Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber pcfdcap1's Avatar
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Default Mt Morris School Fire

Fire consumes the elementary school in Mt Morris
    http://www.wtvo.com/Global/story.asp?S=1642514
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Truss roof on a building that big and I'd stay out of it, too. Anybody know how old the school was?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Cap, were you on the job ? I got no idea how far away that is from ya......
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Pearl City isnt located too terribly far from Mt. Morris. I bet PCFD was one of the responding departments. I saw the footage on the news. Boy it was a blessing no one was killed or injured.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

When Mt Morris struck their 4th alarm, we along with Lena moved a tanker and Lanark an engine up to Shannon Fire in Shannon's new station. We are just far enough away that we didn't get any closer. Half of the Carroll county tankers did respond though. Oh yes, I'm jealous of Shannon's new station too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike, I know how you feel about the new station, except we'd sometimes call MA just to get a new TRUCK in our station. Ours were so old that they looked out of place in our new addition. We fixed that problem, though.
    That's about as close to a school fire as I'd want to get. We've got a couple BIGGGGG Catholic churches in our district. If one of them ever goes, I'm going to be out of town. Neither town has enough water to put them out and the next closest decent supply would be at least 6 miles away. We don't get into big water shuttles down here for some reason. I know that's something we need to work on, but nobody else seems too interested.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Of course, I am always curious about origin and cause. Sounds like it started at the roof level accidentally. I looked, but no one seemed to want to elaborate on it. So we have a fire that was fought with 45 pieces and over 150 firefighters. Sounds like an excellent effort was made.
    Truss roofs are a killer. It's always nice to hear someone who recognizes light weight construction and makes good decisions as a result.
    I always liked mutual aid. Lets you see who the "others live"!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

another good thing about mutual aid ................not so much pickin up to do usually ! ....Art you were about 4 hours away from a phone call to check on ya ............you been ok ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Mt Morris made the national news this morning. They showed some video of the fire and interviewed a school administrator and students. From the video the fire was intense and lots of nice rigs on the scene. The school may be a total loss but at least no FF or students were hurt.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

I was sitting in my office cutting vinyl decals when I heard the call. I was not able to hear most of the radio traffic since I live a distance from Mt. Morris, but I kept hearing the MABAS alarms going out and requests for tankers. I am curious how well the MABAS alarms worked for them. From what I could hear it sounded like it went fine. Like anything else I am sure they found some things that need tweeked. Just glad to hear that no firefighters or students and staff were injured.
    Lil yogi

Communication is always the first thing to take a dump on a major disaster. The was only one real communication problem that I could hear. Some of the responding trucks didn't have the IFREN(MABAS)frequency in their radios and that turned out to be a minor problem. I was really impressed with the Ogle County dispatcher who ran the call. She remained calm and was very professional.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are 45 miles from Mt. Morris......sent a tanker.

Rumor has it that a maintenance man was thawing out frozen pipes.....which started the fire.

One of the articles I read stated that the fire was discovered when a ceiling tile fell in one of the classrooms.........ON FIRE!!!!!
    Smile....it ain't all that bad!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Jaybird told me that even with the communications down, everything went well. We're just getting into this MABAS thing down here so I've been picking his mind. This is about the first big one I've heard about since Division 47 formed. I can not remember ever hearing of a tanker coming from 45 miles away down here. I think we would traditionally just do without water. There's that "T" word. I'm getting lots of ideas here the last week or so. Need to start on those box cards.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information