Thread: Light bars

Forum Member

Default Light bars

I just joined a volunteer department, I was looking through this Galls catalog at light bars, whats brighter LED's or strobes???
    I want to buy one soon.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Member

Default Oh god......not again

Webteam,
    You might as well shut this one down right now. I think it's going to get pretty bad again.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Lightbulb Welcome....

RowdyBrassPiper...
    First let me welcome you to the boards. I think the sentiment that CodeBlue was trying to convey was that your question, although valid, has been hashed out here a lot. It inevitably turns into a 'blue light' vs 'no blue light' argument that will include the occasional sidebar into career vs. volly. Mixed in, there will be some useful information on stobes and LEDs.

My suggestion to you is to utilize the search function and read through the gamut of posts on the subject. If you then find a detailed question that might be better answered, go to town.

Congratulations on joining the brotherhood....stay safe.

-Devil
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Temporarily/No Longer Active

i don't have experiance with the light bars but based on first hand experiance with the dash lights here's what I found.
    The LEDs have a longer livespan and pull less AMPs from your electrical system.
    The Strobes have more of an attention getting FLASH that seems to attract more attention than the LEDs and the strobes are less expensive.
    Whatever system you choose do 2 things. Make sure to write down the serial number of the bar you get in case it's stolen. Not to long ago a Vollie walked back to his truck in a parking lot to find the lightbar missing from the roof. Someone had cut the cord and taken it. Luckily someone had seen the theft and the lightbar was recovered from another vollie from a neighboring FD.
    Aslo, Keep your receipts and when you file your taxes have your tax preparer deducted it as a volunteer related expense along with any other FD gear you purchase.
    Good Luck,
    Steve

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Don't completely dismiss bars with Halogen rotating lights. They pull about the same amps as the Strobes but cost less.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also before purchasing, you may want to check with local and state law concerning use of emergency lights on a P.O.V. Some volunteers in my dept. spent hundreds of dollars on wig- wags, strobes, etc. only to find out that state law will not allow it, due to liability issues. Also, your vehicle insurance carrier may have something to say about it.

Default Re: Light bars

Originally posted by RowdyBrassPiper
    I just joined a volunteer department, I was looking through this Galls catalog at light bars, whats brighter LED's or strobes???
    I want to buy one soon.

Thanks for your help.
    Instead of spending money for "whoo whoo" lights and "I fight what you fear" tee shirts, I have an idea....save your money and purchase the IFSTA ESSENTIALS of FIREFIGHTING 4th edition and educate yourself.
    The information in that book far outwieghts the benefits of a "whoo whoo" light.
    A good firefighter is educated, deicated and doesn't miss an opportunity to train

Forum Member

Strobes get more attention, LEDs are very bright if you look right at them.
    ---Steve---

Forum Member

Originally posted by OCFD1211
    Strobes get more attention, LEDs are very bright if you look right at them.
    Actually, LEDs will get just as much, if not more, attention than strobes will. A lot of it depends on the kind you use. Whelen makes very good flush mounted LEDs for apparatus. I haven't seen one of their lightbars, but the single, flush-mounted LEDs work great.

The local "big-city" department buys all of their new apparatus with a complete LED package, with the exception of the main lightbar and the 2 rotator/stobe combos on the upper rear. In fact, we just replaced 2 strobes on the back of our engine with LEDs, plus added 2 more to the back and 2 on each side of the engine, and it makes a world of difference. It is a 1989 and we wanted to bring the lighting closer to current NFPA requirements, plus make it more visible for our safety.

There have been many advances in LED technology and they are much better than they originally were, including visibility at angles.....

Forum Member

Instead of spending money for "whoo whoo" lights and "I fight what you fear" tee shirts, I have an idea....save your money and purchase the IFSTA ESSENTIALS of FIREFIGHTING 4th edition and educate yourself.
    Thanks for your input Jolly, I mean Vollie. I already have a Essentials 4th edition and do take training very seriously.

I also have an idea for you...for being a Vollie4life like you are, how about not slammin' your volly brothers with your little "whoo whoo" light comment and tee-shirt comment.

I feel bad for you dude, after reading some of your other posts, you must be one frustrated private on your small volly department. I have a feeling your one of those vollies that go to a ton of classes and feel your more qualified than your chief and other officers, but just cant get that promotion you think you deserve. Keep readin' that Essentials book pal, your day will come
    Last edited by RowdyBrassPiper; 03-04-2004 at 09:23 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Here we go again!!

codeblue81 you were right! Looks like it is going to get messy in here, all because a wet behind the ears probie doesn't know his place!

RowdyBrassPiper, I have some advice for ya, you can take it as friendly advice from an old timer.

RUN, HIDE AND BE QUIET because you are getting ready to get an earful and a good butt chewing. Disrespecting a senior firefighter is a NO NO both on these forums and the fireground. Evidently you haven't learned too much yet. I can see right now that you are going to be the pride of your department especially with all 500 flashing, revolving whacker lights going at once and your attitude.
    Can the attitude Dude and your stay here will be pleasant, keep it up and these guys will run you off so fast your head will spin. I have seen it happen time and time again. Don't believe me?? Wait and see!
    I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the show.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Forum Member

OK..OK..OK..Stop the madness before it begins, I am very disappointed to the fact that asking a simple question is obviously going to turn in to a mud sling. We are obviously going to get way off my post question, so lets stop here. For those who answered my question...thank you, it helped. For those that embarresed me by saying I should by a training book to educate myself instead of buying a so called "whoo whoo" light and make fun of my "I fight what you fear" t-shirt or call me a "whacker" for having 500 lights on my car (which I surly dont have that many) I cant let that go without saying at least something back. I am not disrespectful in no way...but I dont appreciate being made fun of by other so called vollunteer firefighter brothers. I am starting to see the fact that some volly's have a complex on certain issues from what I have learned from reading all these forums.

Is it so wrong to have lights and sirens on our POV's? If so, I really dont need them trust me.

Well PUP, First off when you address me..its CAPTAIN or I’ll accept SIR.
    Secondly, personal attacks will not be tolerated on these forums nor will I engage in such attacks.
    The “which light bar is best” and “red light vs. blue light” threads have been played out on these forums and serve no purpose but to bring ridicule to the volunteer fire service.
    Too many times I have seen new members come into the fire service and the first questions are “can I put lights on my car?” or “when do I get to drive the trucks?” or have gone to classes and watched fat bearded “firefighters” with “I fight what you fear” tee shirts on hovering around a $ 200 vehicle with a $1000 worth of “whoo whoo” lights ooowing and ahhing about how bright they are and how fast they flash.

We as volunteers scream “professional” and yet our actions and words are anything but professional.
    In the county I volunteer in, we have many firefighters and officers that barely meet OSHA requirements for interior firefighter and yet demand the same respect as the paid city firefighters who meet national standards and IFSAC certification as a requirement for their employment. ( Many of which also volunteer in the county departments..so don’t take this as a paid/volunteer issue)
    Although I don’t post in many threads, I do allow some of my firefighters to log in under my screen name to ask questions and make comments due to the fact that a lot of them don’t have internet access and Firehouse is a good reference and training tool.
    Part of the firefighters continuing education process is to take the monthly training drill.

You need to sit down, shut up and learn your place in the fire service…show some respect to your volunteer brothers. Do something to deserve the title “Professional Volunteer Firefighter”

Webteam..I know your heads are spinning over this thread…go ahead and lock it down.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up amen

volley, all I can say is amen. You hit the nail right on the head. I had tears in my eyes reading it. The only thing you forgot was respect, which in this day and time of "know-it-alls" is seriously lacking. Have a nice day...Sir.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Forum Member

LOL !!!...Good Lord vollie4life, Take a deep breath, that was a ton of venting...I sure hope you feel better after that one. Thanks for putting things in perspective on todays volunteer fire service for me. I obviously have a lot to learn. No way in the world would I want to ridicule the volunteer fire service that I'm proud to be part of, but from what I'm learning there are alot of issues too, no wonder the "paid" firefighters laugh at us at times.
    You got my respect CAPTAIN, you just earned it.

Speaking of sittin' down...I'd love to sit down with you and have a Guiness and learn all there is all to learn about becoming a "Professional Volunteer Firefighter".
    Last edited by RowdyBrassPiper; 03-04-2004 at 10:26 AM.

Forum Member

Rowdy........... Another piece of advise.......... NO need to segregate in here by saying "the volunteer fire service" and "my volunteer brothers".........

We're all brothers and sisters here, no matter if you are paid or volunteer......... That's a whole other issue that has been hashed out many times........

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Rowdy........... Another piece of advise.......... NO need to segregate in here by saying "the volunteer fire service" and "my volunteer brothers".........

We're all brothers and sisters here, no matter if you are paid or volunteer......... That's a whole other issue that has been hashed out many times........
    I second the motion

Rowdie - some questions as a vollie chief, and you don't have to call me sir. Only my wife & secretary needs to call me sir.

Bear in mind that I'm not chapping you personally.

1. Have you had any of your training? In our department, until you are through with your probie period and have had training ie at least 36hr firefighter or EMT-B, you aren't allowed to run lights and siren in your POV. The last thing we need is a trainee running hot to the station, or even worse, the scene. Most structure fire calls, we have enough people in for the first engine that we don't have room to take the trainees. And if you have engines leaving the station, and POVs arriving, all with lights and sirens, it can turn the civilian traffic into a cluster.

I have found that running lights and siren only saves a half minute tops if I'm out of town at the farm. For this reason, I haven't put lights/sirens on my new car. Flashing lights do come in handy if you respond to a mva in your personal vehicle - kinda warns oncoming traffic that something is up.

To the people spanking rowdy for a light bar question, without knowing him personally, for shame, for shame.

But for anyone perpetuating this vollie vs paid, double to you.

Forum Member

Rowdie - some questions as a vollie chief, and you don't have to call me sir. Only my wife & secretary needs to call me sir.
    Thank you pfd3501...Obviously some folks in this forum demand the ego caressing and demand I call them CAPTAIN or sir.

I just showed some of my brothers on my department this thread at the station and they started laughing and told me welcome to the volunteer forums, thats how they get sometimes. I guess I learned a good lesson here...LOL

To answer your question pfd3501...yes, I have my 36 hr. card and just finished my EMT-B class last week, I'm just waiting on a test date now. My department has the same rules yours does, since I'm close to getting both cards, I'll soon be able to buy emergency lights and sirens for my POV. I never thought in a million years that asking such a simple question would get so out of hand in this forum, but as I said my fellow firefighters in my department explained to me how these topics get out of hand sometimes.

Believe me, I'm in no way a trouble maker, and Yes I respect my senior, experienced brother firefighters, but in no way am I going to get slammed or embarresed on these forums for asking a simple question. I guess its the old Irish temper I have coming out of me.

For those that answered my question...thank you
    For those that slammed me, no hard feelings here, I'd still love the opportunity to buy you two a Guinness.

Thanks,
    Rowdy "Pup" Piper
    Last edited by RowdyBrassPiper; 03-04-2004 at 02:08 PM.

Well PUP, some of us DEMAND respect from those who show us DISRESPECT.
    You are the one who disrespected your brother firefighters by name calling and unfounded accusations.
    To refresh your memory you said:
    I feel bad for you dude, after reading some of your other posts, you must be one frustrated private on your small volly department. I have a feeling your one of those vollies that go to a ton of classes and feel your more qualified than your chief and other officers, but just cant get that promotion you think you deserve. Keep readin' that Essentials book pal, your day will come
    Last edited by RowdyBrassPiper on 03-04-2004 at 01:23 PM
    And this
    Thanks for your input Jolly, I mean Vollie.

For insulting a senior firefighter you deserve a good lashing.
    I came from a very aggressive volunteer department where you had to earn your crust and the respect of your fellow firefighters. 2/20 firefighters were delt with and humbled on many occasions.. (For your info a 2/20 firefighter is one who has been in the service for 2 years and acts like he has been in for 20..In your case that would be 36 hours of training and acting like you have been in for 20 years)
    Believe me, my Essentials 2nd,3rd and 4th editions are well worn. As you move through the evolution of your fire service career, you will come to realize that the more you learn, the less you actually know. Constant review and honing of your skills is a must. Just because you threw ladders and pulled hose in your firefighter class doesn’t mean you are proficient at the skill…just that you passed the test.
    Do you honestly believe that with your level of training, you possess the skills to make educated life changing decisions if you arrive on the scene of an emergency first?
    Do you believe that with your level of experience and training, you can operate your vehicle with lights flashing and siren blaring in a calm and safe manner…how fast does your heart begin to beat when the fire pager goes off?
    Do you run out of the house while the call is still being dispatched?
    When you arrive in your POV with lights flashing and identify yourself as a firefighter, the public doesn’t know the difference between a fresh inexperienced firefighter and an experienced one.
    We all started with no experience and a misguided notion of what being a firefighter is.
    Training and experience will mold you into a “Professional” firefighter…you will earn your crust in time..just remember to show respect to those whose crust runs thicker than yours.

Oh yea..I prefer Yuengling

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I raise a cold Yuengling to ya Bro....Lets move on my friend

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thread drift from light bars to respect?

Respect as an individual is earned, not demanded.

This would probably be even more true on a internet forum board like this than at the station.

At the station, I have every expectation that a newbie will respect an officer or senior members position, orders on scene, etc. The respect for the individual is earned, not granted by decree.

On scene, you often have to be abrupt. There's not any extra time for explanations. If you are in charge, they need to respect the postition and your orders. When you get back to the scene, part of mentoring is explaining the where's and why's of what you did. It goes a long way toward that person's education.

When I was a rookie, even as vfd kid (my dad was a captain on the same dept) I still expected abrupt orders. The officers I learned from and respected the most were the ones who afterward took the time to explain what they did, what I did, what I might have done wrong, and how to improve. The ones who just shouted orders and called me and my fellow rookies screwups, and couldn't afterward explain the hows and whys weren't given the personal respect. I knew all the officers were good firefighters, and good on scene officers, but the ones that could give a pat on the back as well as a kick in the *** were looked up to more.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Just a reminder, spank me later if you wish.............This is just a forum, not the friggin fire department! Captain......Sir
    Can't we just get along as brothers in the fire service? I've seen no disrespect from RowdyBrassPiper.

As far as lights are concerned, LEDS are much easier to install than stobes. And yes I have strobes and LED's on my truck.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Rowdy, take it from an assistant chief who gets the "privelage" of running red lights and siren, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Personally I run code 3 to less than 1% of the calls I respond to for the simple fact of liability, if I get nailed in an intersection by some non attentive motorist who doesn't see me, it's me thats going to get hurt, much less someone else, and I just created a situation that may be worse than the one I am responding to. If you do decide to get all the lights and cool stuff go with the led's, longer life span, less power draw, and in my opinion easier to see by others in some conditions: IE bright sunlight. Good luck, and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some good replys there ... i to am using a friends site ....volly very well put we are no longer vollys we are unpaid professionals ... i have been in the fire service 25 years held positions from president to chief also i am a state instructors and you know what .... i still take classes as many as i can cause we NEVER know everything and theres always room to learn more and different ideas. i have more patchs than carter has liver pills and no they are not on my coveralls they are in a shoe box on a shelf in my office... good place huh .... welcome aboard pup and good luck and be safe .... as far as my title call me brother don't need a title we are all here to do the same job i am voted in to office because of what i know and experince but i'm no better than my firefighters under me and the officers i have around me "THEY ARE WANT MAKE ME A GOOD OFFICER " i still put my pants on one leg at a time like everyone else

Forum Member

but his typing could use a little work ! LOL ...........good post !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information