Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why?

Forum Member

Default Why?

Did any of you look at this article and pictures today on the main home page??
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...4&sectionId=45

This article just bugged the heck outa me. Now I know some guys have a problem with monday morning quarterbacking other depts. And I'm not the biggest fan of it either but this just bothered me and we can always learn something from it. According to the article the firefighters did not make any real attempt to knock down the fire. They had time to pull a car out of the garage, but they did not put any real amounts of water on this fire. Apparantly they had trouble getting water and the roads were rough but is that any reason to stand there and watch the home burn? I mean you must have at least a few thousand gallons of water on your rigs to try and atleast darken down the fire a little until you can get a water supply set up. From looking at the first pictures it looks like there is some of that house left to save, therefore saving some of the belongings and possible valueables of that family. In one of the pics the FFs are just standing there and I know a pic only shows one instant but geez. I believe some attempt needs to be made to save the belongings in someone's home. Even if the attempts fail you can say you tried and leave with some pride. I also put this post here because I was reading a thread in another place about fire fighter safety. Some feel that safety is going way over board. I think this incident may be an example of that. Only because they don't make any sort of attack which is dangerous whether it is defensive or offensive, they just write the house off. What do you guys think??? Am I way of base on this one? If I am wrong I'm sure you'll let me know!!!

from the looks of that fire coupled with what we already "know" from the article ............you would be "way off base" .......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default I Dunno

Judging by the looks of the residence..i'd be doin the same thing....surround and drown...i mean yes thats only 3 or 4 pics of a scene....but i mean looking right now at those pics that does not look to me like a stable house suitable for interior firefighting..some may argue with me on that but to me i'd have kept my crew out of there also...you cant win em all and this is a perfect example of it..If this was the way the fire was when first arriving apparatus got there....It was a good move on the IC's part to keep em out..And judging by the amount of fire in the pics..Not a whole heck of a lot would have been salvageable to begin with.....The first pic shows it clearly enough where 3/4's of the house is involved in Heavy Fire......My opinion...Good Call Fire Command....Sit Outside and Put the water to it....Now as for just standing around watching....why not.....the house is finished as it is...No exposures.....not much you can do to stop it now anyways..

Stephen
    Capt/MFR
    KVFD

MembersZone Subscriber

You are wide to the left, pal.

Risk alot to gain alot
    Risk a little to gain a little.

They did the right thing. In fact, I give the IC a ton of credit for recognizing their limitations and not commiting to something that could get guys killed.

Forum Member

alright I was way off base!!!!! Sorry

Thats why I'm just a firefighter and not an officer.............

MembersZone Subscriber CrossBro1's Avatar

I have to agree with the others. A defensive attack was the best way to go. With the volume of fire, and limited water supply they really had no other choice. No need to risk firefighters lives for something that can't be saved.

Forum Member

Hey man..don't just say oh i'm a firefighter..you may be the one who has to do the size-up someday my friend..it's happened plenty of times...no officers on trucks..so Senior FF's or even non-senior FF's have been OIC on a truck....so don't just think oh i'm just a lowly lil firefighter...cause you never know

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy I Had One Too........................

Believe me, the toughest decision I've ever made was to write off a person's property, but that's clearly easier than writing off a Firefighter. Every Chief will have tough calls to make, under pressure, with emotions clouding the issue. Making the right call is not easy, nor is it popular in many cases, but it has to be done. I never, ever, want to go home with any less than I came with, nor do any of you. There is a time when the potential reward simply will not warrant the risk. The home shown in the photos here appears to me to be one of those times. The accompanying text indicates that everything that could hinder a safe offensive attack was in place, ready to get someone hurt. Poor weather, Delayed notification, Poor/No water supply, Access problems, and probably more that didn't get in the paper. Any one of these factors, taken alone, is cause for concern, but all of them is simply too great a Risk for any Chief. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

The proper decision was made...except for the car, what was left to save?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

They did the right thing. In fact, I give the IC a ton of credit for recognizing their limitations and not commiting to something that could get guys killed.
    Amen!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I have a very aggressive attitude towards interior attacks...however based on the water supply, staffing, and what appears to be almost total involvement....

I would have done the very same thing.

Good move bro's.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information