Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up 2004 Program Guidance Now Online

2004 Program Guidance
    for the
    Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program

February 2004

This document provides a summary of the 2004 Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program’s priorities. It explains how to apply, what items can be requested, and how applications will be evaluated. Please read this program guidance carefully. The Final Rule and answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) should also be reviewed when made available on the Web site of the Office for Domestic Preparedness (ODP), U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Together, these four documents will provide you with the information you need to complete the online application. The online application will be available at www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp on or about March 1, 2004.

Default re-posting in this thread

I know this is a double post, but it fits better in here.
    =================
    The guidance is out...

I don't understand why this grant--primarily aimed at departments that don't have basic or adequate firefighting tools-- is being used for CBRNE preparedness.

I appreciate the need for this, but not at the expense of bread and butter firefighting equipment.

If you don't have an astrodome, a petroleum refinery, a huge power generating plant, or some other type of "target hazard," you don't score as well.

I fully support equipping and training departments that serve specific target hazards... I just don't think the Assistance to Firefighters Grant program is the appropriate method.

I know you can request equipment for CBRNE... or "tweak" your equipment requests to meet CBRNE specs... BUT if you don't protect some of the following:

• Public water systems serving large population centers.
    • Primary data storage and processing facilities, stock exhanges, or major banking centers.
    • Chemical facilities located in close proximity to large population centers.
    • Major power generation facilities that exceed 2,000 MW and support the regional electric grid.
    • Hydroelectric facilities and dams that produce power in excess of 2,000 MW or could cause catastrophic loss of life if breached.
    • Nuclear power plants.
    • Electric substations 500 KV or larger, and substations 345 KV or larger that are part of a critical system supporting populations in excess of one million.
    • Rail and highway bridges over major waterways that, if destroyed, would cause catastrophic loss of life or catastrophic economic impact.
    • Major natural gas transmission pipelines in excess of 3,000 bcf.
    • Natural gas and liquid natural gas storage facilities.
    • Major petroleum handling facilities such as pipelines, ports, refineries, and terminals.
    • Telecommunications, Internet and cyber facilities.
    • Facilities that support large public gatherings such as sporting events or concerts.

... then you don't score as high competitively.

I don't think this fits in with the original intentions of the program. I'm not saying that things can't change. When you compare funding requests with funding awards though, it's fairly evident that there is still great need for basic items in the fire service. And I think a majority of the fire departments don't have the target hazards listed above. There are other sources of Homeland Security/CBRNE Preparedness funding... I don't think this should turn into one.
    Last edited by Resq14; 02-14-2004 at 12:53 AM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

There is a definite CBRNE tone to the program guidance. The question is, are you going to have to relate your grant app to CBRNE? Is anyone really going to get awarded if their grant does not provide for CBRNE benefits?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in a rural department in South Carolina. I read the document, and highlighted the important stuff to review with my chief and officers.

Unless the Nuke Fairy drops a facility into a cotton field out here, it looks like we're screwed.

I agree that the original intent of the program has changed focus, which is a shame. We finally have a means of boosting our lousy tax base and getting necessary equipment.

I'm going to rework my narrative, I guess and hope for the best. Also, I suggest a review of your state EDP plan to see where you fit in there, since the Homeland Security rep from your state will perform a technical review if your app gets past the peer review.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Hello, is anybody out there. Don't you people get the hint yet. ODP doesn't do firefighter safety, they ONLY do TERRORISM. It's there in black and white; how come you see no mention of firefighter safety in ODP's program guidance just cbrne? You all have to start wakeing up before it's to late. In a couple of months the topic in this forum will be REMEMBER the Fire Grants. Start calling your Congressmen before it's to late. Odp is getting the states invloved now, so the states can run the program next year for their Terrorism programs. How many more hints do you need...

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with all of you. We need to get this changed back to what it was. I too have no problem with grant programs for terrorism and everything that goes along with it. However, this program was started for basic fire fighting activies before (Pre 9-11)terrorism was a major concern.

Like I said, I dont have a problem with legislators wanting to help us be prepared for those issues. But the chances of those activites happening in my area are pretty slim. We need fire fighting equipment and PPE and that is what the FIRE act is suppose to be about!!

We need to get our county and state associations on this. As of right now, I don't feel like even filling out an application because I don't think my chances of being awarded would be that good.

Everyone of can help, write your legislators and let your opinions be heard. They will listen if enough of us speak out!

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

I went to a seminar Friday night with a guy from FEMA (they are still coordinating for ODP. We were warned NOT to apply for CBRNE equipment, if you do your app will be flagged and have to meet the criteria for "critical infrastructure" and get reviewed by a State rep to ensure you aren't getting funded from other grants. For instance if you want SCBA, ask for it for firefighter safety, not CBRNE. We were told the overriding theme is firefighter safety and to base any application we make on safety for firefighters and basic firefighting. CBRNE equipment is included this year and YES, talk to your representatives, the whole thing may go to the States next year.

MembersZone Subscriber mtomek112's Avatar

Default Dumb question here........

Dumb question, what does CBRNE stand for??

Thanks,
    Matthew Tomek
    Bolivar County VFD
    Cleveland, MS
    mtomek@bellsouth.net

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe it is chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosives.

MembersZone Subscriber mtomek112's Avatar

Thanks for the answer

Thread Information