Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Do Your Depts Charge Rural Fire Taxes??

Just a lil poll more than anything. A few years back our dept started,along with a few others,charging a fire tax.This means a certain % of 100 dollars goes to the dept. I think this fire tax is great. We've refurbished our entire hall,Baught a new pumper and just baught an aerial which was a shade over a million dollars, which we'll have paid in 10 years now. I just wanna know if you other volunteers have the same type of deal where you are?

Here The Regional Services Board charges a fee to towns and cities that avail of our Dept's services based on population and number of calls in the previous year
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

Here every property owner in our fire district pays a % to the district based on property value.

No fire tax here, hell we cant even get the village to support us,lol

MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Cool

As far as I know the Rural Municipality charges a tax based on land value and size. Then the smart farmers get insurance for their buildings and personal property. It's amazing how many people do not have basic insurance. There is also a service (call-out) fee if they are burning off crops and do not report it to 911. If the dept gets a call to their yard the fee is then charged to the property owner. That has reduced the number of unnecessary call-outs.

MembersZone Subscriber

We recieve a retainer from the municipality around our town to provide coverage for a certain amount of calls. After that number (65 calls for $40000) we bill the municipality on a per call basis. We generally get around $50,000 a year for that service.

But, I digress. The municipality pulls out a certain amount from resident's taxes each year for "protective services."

Thread Information