Question What would u do?

We are a rural vfd...we have a med bag, aed, and oxygen that sits at the station for sum1 to grab on their way to med calls(First Responders). My question is that should we take that stuff w/ us on fires in case something happened and we could treat him/her until medics arrived?

Forum Member

taht er be a goud ideaer ...........en kase sumthen happend
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

just a question. do you mean us as the dept. or us as the Explorers??

if you are talking about explorers then you would have to pass it by chief, or station officer.

if you are talking about the dept. the yes you should. our dept. contains about 30 members. we have 13 appuratsus eight of them have med boxes on them. all of our ff have to be at least an mfr, but most of them are emt's some are paramedics. but i would bring it on ALL CALLS. you never know how far away your ambulance is going to be.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

i mean"us" as the whole dept... depending on where the fire is ( in city limits or not) usually have 2-3 trucks running...i was just thinking b/c they havent been carrying it on fire calls..just med calls...thanks i'll mention it next meeting

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    taht er be a goud ideaer ...........en kase sumthen happend
    Be nice now Weruj1... even though that question sounds ummm, ummm not good. maybe!!lol

Of course you should take that med bag with you. And it should not matter whether it is for your members or a civilian. And why is it not always on the rig? If it is a "tool" that is always used it should be on the rig, you should not have to go get it before the run!!

well one reason its not on there is b/c we're rural and dont take a truck out for every med call...we dont tranpsort, just stabilize..basiclally... the ff comes by and gets it and goes to the scene until the ambulance gets there...is there ne thing wrong with that?

Forum Member

So you don't take any of your emergency units to the scene. Someone comes by in their personal vehicle and grabs the med bag and then goes to the scene??????????

#1 tones drop--aed call
    #2 a ff/police officer comes and gets the stuff
    #3 they go to the scene (usually 4-8 ppl)
    #4 they arrive (most of the time its a false alarm)
    #5 if not a false alarm they stabilize until the ambulance arrives
    #6 after the patient has been picked up, they leave

By the way-- we're all volunteer, in a rural area...we dont roll a fire truck to a med call..its always been like that

Forum Member

#2 a ff/police officer comes and gets the stuff
    Do you have a police officer respond on every call? If so, why not give them the equipment so it will be at every call and not waste the time of someone going to the station, unlocking the door, getting the stuff, loading it into their car, then going.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

it depends on if the police officer is on a call already, etc... usually one ff will get the stuff an the rest will already be there and see what they have, if anything...

Forum Member

All Our Medical Gear Is On Our 2 Rescues...So Its On Every Call They Roll Too

We dont have very many calls..we dont have rescues..we have fire trucks used for fire fighting..i cant help we're volunteer..we do what we have to do with what we have...

Forum Member

Originally posted by Bones42
    Do you have a police officer respond on every call? If so, why not give them the equipment so it will be at every call and not waste the time of someone going to the station, unlocking the door, getting the stuff, loading it into their car, then going.
    EXACTLY.. And if the cop is not the first one to respond then that equipment should be on your rigs. IMHO

Being volunteer and being rural should have nothing to do with whether or not your medical equipment is on the rig. My dept. does not even do medical runs but we have a bunch of guys that are EMT's or CFR-D so we have a fully supplied medical bag on our rig for our selves.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a question.....what is the thought process behind NOT rolling a truck to an EMERGENCY call???? If you are going to respond to medical calls why not???? What happens if you get a fire....everyone rush back to the station for trucks?? How about MVA's you guys only do fire stuff on those??? If you guys are going to repsond to medical calls...why not roll a truck? That is what they are their for.

My hometown was small w/a small Rural VFD. They had medical equipment and it was on the first out truck....so when a call came inthey rolled that engine. We had a Volunteer EMS and they rolled too. I just don't understand the thought process behind this.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

In retrospect, my original post wasnt in the best taste, but I certainly feel this is common sense. After letting that sink in, at least this person asked for opinions and hopefully he is trying to make his departments situation better. Keep it up people.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

All our apparatus have fully stocked jump bags,backboards and other medical gear....Also i know myself and numerous other officers who respond in POV to incidents have fully stocked trauma bags,o2, i have my own KED and some of the paramedics in our dept have their own LifePak12 in their vehicle als so...we have plenty of medical gear no matter what we have....

Stephen
    Capt/MFR
    KVFD

Forum Member

at least this person asked for opinions and hopefully he is trying to make his departments situation better. Keep it up people.
    Right on with that Weruj1... being progressive not regressive!! thats what its all about

EXACTLY weruj1 and Firefiftyfive... we do have an "advanced first aid kit" on the truck...but they dont carry the o2, aed, and the other med bag... i was just wanting opinions to help the dept., not to be criticizing it

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

To answer the question:
    should we take that stuff w/ us on fires in case something happened and we could treat him/her until medics arrived?
    Absolutely!

Since you asked the question, I bet you already know it would be a good idea. If you need a ammo to lobby for a change, just look at the LODD statistics. The number one cause every year is heart attack. The AED would be useless at the station.

Oh and Weruj1, I took your post as a joke and a pretty cute one too. I was about to ask where you learned to speak explorer.

Forum Member

Oh and Weruj1, I took your post as a joke and a pretty cute one too. I was about to ask where you learned to speak explorer.
    ...........well they should be taken the stuff with them on EVERY call .................ROFLMAO !!!!!!! he said speak "explorer" ROFLMAO !!!
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Hey, Weruj1 could become the official explorer translator for the IACOJ.

Forum Member

You know, English is a mighty good language, you should try it sometimes. Swahili is so difficult to translate without my Swahili to English dictionary, need to find that again.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

ffexp...............you know I doubt that that position has been taken ......I should definetly email Gonzo !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Default Second..

ffexp...............you know I doubt that that position has been taken ......I should definetly email Gonzo !
    Hey...I'll second your nomination!!!

BTW..do you need a 'Deputy Translator'?
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Forum Member

oh yes !!!! shall prepare correspondance to the God's !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information