Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hydrant markers

Default hydrant markers

Our fire association feels it necessary to have hydrant markers. But there seems to be many pros and cons to each type (flags, reflectors on the road, painted symbols on the road).

What I would like are your opinions on what I have listed above or another way of tagging a hydrant.

Weather is a factor were I live. We get snow. Lately a lot of snow.

Thank you

Some towns around here have a little fiberglass pole on top of the hydrants, they have reflective trim wrapped around them, there good for when you get alot of snow and cover them up, and also when there is brush hiding them.

Also if your buddy buddy with the road department you can get the reflectors in the prosperous areas (in front of the plug) a different color, you know the reflectors between the yellow lines, I think somewhere around here they use a blue reflector for the hydrants.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

We've always put blue reflectors in the road. The problems are 1) they eventually get busted or knocked off and 2) whenever the road is paved, you gotta do them all over again.

I just recently noticed that another department in the county has started putting amber reflectors around the barrel of the hydrant just above the caps. Each reflector is about 1" high by 6" long. They appear to basically wrap the circumference of the hydrant with these things, leaving a small gap between each reflector. I haven't got a close look at them to see how they're attached, but I can say they are VERY effective.

We were able to get large sheets of reflective paper from our Public Works department. It's the same stuff they make signs out of... reflective (blue) on one side and sticky on the other. We cut it into rectangles and placed them on each plug. They are fairly effective.

Personally, I would like to paint the caps a reflective gray/silver. I've seen paint that looks matte in the day and reflects at night... which is along the lines of what would probably look/work best.

We use the fiberglass sticks. They work great in the snow, and we have actually started leaving them on all year rather than taking them on and off. We have found that with the reflective markings on them they make the hydrant easier to find in the middle of the night or in a bad rain storm, etc.

The only thing we have to do is stand with the marker bent down between your legs (no comments kids.... ) in order to spin the wrench to open the hydrant. Other than that, they have been worth the time and money to get them and install them.

We went for metal rods with reflective circles on the top. Hey, they were donated so we couldn't beat the cost. They suck. After 2 months, almost every one of them was bent in some interesting shape around the hydrant so they could not be seen anyway. I have seen the flexible fiberglass ones used and they seem to be much better. We also thought of putting striping on the hydrants themselves, problem is, when you are going down a block, you can't see the striping due to all the cars parked in the area.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Our hydrants are marked with metal poles, blue reflective striping...and locations are painted on the street. In addition, the fire desk transmits the 3 nearest hydrant locations by intersection...or address.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Our town reflective signs with a little picture of a hydrant..Clearly shows day or nite,rain or snow where the hydrants are

Forum Member

double post sorry

Our Town Has Reflective Signs..****

Temporarily/No Longer Active Cellblock776's Avatar

We use the blue road reflectors here in our part of Louisiana. No snow here. Just lots and lots of rain.

Our hydrants are painted with a relective gray paint. All officers and and drives make a point to know where hydrants are located. We have location drills 1 once a month we have about 40 streets in our local and 2 of them have no hydrants so our preplan really is vital.
    If we don't do it nobody else will!!!!

The blue reflectors are used here too, snow is not an issue for us. Also,don't bother looking for blue reflectors when you work in the poor section of town like I do... guess they must have started on the "nice" side of town and ran out before they got there.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

We have the metal rods with the reflective "paddle" at the top.

Some of them do get vandalized by the little punks in the neighborhoods.. in that case, we don't replace the marker. We also have hydrant location on the tear sheet printout, so we have a location either way.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Lightbulb

Flags, stickers, signs, markers. They all have been use here. The blue markers, which is a standard color for the federal highways coloring system indicating water or drains are good. If you put them in like the lane markers, they will last until the road is repaved or torn up. Simply using something to stick them to the pavement will be short lived, as vehicles will loose them or the dreadied snow plow will scrape them off on the first snow pushing or plowing.

Now, The best method, regardless of what color you paint your hydrants or plugs whichever. I've never seen a fire plug painted, since a fire plug in below ground and well, you know the story. Anyhow, all our hydrants in the city as well as the adjoining counties are all painted with high quility highway grade spec aluminum paint. The "ring portion" collar below the dome of the hydrant in also painted with high quility reflective paint. Two good coats is better than one. This can use obtain in various colors. This shows up very good when the apparatus is reaponding on the streets. The headlights, roto-rays, Mars Light or whatever you are using hits the stripes on the hydrants good. We have also used this paint to paint the edges on the running boards around the apparatus, giving a good reflective strip on a lower position.

We have hydrants on 90% of each corner in the city. The rest are either on the alley or off the corners. Our drivers are also responsiable for knowing their hydrants in their first due district!

Stay Safe and Well out there..

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone use the reflective bands? Which are a 2-4 inch band that wraps around the entire hydrant with the reflective color indicating the gpm rating of the hydrant. Obviously if the hydrant is covered in snow you cant see the band, but if the hydrants are shoveled out there shouldnt be a problem. These seem to work well at night time because you can see the band in every direction. This with painting caps for daytime operations seems to work well.

Ummmm, I think I just said that. About painting the bands around the hydrant so it can be seen 360 degrees around the hydrant. Snow getting plowed on hydrants is a problem. If you know your hydrants, then simply digging it out shouldn't be a problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasnt refering to actually painting a band, what i was refering to was an actual plastic band. Just wonderding how they withstand the elements.........Same principle just a different application

Painting the "band" that is just below the dome of a hydrant, holds up very well. A once or two year reapplication helps too. We haven't had any problems with type of makings. Sure make the hydrant stand out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Thanks..............

The plastic bands, is this something your department came up with or can you buy them some place? If you can buy them, where???

Dave

Thread Information