Forum Member

Default Officer Response In POV

Hey Everyone

I've been in some heated convo.'s about Chiefs or in my depts case Capt's,Lt's,Safetys or Constables(Fire/Police), responding to scene in POV. Now many say well whats the point in having officers respond to the scene because they cannot do anything..Me I think otherwise..The way our dept is run is all Chiefs,Asst.Chiefs,Capts,Lt's,Safety Officers and Constables have portable radios.. When we receive an alarm whether it be Alarm Sounding to Structure Fire our usual response is Chief,1st or 2nd D/C and one or two more of the above mentioned officers, respond in POV..On MVA's Fire Constable Always respond to scene.. Now rule being you cannot pass a scene or if you are very close do not respond to the station and go to the scene..I feel this is a good system because this way that officer can arrive,give size-up on the scene,call for mutual aid to get it on the road right away, or even reduce numbers of apparatus responding...This system has always worked well for us..Just wanna know what you all think of this "Officer Response In POV"..Good or Bad??

Stephen
    Capt/MFR
    KVFD

In response to personnel responding to scenes in POV's, I live right on the edge of our covered area. I'm usually to far out to make it to the station to respond with our equipment so 99% of the time I respond direct to the scene. If they had to wait for me to get to the station they'd be backin' up. I also carry my turnouts in my vehicle and pickup SCBA if necessary when I arrive on scene.

This system has always worked well for us..

BINGO!!!! Anything else??????
    Ain't Skeerd
    Half Leather Forever....

Forum Member

As long as the people responding to the scene are gonna be of assistance, what is the problem. I do think though that you have to be careful about to many private vehicles cluttering up the scene. As stated, if it works well for you keep it going.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by MalteseMonster

BINGO!!!! Anything else??????
    I agree, as long as it has worked for you guys, you might as well keep it. For us only Lt.'s and up as well as Fire Police can respond to the scene in their POV. For the rest of us, we can only go in our car if the call is right next to us and even then we have to park at least a block away. This works for us since we have 3 stations and around 10 apparatus so everyone should be able to make an apparatus. But I have talked to one ff whose department, because of only having one station in the middle of downtown with little parking, wants everyone except for a few designated apparatus drivers to drive to the scene. I would think that would be a mess, but it works foor them and if it works, why change it?

MembersZone Subscriber

Discipline is the key. No matter what is going on at the scene the officer must check in with command and get in whatever accountability system you have. Tag in, make up a passport just make sure their is no freelancing. Also no officer in a pov is more important then apparatus when it comes to staging of apparatus.
    If the officers can follow that then it isn't a problem.

Forum Member

If it works, no one is getting hurt, and it isn't a flying circus, then more power to you. We operate pretty much the same way and it hasn't caused us any problems to-date.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that size-up by any Officer is a critical aspect of determing the outcome of any incident. We operate with four chief's vehicle's with radio's, scba, etc. Our LT's and Captain have mobile radio's in their personal vehicles along with their own portable, scba, irons, and medical bag for ems calls. All of our Officers respond to the scene. We do on occassion have members ride on apparatus but a lot of them dont live close to the firehouse and to delay a piece of apparatus responding just isnt feasible for us. We always instill to our members the importance of on scene parking and never parking close to an incident that doesnt allow apparatus access. And like many departments, we all park on the same side of the street. Our members are pretty good with this...

Forum Member

All of our officers have portable radios and can stop at any scene within proximity of their residence or as long as it is on the way to the station. The only ones who can go city wide are the 2 Chiefs, and can respond from anywhere into town, using common sense of course.
    Last edited by Weruj1; 02-11-2004 at 11:16 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    All of our officers have portable rasios and can stop at any scene within proximity of their residence or as long as it is on the way to the station. The only ones who can go city wide are the 2 Chiefs, and can respond from anywhere into town, using common sense of course.
    What exactly is a rasio????????

As was said earlier, I don't have a problem if they are actually doing something. If they are just going and standing around with the radio in their hand and their thumb somewhere else, they can just go to the station and do it there.

(Or as NFD159 says, out a camera in their hands!! )

Thread Information