Default WWYD: Raised Ranch Room & Contents exposing eves.

You pull up on this house, no residents greet you.

I don't know much about the photo -- found it via google images. Taken by a guy named Charlie in North Amityville, NY. Picture linked at http://go.firebuff.com/pics1/fire_sc/
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

First, not a good scene, no one out huh ? get in a search get attack to the D/A corner and get a knock on 'er. Next get some people and lines to divison II to pull ceilings, as it look like it is finding the attic. Preapre to back out of cannot get it stopped in the attic.TIC would be very handy here also.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I didn't say anyone inside...Just said no one met you
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Is it Division 2 or Division 1? This is a common split level in my area. When you go in the front door, you are at a landing. Half a flight up is the main floor. Half a flight down is a basement/lower level which usually consists of a family room, small bath, laundry room on one side and a garage on the other side.

Forum Member

I gotcha Matt ...........I am assuming it is occupied.'77 my bad .,...that would be division one.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

Forum Member

Someone on these forums told me theres only two sides to a residential fire: Inside and outside. What is the downstairs area basement 1 or subdivision 1? If someone told you people were trapped on the first floor, what does that mean?

Forum Member

This was beaten to death last year, my personal feeling is when you make the landing at the front door, up the stairs = division I. Down the stairs from the landing = subdivision.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

The big question... Is it division 1 or is it division 2. To me, if you go upstairs you are going to divsion 2. Thanks for the key in Mr. Socom....

Pull an 1 3/4 line and go upstairs to division 2 and do an aggresive interior attack. The fire appears to be in a bedroom with 2 additional bedrooms in close proximity. An aggresive attack should give you a pretty quick knockdown but watch the attic. If this house is built like the ones in our 'hood if the fire gets into the attic it's gone.....

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    This was beaten to death last year, my personal feeling is when you make the landing at the front door, up the stairs = division I. Down the stairs from the landing = subdivision.
    OK, so is it Division I or II? You have I in your last post, but II in your original one?

Forum Member

This was beaten to death last year
    Come on Josh why should this be any different than the other topics that are frequently given repeated beatings

Anway, I agree with PFDwhatever on this one.

By the way, What color helmets does you Dept have?

Forum Member

Originally posted by NFD159

Come on Josh why should this be any different than the other topics that are frequently given repeated beatings

Anway, I agree with PFDwhatever on this one.

By the way, What color helmets does you Dept have?

LMAO!! That is hilarious!!!

Forum Member

ok ..........here is my take.........the landing itself cant be a division,soooooooooooooooo I say see my second post and I already posted that I boo booed.........I could certainly edit my first post to reflect that for ya Brian.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

PS- NFD ..............we think smooth bores do a better job !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

ok ..........here is my take.........the landing itself cant be a division,soooooooooooooooo I say see my second post and I already posted that I boo booed.........I could certainly edit my first post to reflect that for ya Brian.
    That's an interesting take...201...
    Why not use the K*I*S*S method and say that anytime you go up a flight of stairs you are on division 2 and anytime you down a flight of stairs you are in the subdivision/basement...

You could always just delete the post you screwed up on!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: WWYD

You pull up on this house, no residents greet you.
    RECEO.

My take...

Fire is probably in a bedroom. If it's dusk, there may not be anybody home. If it's morning there may be. There's a car out front so we'll check to be sure. Hopefully, they're at the neighbors... how did the call come in?

Two of us will start the search on the main floor, to the right, make the circle and go downstairs. When they're done they'll return to the main floor & help get things opened up.

At the same time the other two will stretch the handline and make the attack on the fire. Room & contents, vented, so it won't be a big deal. They'll knock down the main fire, quickly check for extension to the attic space, then finish it all up.

Eventually some other folks will get a back up line standing by, do a secondary search, establish RIT, and all that other stuff you're supposed to do.
    Last edited by jpsmith2; 02-11-2004 at 08:14 PM.

Forum Member

Just a side note, the porch light is on, may want to cut the power also. Could mean someone is home or just on a motion detector/timer.

Forum Member

how can you be on division 2 ?> and then the basement ? where is divsion 1 ?..................this thread had more cheap scat then toilet convention !
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like a car in the lower left of the photo - I'm going to say it's occupied until I hear an all clear.

Looks like a 1 3/4 will handle the room and contents O.K. but the attic might be a bit of a problem.

I can't make out from the pic if there's smoke coming from the eave just over the door or if that's just banking down from the right side of the photo.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

how can you be on division 2 ?> and then the basement ? where is divsion 1 ?..................this thread had more cheap scat then toilet convention !
    That's the problem that we were running into. No cheap scat about it. Not trying to stir the pot, but this may help people understand our predicament a little better since a good portion of the residences in our fair city are of this type and another style of split level. Maybe we should have posted a couple of pictures when it was posted before.

Me personally, I would say Division I and Basement, but, as you can tell from the pic, many would take it as a two story.

As for the WWYD, same consensus as the others. 1 3/4 to the upper level with simultaneous search. Assume the structure is still occupied. Need crew to the attic ASAP to check for extension.......

Forum Member

ullrichk.........I could not tell, I erred on that had extended up there, but it could be smoke just wafting by.
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Damn ................(oh can I say that here ?)'77 still loves me and I was refereing to the other banter.....
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

MembersZone Subscriber

This is what we have pulling up. Good working fire in a bedroom, extending into the attic.
    First line to the bedroom, Truck to the roof to open up, 2nd due engine search other bedrooms for victims.
    Other companies can be RIT, and help open up.
    I would go interior on this without a doubt.
    If the fire was on the garden level, extending up, I'd probably hit the eaves and sweep to the window then move in. Too much chance of loosing the entire building and victims. If we go in and down the fire in the attic will just grow unchecked.
    I wouldn't want crews working as the meat of a fire sandwich.

Forum Member

My take is that this is a fire in the interior sector. Place a ppv fan at the front, and one at the back and let them blow like the dickens. Oh, sorry wrong department.

Seriously, I live in home similar to this one. When you enter the home you go upstairs to the main living area, and downstairs to the basement. I had always thought of my main living floor as my first floor, although from outside view it sure looks like a 2 story structure. I'm kinda thinkin here (yes it hurts to do this) that maybe the first floor (division 1) should be ground level. If you have to go up due to a landing being your only ground floor, maybe that should be D-1. Same if you have to go down, basement-1. Still pondering this in our area. Either way, as long as crews know what type of structure were dealing with should work either way. Some of us our smarter then others is were the problems happen.

Quick attack with 1 3/4 to fire floor, with search follwing team in. Looks like that is the bedroom area, so search could also be done by attack team if needed. Vent ASAP, from the roof if safe. As pfd19323479283 said, these ones will go quick if it gets up there.PPV if good knockdown happened. Don't forget your safety guy. That is enough. Just call 102!!

Forum Member

I'd set up the deck gun and blast the front window where the fire is coming out. Then go in and mop it up with our booster reel.

Forum Member

Surely you cannot be serious ?>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Thread Information