MembersZone Subscriber

Default How much Corruption and Theft in Fire Departments

Corruption and Theft in Fire Departments

The other day I was talking to a vendor about a sales meeting he had with an unnamed fire department. He told me how his company had come in low bidder and he had gone back to the three man committee to settle some final details. In this meeting one member stated that he wanted $500 for himself out of the sale or it was no deal. The vendor said no and the meeting ended. Days later the vendor got a call that the sale had gone to another company. Do any of you know of such deals? Other than removing this person what should be done? Legal action? Has it happened in your area? It's never happened in our department but I'm sure if it did the person would be removed and stripped of any benifits associated with the department.

I have also heard and seen in the news stories about department members skimming money out of department bank accounts. Like everything else you have mostly good with a few bad thrown in but just wondered what other things go on out there. Unfortunately you hear more about the bad than you do the good. I know some departments and rescue squads keep things internal when events like this happen also. Bad PR for the organization.

Not saying anyone would do anything like this but if you could keep your post general enough so as not to educate in the practice but educate us to be vigilant it would be great. You never know who is looking.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down That's unusual................

Or here, at least, it's rare. In my neck of the woods, the only thing that I can think of was a few years back, when an individual resigned from a VFD after information surfaced about a small amount of money missing from a Soda machine. I've read the stories about "Money disappearing along with the treasurer" but it was always in another state. This is the first time I've ever heard of an outright bribe, and someone who would pull such a trick should be gone. Quickly. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Criminal activity is criminal activity. Go to the police! Let them do their job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Corruption? Maybe, but I doubt it in my department. In my area conflict of interest is more prevelant. Like departments buying from equipment dealers who are also members.

Waste is a different story though. It's embarassing to watch how my department goes through money sometimes. And it's my tax dollars, too.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Not corruption but I have seen certian vendors perfered over others to the point of changing specs so that only that particular vendor could meet the bids. Of course, purchases under a certain amount don't have to go out on bid so if you want to go with a particular vendor then you buy in batches, all under the bid limit. You get WHAT you want from WHO you want and that's it.
    Not corrupt. Just comes from having built up good relations with certian vendors who we've used in the past.

IACOJ BOD

BTDT

Easiest example. Govt Department looking for a certain product. Could the local companies supply it, yup, 4 of us. Does our Govt prefer to buy local where practical, yup.

Did they? Hell no.

International company sent politicians on a fact finding trip to America to visit the factories. With their wives (read girlfriends) as well. Fully paid for, including "relaxation" time.

Did a local company get the work? Hell no.

Welcome to reality. The best you can do is maintain your own integrity.

Just remember.

"To swim with Sharks, you need a detachable fin."

Be Honest, and in the end you will be able to sleep at nights.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Silver bracelet time

He told me how his company had come in low bidder and he had gone back to the three man committee to settle some final details. In this meeting one member stated that he wanted $500 for himself out of the sale or it was no deal. The vendor said no and the meeting ended. Days later the vendor got a call that the sale had gone to another company.
    George is 100% right. Even if the local law wouldn't be interested in something like this, the DA or state Attorney General almost certainly would take it.

That $500 sure isn't worth some old-fashioned jail time on a public corruption charge/

Thread Information