seen one like this in a long time. This would be a case of first impression, where no other like it has been reported. It would break new ground."

----------------------------------------------------------
    Mr. Mastropietro, wake up and smell the diesel!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Re: Does this guy live in a Cave???

Originally posted by E229Lt
    FIREFIGHTING: A CANCER RISK?

Workers' compensation claims from firefighters are routine, said John Mastropietro, chairman of the state commission. But the claim of a work-induced cancer is singular, he said.

"I have never seen something like this," Mastropietro said. "If this is not unique, then we certainly have not seen one like this in a long time. This would be a case of first impression, where no other like it has been reported. It would break new ground."

----------------------------------------------------------
    Mr. Mastropietro, wake up and smell the diesel!!!!!!!!!
    WHO IS THIS MASKED MAN?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I think the title is approiate.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does this guy live in a Cave?

I doubt it. Cavemen knew breathing smoke from the fire was bad for them.

He is either a very brave liar (brave because just a little research will blow his statement to the reporter out of the water), or a workman's comp worker completely out of touch in his supposed area of expertise.

Forum Member

or possibly, CT has actually never had a case reported.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Or Connecticut State Government has simply spun out of control.

Governor, whose daddy & granddaddy made their political careers from cleaning up corruption, is under federal investigation and has the legislature looking into impeachment.

Major state contractors are bowing out of contracts rather than provide a list of gifts given to state officials over the last 10 years.

Department of Children & Families under oversight of the federal courts since we keep having kids murdered after reports where filed and DCF closed the cases. Hell, one of the kids was probably dead when DCF closed the case saying he was in no danger.

Meanwhile, the state budget has ballooned well above inflation rates for 15+ years.

10 years ago we had a State Budget of $7.8 Billion. 10 years and 73% growth later, we have a $13.5 Billion dollar state budget in a state with essentially no population growth. In real terms, we're running about 2-3% above a base level of 2.5-3% inflation.

Oh, and our Legislature was a joke last year, and House Speaker Mora Lyons couldn't lead a committee out of a wet paper bag. If she had a committee filled with Edward Scissorhands clones. At least some elder statesmen are clearly working in the background to make sure the impeachment process doesn't become a laughing joke, too. Lyons looked downright competent when she held the news conference announcing the committee, the first time I've ever seen her acting competently either on TV or in the press.

--------------
    This season's legislative bills have just started to be filed. So far not many fire service related, and the big one so far doesn't look too bad although it still needs work.

SB 50 would place a number of communicable diseases as being "refutably presumptive" under Worker's Compensation. As I understand it, the refutable places a high burden-of-proof on the employer to show you were positively exposed outside of the workplace. Currently they're non-presumptive so the Employee would have to prove they where exposed at work. This covers both paid & volunteers -- under CT law the municipal governments are required to provide workers comp to vollies.

It also extends, or attempts to extend, the worker's comp coverage for paid police & fire to include "responses to emergencies outside of the individual's regular hours of employment."

That's a good goal, although I think it needs to be modified to explicitly state that if they are responding as a member of another public safety agency, then it's that agency's and not their full-time employer's workers comp. Otherwise I can see a legal eagle at an insurer using this as a way to tie up a claim and/or employers tightening restrictions on Police volunteering as firefighters, etc.

http://www.cga.state.ct.us/2004/tob/...050-R00-SB.htm
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Does this guy live in a Cave???

Originally posted by E229Lt

Copyright 2004 The Hartford Courant Company
    Hartford Courant (Connecticut)
    ..... the toxin- and carcinogen-laced smoke he breathed in time after time at fire scenes, and the diesel fumes from firetrucks, made him sick.
    Geez...I better phone the news desk....we've got breaking news. As far as somebody living in a cave...it's more like "on another planet!?"
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Wink ? live in a cave, or another planet, maybe

Maybe thay can reprogram the 2 Mars rovers to start looking for him, in a cave on Mars maybe, would have to be there to be THAT out of touch@$^*(*^%$^*(()@!~!! putz!
    (should now be CharlieRFD,past,Pres.), but I've had this screen name for so long, I'm keeping it..., besides I'm Deputy Chief now.
    BE SAFE OUT THERE
    NEVER FORGET
    GOD BLESS THE 343 AND 60, MAY GOD GRANT HIS PEACE TO THEIR LOVED ONES.
    IACOJ
    F.O.O.P.

dazed and confused

Default Troglodyte

trog·lo·dyte ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trgl-dt)
    n.

A cave dweller.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Caves are cool. They let you paint on the walls and you have an open fire every night.

Thread Information