Thread: Washing the rig

Early Adopter

Default Washing the rig

I know that we've discussed how to wash apparatus, but I'm curious as to when you guys wash your rigs. I just got in a heated debate with a member of the off-going shift on what time is too late to wash a truck.

He suggested that if the truck gets dirty after 8 p.m. or so, it should be the responsibility of the next shift to wash it. I said that if there was going to be a cut-off time, it should be much later... like midnight or 0200.

What's the rule in you guys' departments? Are you ever allowed to leave a dirty truck for the next shift? How late is too late to wash a rig?

MembersZone Subscriber

We're a vollie department but the trucks get at least wiped down with chamois after every run. If it's raining, snowing whatever, they get washed after every run.

I realize that's easier for us to do with our 300 runs a year than a busy department.

Seems to me like the rig should get washed in the morning unless you really get it slopped up, then wash it a.s.a.p.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

In our hall the day shift washes the pumper. Generally we use common sense, if it isn't dirty we don't wash it. If it is the winter we don't wash it after every run or we could be washing it all day.

Forum Member

Like WTFD10 we're a vollie dept..Our units are washed after every call day or night..And we have a duty crew on sundays who usually wash the apparatus anyways...Winter they are always washed....Summer unless they are super clean which doesn't seem to happen much they are always washed...Like WTFD10 again we do about 450-500 runs and got 67 members and usually have 40 people to calls so we got plenty of members to do this...

Stephen
    Capt/MFR
    KVFD

Priorities:
    #1 Equipment back in service
    #2 Reports
    #3 Rinsing/Washing/etc of the apparatus.
    And getting back to your employer can bump #2 & #3 till later in the day.

Basically, with our run volume also fairly low, if the truck gets dirty, you rinse it unless you're really pressed for time.
    IACOJ Canine Officer
    20/50

Forum Member

Officer's call.

Dirty rigs get washed in the morning and before dinner, if needed. After dinner, rigs get hosed down if conditions warrent.

Forum Member

Well in our dept, we don;t do reports persay..we have call logs which is done by whomever is working radio..Says where it is,what it is,Gives Time of Page,Time Out,Tim On,Time Off and Time In...What Firefighters on scene...all that good stuff....and during day time we got about 12 people who are the employer so we stick around and can do the washing and what not..When i say we have 40 members i didnt mean i guess we always have 40 members stay and wash..but they help get bottles topped up and back into service...

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Not Us........................

We have 4 full time folks on weekdays 0700 - 1700 and we try very hard to dump everything on them, dirty dishes, dirty apparatus, etc. OK, JUST KIDDING Put down that axe!............... We wash the apparatus when it needs it, which is not necessarily after EVERY run, but it is almost daily. There have been times that I have washed the same rig 3, 4, even 5 times in one day. Grass fires during mud season comes to mind, as well as Salt Season, which we're now in. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

SOG's says that after 11pm we don't have to wash it. Now common courtisy says that we try to was it up until about 3am...but that is not required.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

We wash it when it's dirty. Could be after 1 call, could be after 15 calls. When there's snow/slush/ice/road salt all around, they tend to get the bottom half rinsed off more often.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

All trucks will be washed before you go off duty 0700 hrs. If a call lasts past 0700 the on-duty crew either helps wash the truck or in our case, usually says go home we'll take care of it. We have dirt roads, snow and ice to deal with also. We wash the trucks down after each run if needed. We run about 2500 calls per year.

Forum Member

don't know if this makes a lot of sense or not, but we generally rinse equipment after a run in the slop (rain, snow, snowmelt, etc) and wash as necessary.

MembersZone Subscriber

We wash in the morning if needed. Sometimes just a wet and wipe. We rinse the slop off in winter.

One thing we were told by the manufacturer, don't bother washing if you don't have the time to dry it.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We try to just hose it off after each run to get the surface dirt off and it gets washed first thing in the morning. If the oncoming Engineer feels the truck is too dirty he wont accept it and it is the offgoing Enineer's responsibility to get it clean. Of course his crew should assist in anyway possible.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a winter cutoff of 20:00 for washing rigs. Any calls after that and the next shift washes, temperature permitting.

In the summer we usually wash as needed in the daytime and before shift change if we've been out late.

I used to work for a department that washed after every call as soon as the rig was back in service.

Either way is fine with me so long as everyone's on the same sheet of music.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

We usually wash after every call if it's dirty. When it is really cold out and it is an EMS run the officer may decide to leave it for day shift, as soon as you apply water it freezes to the truck.It is very rare we come back form any call and not leave with clean vehicles for the next time.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Depends on the type of call, type of road, road conditions, and how dirty it is.

The paid staff is required as part of their daily duties to wash each piece of apparatus each day, weather permitting.

After calls, if it's really dirty (working fire, dirt road, wet roads, etc.) it'll get washed before any vollie is released from the station. Usually we'll have enough where we can split the crews up...part will clean hose, part will clean scba's, part will clean the trucks. If it's still raining, we might rinse the truck down...but we'll wait until after the roads dry off to scrub it.

Our SOP's show that it's the senior member's call. Since I'm the station officer, I'll usually defer that call to the on duty paid engineer, since it would be his behind that gets in a sling if one of the higher up's has a problem with the condition of the truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Saturday is set a side as drill day for all of our stations. Each piece of apparatus gets washed and waxed after such drills regardless. This is a complete detail inside and out.

We always rinse the truck off after each run, and if needed, we will completely wash it if it deems needed so. The biggest thing is to make sure your nozzles get a through soaking in warm water and a little soap. Nozzles collect allot of road grim and this is easily overlooked. During the rinse down of the trucks, we will rinse the nozzles down on the pre-connects. Its a task that takes only seconds
    Last edited by captjab; 02-13-2004 at 05:26 PM.

Forum Member

All apparatus are washed each morning after the 8:00 AM line up. This is out shift change time. If the rigs is used during the day and get dirty, it is washed again around 4:30 to 5:00 PM. Normally it isn't washed again after 5:00 PM. If it snowing or raining during the shift, the vehicle is hosed down well and then the shirt next morning will wash it. The windshields and windows are always wash well and dried regardless of what the weather is outside. Each week the apparatus is cleaned inside and out, compartments, ladders, tools. etc very well.

Ours is a department porcedure and for the most part is upheld. Of course when you have a laxed officer, it puts a lot on the driver to be sure the ride is maintained.

Stay Safe and Well out there..

Rigs are washed every day at 1600. Only exception is extreme cold. In bad/sloppy weather they get hosed off as soon as you return to quarters.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Paid guy comes on duty at 6am and will take care of washing the rig before he leaves at 6pm. Sweet.

Forum Member

Our generally accepted cut-off for washing is about 21:00. If the roads are sloppy a lot of guys will rinse it off when we get back in and that's good enough. We try not to wash when it gets down near 0.

Forum Member

Default Same here ..

Originally posted by Hobbitt
    Rigs are washed every day at 1600. Only exception is extreme cold. In bad/sloppy weather they get hosed off as soon as you return to quarters.
    We do it at 1000 every day and rinse after all calls.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Fire rigs and the meat wagon get washed until 2200.
    The interior of the ambulance is a 24/7 operation.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Truckie

Engines and trucks get washed in the morning after the FEO does the operation checks, the box gets a bath inside and out in the morning also, and cleaned during the shift as required. If the weather is sloppy, the equipment may get a rinse prior to 2200.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information